FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which side of the plane to sit on?
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2013, 6:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jackal
fti will likely have more to add on this, since he's from MSP, but I would gravitate towards the left side, as you'll have a better chance of seeing the coastal ranges and ice fields on that side (the land to the north and east of the flight path is flatter and less inspiring).

It depends on the route, though. Left is better if you're coming mostly over central Canada. However, I've had MSP-ANC flights fly almost to Seattle and then north (probably due to winds), and if that happens, you'll want to be on the right side (as the left will be the ocean).
Some people say port side from ANC to the lower 48 and starboard from the lower 48 to ANC. But I am with jackal on this - it really depends on the route the flight takes. In my +-30 round trips to Alaska I have had some great views from both sides. Many (most?) flights from ANC to the lower 48 are red eyes so I am usually resting on those almost immediately after take-off. To ANC I generally am not too concerned with which side unless I am flying from/via SEA - then I try to sit on the starboard side for better views of the land/mountains.