FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kenai in January
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:42 pm
Chugach

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Don't know the OP's reasons, but Kenai has lots of oil and gas, as well as related service companies. It's a small town, but not some bumpkin place either. As for the weather, I think you're overblowing it a bit. There will be snow...like most of the northern tier of the US in January. It's not that bad. I go to work every day in a suit and somehow survive! ^

Originally Posted by PIONEER
I'll assume that this is a serious question, although I cannot imagine why anybody would go to Kenai for business in January, unless you're going out on a commercial fishing boat. It's going to be very cold and dark most of the day. I would imagine that you're first flying to ANC. Then you can drive or fly. Neither is a great option, but flying is probably better. I haven't actually stayed in Kenai, but have been through there during a stay at Soldatna. I have no idea what sort of lodging or dining is available, but I would suggest that you not get your hopes up.

When I have been in Alaska on business in the winter, I have gone from the airport to a heated cab or shuttle, then to lodging or client. Granted, you may have to walk a bit in sub-zero temps through snow, but it's not too bad. But if you're going to be outside for extended periods, you obviously need to be prepared with appropriate clothing and footware.

Since you've never been to AK, I would encourage you to get a window seat on the flights, and spend at least one night in Anchorage. Northern lights are definitely possible. I had a great view at midnight one night in Anchorage.