Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
Actually was think more along the lines of you don't have to claim it at all. It would automatically issue it if the bag didn't get scanned on time with maybe an option on what default you like ie miles or money. Wouldn't really work until the infrastructure at the airport was in place, which maybe never, but we can dream.
Only reason these sorts of programs are sustainable is because of lack of claims and breakage. They get 100% of the marketing benefit by offering it. Auto-paying would be convenient, but you'd be issuing several times more certs than necessary, increasing costs of the program. Just like last night at SFO, I'd be surprised if there were more than our 2 claims out of 100 pax on the flight. Say 50 people checked bags, they'd be paying out 50 claims in an passive pay scenario vs. 2 in an active pay scenario. Then of the claims actually paid, many certs are never used. That's why an active claim vs. a passive approach is necessary.
buschoi, NoLaGent and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Apr 19 MKE-SEA
2 vouchers obtained for a 32 minute bag delivery due to a broken carousel #8 and subsequent move to carousel #13.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: AS 75K
I'm just now remembering a bag logjam at Maui a few weeks ago. I wasn't even thinking of a credit but was so ready to get out of there. The belt just kept rolling.... and bags just kept piling up on the upper tier of the conveyor before falling onto the belt where they were reachable. I was soooooo tempted to just jump up and knock them free. It literally would have taken 10 seconds but with my luck I'd have been arrested. Not to mention the scorn I would have received from those waiting to cash in on the 20 minute guarantee
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by LWkitty
Apr 19 MKE-SEA
2 vouchers obtained for a 32 minute bag delivery due to a broken carousel #8 and subsequent move to carousel #13.
You were lucky to get your vouchers. Malfunction of baggage equipment is one of the things they can deny vouchers for. We were denied when carousel failed and it took 20 minutes to get it running again. Luggage was 35 minutes . Extreme weather is also listed under exemption for claims.
also noticed that T &C now state that claim must be “in person” . I guess we can no longer request it online.

Last edited by pcoll; Apr 27, 2021 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
You were lucky to get your vouchers. Malfunction of baggage equipment is one of the things they can deny vouchers for. We were denied when carousel failed and it took 20 minutes to get it running again. Luggage was 35 minutes . Extreme weather is also listed under exemption for claims.
also noticed that T &C now state that claim must be “in person” . I guess we can no longer request it online.
I was given expired vouchers at PDX last February and sent a message via Facebook about it--they were able to deposit the miles directly so if there is nobody at baggage claim when you arrive, the Facebook/Twitter team should be able to take care of it.
buschoi, pcoll, be_rettSEA and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by channa
Yeah, or the scrutiny is too intense from their management. If a half dozen flights came in at the same time, they'd have an excuse. But on this one, there was no excuse, it was the only flight, not even full, so I think they may have been trying to protect their people by trying to thwart any claims.

Thanks...shouldn't have to be that way, and honestly, the $25 isn't going to make or break me, I was tired and tempted to just leave and hit them with a couple DOT complaints (which would cost them more than $25 to respond to). If it happens again at the same intensity, I might do that. If they're worried about metrics, I wonder how that's gonna look.

SFO can be hit or miss. Usually they're fine, but they can get pedantic. I was once denied over a technicality because the agent tagged both our bags in one name (easier for them). I usually use self tag, but if using an agent, I specifically ask for one in each name, verify it, and if it's not right, make them void a tag and reissue it as requested. They get annoyed, but I explain it's because SFO Baggage is that way.

I was tempted to go back to the carousel and announce to everyone to get their cert after their behavior. I didn't want to speak loudly during COVID and it was late, so I spared them. But I may have done that before when I had a difficult station which may have resulted in the baggage office getting flooded with claims.
SFO last night, bags out at 22 and 23 minutes. Same agents who were previously troublemakers were polite and issued the certs with no hassle. I had reported them to CS for their frustration tactics previously, so maybe now they have their act together. This is just one data point, though.
buschoi, anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
Flew back and forth from SEA to OAK over the weekend. In both cases the first bag was off the carousel just about 20 minutes after arrival. In both cases my bag (with priority tag) came out in 22-23 minutes. The thought of spending 15 minutes or more trying to track down a person to give me $25, especially when the first bag rolled off in 20 minutes just didn't seem worth it.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
SAN argument again

After a year break in my flights to SAN, on my first one again last week I once again I got an argument from the woman at SAN who claimed that my 23 minute bag was not late because bags had started coming out before 20 minutes, which is what the policy states. No it doesn't I said, have you actually read it because I have many times... Anyway, after asking for her name to report to CS she relented and gave us the certs, saying that I shouldn't get so worked up because "its not such a big deal".

Its amazing to me that after all the complaints over the past few years about these SAN agents being argumentative and not knowing the actual policy, nothing has been done to fix them.
channa and anteater like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by srodr
After a year break in my flights to SAN, on my first one again last week I once again I got an argument from the woman at SAN who claimed that my 23 minute bag was not late because bags had started coming out before 20 minutes, which is what the policy states. No it doesn't I said, have you actually read it because I have many times... Anyway, after asking for her name to report to CS she relented and gave us the certs, saying that I shouldn't get so worked up because "its not such a big deal".

