Reload this Page >

Kenai in January

Kenai in January

Old Dec 26, 11, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, DL SkyMiles SM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Kenai in January

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Kenai, AK for a business trip this January (Yes, I know it will be freezing, and no, I couldn't control when the trip would be!) Anyone have any tips on surviving the cold or other general advice? I've never been to AK.

Do I have any chance of seeing the Northern Lights?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mf26 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be in Kenai, AK for a business trip this January (Yes, I know it will be freezing, and no, I couldn't control when the trip would be!) Anyone have any tips on surviving the cold or other general advice? I've never been to AK.

Do I have any chance of seeing the Northern Lights?

Thanks!
I'll assume that this is a serious question, although I cannot imagine why anybody would go to Kenai for business in January, unless you're going out on a commercial fishing boat. It's going to be very cold and dark most of the day. I would imagine that you're first flying to ANC. Then you can drive or fly. Neither is a great option, but flying is probably better. I haven't actually stayed in Kenai, but have been through there during a stay at Soldatna. I have no idea what sort of lodging or dining is available, but I would suggest that you not get your hopes up.

When I have been in Alaska on business in the winter, I have gone from the airport to a heated cab or shuttle, then to lodging or client. Granted, you may have to walk a bit in sub-zero temps through snow, but it's not too bad. But if you're going to be outside for extended periods, you obviously need to be prepared with appropriate clothing and footware.

Since you've never been to AK, I would encourage you to get a window seat on the flights, and spend at least one night in Anchorage. Northern lights are definitely possible. I had a great view at midnight one night in Anchorage.
Old Dec 27, 11, 2:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Definitely a chance to see the Northern Lights. Check the forecast each night or even try to get either an alert to your cellphone or if at a hotel, get a Northern Lights wake up call.

If you are driving to Kenai, you might consider stopping on the way in Girdwood and, depending on when your trip is, stopping at the Wildlife Conservation Center (might only be open weekends in the winter).
Old Dec 27, 11, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Where do you live? What climate and weather?

You will need proper clothing but you don't have to spend a fortune for it.

Have you ever driving in winter? Snow? Ice?

We need for information to help you.
Old Dec 27, 11, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Don't know the OP's reasons, but Kenai has lots of oil and gas, as well as related service companies. It's a small town, but not some bumpkin place either. As for the weather, I think you're overblowing it a bit. There will be snow...like most of the northern tier of the US in January. It's not that bad. I go to work every day in a suit and somehow survive! ^

Originally Posted by PIONEER View Post
I'll assume that this is a serious question, although I cannot imagine why anybody would go to Kenai for business in January, unless you're going out on a commercial fishing boat. It's going to be very cold and dark most of the day. I would imagine that you're first flying to ANC. Then you can drive or fly. Neither is a great option, but flying is probably better. I haven't actually stayed in Kenai, but have been through there during a stay at Soldatna. I have no idea what sort of lodging or dining is available, but I would suggest that you not get your hopes up.

When I have been in Alaska on business in the winter, I have gone from the airport to a heated cab or shuttle, then to lodging or client. Granted, you may have to walk a bit in sub-zero temps through snow, but it's not too bad. But if you're going to be outside for extended periods, you obviously need to be prepared with appropriate clothing and footware.

Since you've never been to AK, I would encourage you to get a window seat on the flights, and spend at least one night in Anchorage. Northern lights are definitely possible. I had a great view at midnight one night in Anchorage.
Old Dec 29, 11, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, DL SkyMiles SM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
thanks for all the replies!

i am from nyc and work for a nonprofit here, but i went to school in upstate new york so i have some experience with the cold. i'll be flying from anc to ena but was not planning on renting a car - just trying to rely on taxis.
Old Dec 29, 11, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Don't know the OP's reasons, but Kenai has lots of oil and gas, as well as related service companies. It's a small town, but not some bumpkin place either. As for the weather, I think you're overblowing it a bit. There will be snow...like most of the northern tier of the US in January. It's not that bad. I go to work every day in a suit and somehow survive! ^
Agreed.
Wunderground says that today is 7F with light snow.
Old Dec 29, 11, 3:10 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Get a set of Dr. Scholl's flat insets and glue stick foil to the bottom to keep your feet warm unless you have insulated boots. Avoid slick soles for slipping on ice. Get a few chemical heat packs and wear layers, hat and gloves. If you are going to be outside a bit, add glove and sock liners. Might also consider a small keychain flashlite.

Used to work for an outfit involved in O&G up there but now just fly up to Alaska for fun and to get Mexican takeout at Pepe's in Barrow.

Get the BoA Alaska Card if you are flying Alaska.
Old Dec 29, 11, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My skin gets really dry in Alaska in the winter. If that can be a problem for you take along appropriate creams and other remedies.

Other than that, you will be fine based on your own experiences in other cold places.
Old Dec 29, 11, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mf26 View Post
thanks for all the replies!

i am from nyc and work for a nonprofit here, but i went to school in upstate new york so i have some experience with the cold. i'll be flying from anc to ena but was not planning on renting a car - just trying to rely on taxis.
Rent a car. Taxis in AK aren't quite what you're used to in NYC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: