Reload this Page >

Which side of the plane to sit on?

Old Jan 10, 13, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

We're quite excited to be going in search of the Northern Lights next month. We'll be flying AS SEA-ANC-FAI. Is one side of the plane better than the other to get the best views?
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:42 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
We're quite excited to be going in search of the Northern Lights next month. We'll be flying AS SEA-ANC-FAI. Is one side of the plane better than the other to get the best views?
Right hand side SEA-ANC, left side ANC-FAI.
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 13, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
+1

When I flew from DFW-ANC, I sat on the right side windo seat. These are some images that I captured. Click link below:

http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/RTW-R...9454&k=F45ZhDH
Old Jan 12, 13, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
+1

When I flew from DFW-ANC, I sat on the right side windo seat. These are some images that I captured. Click link below:

http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/RTW-R...9454&k=F45ZhDH
Thanks for sharing the fantastic photos! We've moved our seats to the right hand seat northbound, left hand southbound.

Hope you don't mind, I also took a look at your other Alaska photos. You have really inspired me - I'm going to start planning another trip.
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update: thanks, folks!

We saw Denali in all its splendor on the way up (ANC-FAI) and not as close up but still visible in the distance on the return (ANC-SEA). The FA on the outbound flight said Denali had been clear all morning and she'd seen the Alpenglow on it a few hours earlier!
Old Mar 13, 13, 7:04 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Alright, it never occurred to me to ask about this!

Any suggestions for which side to sit on from MSP-FAI?
Old May 26, 13, 9:59 pm

*bump*

This forum doesn't seem to be too active; my question from two months ago is still on the first page! :-)

Just wondering whether anyone has any advice about whether it's better to sit on the port side or the starboard side of the plane. I've never been to Alaska, and want to maximize my sightseeing enjoyment! Or does it not make any difference?

I am heading up there one month from yesterday, so I'm starting to get kind of excited.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 13, 8:09 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by pawtim View Post
*bump*

This forum doesn't seem to be too active; my question from two months ago is still on the first page! :-)

Just wondering whether anyone has any advice about whether it's better to sit on the port side or the starboard side of the plane. I've never been to Alaska, and want to maximize my sightseeing enjoyment! Or does it not make any difference?

I am heading up there one month from yesterday, so I'm starting to get kind of excited.

Thanks!
fti will likely have more to add on this, since he's from MSP, but I would gravitate towards the left side, as you'll have a better chance of seeing the coastal ranges and ice fields on that side (the land to the north and east of the flight path is flatter and less inspiring).

It depends on the route, though. Left is better if you're coming mostly over central Canada. However, I've had MSP-ANC flights fly almost to Seattle and then north (probably due to winds), and if that happens, you'll want to be on the right side (as the left will be the ocean).
Old May 27, 13, 6:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
fti will likely have more to add on this, since he's from MSP, but I would gravitate towards the left side, as you'll have a better chance of seeing the coastal ranges and ice fields on that side (the land to the north and east of the flight path is flatter and less inspiring).

It depends on the route, though. Left is better if you're coming mostly over central Canada. However, I've had MSP-ANC flights fly almost to Seattle and then north (probably due to winds), and if that happens, you'll want to be on the right side (as the left will be the ocean).
Some people say port side from ANC to the lower 48 and starboard from the lower 48 to ANC. But I am with jackal on this - it really depends on the route the flight takes. In my +-30 round trips to Alaska I have had some great views from both sides. Many (most?) flights from ANC to the lower 48 are red eyes so I am usually resting on those almost immediately after take-off. To ANC I generally am not too concerned with which side unless I am flying from/via SEA - then I try to sit on the starboard side for better views of the land/mountains.
Old Jun 3, 13, 6:02 pm

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll try to book us on the port side from MSP to FAI.
We'll be taking a cruise from ANC to YVR -- hopefully we're on the port side for that leg as well! :-) It is only occurring to me now that those seven days are probably the more important ones to consider sides!
Old Jan 17, 14, 12:32 am

Programs: United 1k
just come across this now-we are flying sea to anc then anc to sfo-so
starboard on the way going and either on the way back?

thanks
Old Jan 18, 14, 9:15 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
just come across this now-we are flying sea to anc then anc to sfo-so
starboard on the way going and either on the way back?

thanks
Starboard north; port south.

fti being MSP-based was referring to sitting on either side because his flights toward the midwest take a more easterly route. Your flight to SFO will either hug the coast or be a ways out over the water. In either case, if you want any chance of views on the way south, left is best.

Search this Thread