Its amazing to me that after all the complaints over the past few years about these SAN agents being argumentative and not knowing the actual policy, nothing has been done to fix them.
Report it to Customer Care. AS won’t know their agents need a policy refresher unless you notify them. 🤙🏻
channa, buschoi and twitch76 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by srodr

I mean, the agent could very well use her own advice? It's also, "not such a big deal" for her to give out a cert, or so one would think.

If the request was indeed in-policy, and you were able to demonstrate that, perhaps the agent could have saved herself some time and energy by accepting the request.
buschoi and Bellerina like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
Flew back and forth from SEA to OAK over the weekend. In both cases the first bag was off the carousel just about 20 minutes after arrival. In both cases my bag (with priority tag) came out in 22-23 minutes. The thought of spending 15 minutes or more trying to track down a person to give me $25, especially when the first bag rolled off in 20 minutes just didn't seem worth it.
This is what I always wonder about - is it my bag gets to me in 20 minutes? Any bag shows itself on the belt by 20 minutes? It seems one could go wait at the far end of the belt and greatly increase their chances of getting a credit. I largely ignored this whole promo for similar reasons - after a long flight I just really don't want the hassle (tired, people waiting at the curb to pick me up, etc.). After reading on here I started to pay attention and it seems like 90% of the time my bags arrive at 18-22 minutes. I just envision a lot of hassle trying to actually collect and it's kind of splitting hairs as to the exact time. Ironically, the time spent going to the desk to collect one time is more minutes of my life than my bags being delayed a few minutes 25X.

It also made me laugh once when I read (maybe on this thread) that some equipment broke down and there was a long delay and AS said the guarantee didn't count because there was an equipment malfunction/problem. LOL... isn't this the whole point of the promo? We guarantee there won't be a problem! It's like a restaurant promising your meal in 10 minutes, "unless something goes wrong." Obviously, when the bags don't arrive within 20 minutes, something has gone wrong.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mtofell
This is what I always wonder about - is it my bag gets to me in 20 minutes? Any bag shows itself on the belt by 20 minutes? It seems one could go wait at the far end of the belt and greatly increase their chances of getting a credit.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nute-guarantee

If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane’s arrival at the gate
Pretty clear to me. It's your bags, not someone else's. At baggage claim not when the belt gets to you. And 20 minutes from the plane's arrival at the gate, not from opening the door, or deboarding.

AS set the terms, including the 20 minute period. They didn't set it at 21 or 19 or 25 minutes, so there's nothing wrong with claiming at 21 minutes or 20 minutes and 10 seconds. If it's not worth it to you when it's slightly over then collect your bags and go. I'd say it still worked because the guarantee, in part, got AS to deliver your bags to you in a timely enough manner that you don't feel a need to claim the guarantee.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
DEN/DIA (depending on who you talk to) is pretty much a lock for a cert. That's Denver btw...
channa likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nute-guarantee

Pretty clear to me. It's your bags, not someone else's. At baggage claim not when the belt gets to you. And 20 minutes from the plane's arrival at the gate, not from opening the door, or deboarding.

AS set the terms, including the 20 minute period. They didn't set it at 21 or 19 or 25 minutes, so there's nothing wrong with claiming at 21 minutes or 20 minutes and 10 seconds. If it's not worth it to you when it's slightly over then collect your bags and go. I'd say it still worked because the guarantee, in part, got AS to deliver your bags to you in a timely enough manner that you don't feel a need to claim the guarantee.
Yeah, this is all great with the policy and whatnot but a "policy" and what actually happens on the ground seem to be worlds apart at times (see post #518 and several others in this thread). Businesses love to brag and promise about things like this and then look for any reason to weasel out of it. Sure, I can go stomp my feet and be a, "Karen" and get my points but I guess my time and dignity are worth more to me than that. To me this is one of those things AS loves to overpromise and underdeliver on (just like GGUs). Honestly, I don't really even blame AS for this. It's just the way of the world these days. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings of any big company trying to give the appearance of value and caring while spending the absolute rock bottom amount to do so.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mtofell
Yeah, this is all great with the policy and whatnot but a "policy" and what actually happens on the ground seem to be worlds apart at times (see post #518 and several others in this thread). Businesses love to brag and promise about things like this and then look for any reason to weasel out of it. Sure, I can go stomp my feet and be a, "Karen" and get my points but I guess my time and dignity are worth more to me than that. To me this is one of those things AS loves to overpromise and underdeliver on (just like GGUs). Honestly, I don't really even blame AS for this. It's just the way of the world these days. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings of any big company trying to give the appearance of value and caring while spending the absolute rock bottom amount to do so.
Have you ever been denied by an agent, written into AS customer care, and still denied the miles?
buschoi and Bellerina like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.