Wiki Posts
Search

Security at JNU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Security at JNU

Sorry if this should go in a different forum, but figured you all would be the most likely JNU fliers.

I know they don't have TSA Pre-check, but is there any sort of expedited security?

Also, is a 3.5 hour layover enough time to catch a cab to the Alaska Brewery for a tour/brew and get back? Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Sorry if this should go in a different forum, but figured you all would be the most likely JNU fliers.

I know they don't have TSA Pre-check, but is there any sort of expedited security?

Also, is a 3.5 hour layover enough time to catch a cab to the Alaska Brewery for a tour/brew and get back? Thanks!
JNU has precheck lite. 3.5 hours will give you plenty of time at the brewery.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |

What kind of beers do you like? A lot of people here in Anchorage prefer Midnight Sun Brewing, but I don't dig IPA's and hoppiness. For Alaskan Brewing I'd go: White, Amber, and bronze going to Summer. Smoked Porter is interesting, along with the spruce tip Winter.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

That's plenty of time to do the brewery. Just make sure you have a cab lined up to get back; it isn't walking distance from JNU (nor is the brewery really near anything, unless you want to check out the Juneau Costco).

Also, the tour isn't really a tour. They have a big room where everybody sits down, and they tell the story of the brewery's history while giving you free beer.

Edit: Just an FYI, JNU does have precheck lite (keep your shoes on), but there isn't a separate line for elite passengers. So be prepared to stand with everyone else, although it usually moves pretty quickly.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks! Keeping shoes on at least is a plus (we basically have Pre-Check Lite here in VPS most times since Pre-Check is never open).

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
What kind of beers do you like? A lot of people here in Anchorage prefer Midnight Sun Brewing, but I don't dig IPA's and hoppiness. For Alaskan Brewing I'd go: White, Amber, and bronze going to Summer. Smoked Porter is interesting, along with the spruce tip Winter.
Pale Ales typically, but I'm always up for suggestions; thanks, I'll look into it! And I'll make sure to set up a cab for the ride back to the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Chugach
Just make sure you have a cab lined up to get back; it isn't walking distance from JNU (nor is the brewery really near anything, unless you want to check out the Juneau Costco)...
Arrived at JNU with 15 mins until takeoff thanks to a long wait for a cab... We kept getting ignored in favor of cruise passengers who would flag down the drivers that we called.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:16 pm

Great, thanks! Keeping shoes on at least is a plus (we basically have Pre-Check Lite here in VPS most times since Pre-Check is never open).

Pale Ales typically, but I'm always up for suggestions; thanks, I'll look into it! And I'll make sure to set up a cab for the ride back to the airport.
I'm a fan of the Icy Bay IPA. AS has been serving these on board for a while now.

The room where the tour is is pretty cool in that bordering the top of the wall is a collection of many of their bottle labels. Neat to see.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by QXflyer
Arrived at JNU with 15 mins until takeoff thanks to a long wait for a cab... We kept getting ignored in favor of cruise passengers who would flag down the drivers that we called.
Uber can't get to this state fast enough. Hopefully our legislature doesn't screw that up.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
The white is fantastic
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QXflyer
Definitely something I didn't consider, so I'll build more time in. Or heck, pay someone else at the brewery that's there with us ha. Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:38 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Chugach
Uber can't get to this state fast enough. Hopefully our legislature doesn't screw that up.
Uber was in the state once - in Anchorage. But they didn't last long.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Uber was in the state once - in Anchorage. But they didn't last long.
I know. It was a total circus.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Any updates on the PreCheck options at JNU; still -lite? Assuming there wouldn't be a lot of terminal traffic on a Tuesday 0700 flight in July...

TIA!
Old May 14, 2023, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Any updates on the PreCheck options at JNU; still -lite? Assuming there wouldn't be a lot of terminal traffic on a Tuesday 0700 flight in July...

TIA!
Still pre-check lite. The bag scanning people don't like candy or food. You need to place packages of candy/food in the bins if you don't want a secondary inspection of your bag.

There is a pre-check lane and a regular lane but usually only one TSA person so he/she alternates taking people from the lines. AS flights at 520a, 715a (stops in Ketchikan), 729a (to Anchorage) and 8am so you will have some AS people mixed in with the DL flight. I usually don't arrive until ~55 minutes before my flights but that's me; since you are returning a rental car and it's summer with a lot of tourists who may be slow in the line I might be inclined to recommend that you get there at least 60-70 minutes before..
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; May 14, 2023 at 7:00 pm Reason: Add some more info as I thought of more AS flights
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:26 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I went through security about 0530 for my 0700 flight; as stated there was only one agent handing ID check. There was one couple in front of me in Pre-Check and nobody in regular. The agent said it would get more crowded closer to 0600. Also good tip about food in bags; they were actively questioning all passengers about it. My two nut bars from the Best Western welcome amenity were allowed to remain in my backpack.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.