Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: dayone
Wiki Link
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 9, 09, 4:55 am
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,243
Question Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

July 7 the Baggage Service Guarantee was implemented @ AS... I was wondering if anyone has traveled since then and their "...baggage is not at baggage claim within 25 minutes of your plane parking at the gate"

One issue for me is if I want the baggage guarantee... I have to spend less time @ the BR after my flight but I guess that's ok

Here's the fine print from AS:

Baggage Service Guarantee
Starting July 7 - Get Your Bags in 25 Minutes or Get $25

At Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, we extend our caring service to you and your belongings. We understand how important time is to you. That's why we will be the first major U.S. carrier to implement a Baggage Service Guarantee.

Effective July 7, 2009: If your baggage is not at baggage claim within 25 minutes of your plane parking at the gate, you're entitled to a $25 Discount Code for use on a future Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air flight or 2,500 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan bonus miles.

If we don't meet our 25 minute guarantee, simply see an Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air Customer Service Agent for your voucher.
Terms and Conditions Highlights

* Valid on Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air operated flights through December 31, 2009, except for flights arriving from Mexico.
* One Baggage Service Guarantee voucher per ticketed passenger regardless of number of bags checked.
* $25 Discount Code must be applied toward purchase of a ticket on Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air by January 31, 2011. Not redeemable at ticket counters or through travel agent.
* Your Baggage Service Guarantee voucher may not be redeemed for cash, bartered, or sold.
* Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air reserve the right to suspend the Baggage Service Guarantee in cases of airport baggage system malfunctions, severe weather, or other conditions out of the airlines' control that prohibit timely baggage delivery.
Good Luck
beckoa is online now  
Old Jul 11, 09, 3:04 pm
  #2  
ANC
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Posts: 6,548
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air reserve the right to suspend the Baggage Service Guarantee in cases of airport baggage system malfunctions, severe weather, or other conditions out of the airlines' control that prohibit timely baggage delivery.
Gee that leaves them a vague out for just about any situation. What and whose definition of severe weather will be used? I bet mines different than theirs. If a conveyer breaks and bags have to be off loaded by hand IMO opinion that is in the airlines control since preventive maintenace would prevent it. If 5 planes are trying to use the same carousel at once for bags again that to me is an AS problem for lack of planning. It should be interesting. That should be interesting. Im surprised they didnt exempt HNL where it takes DL an hour to get the bags to the carousel. If I wasnt gold and wasnt even traveling with baggage I'd chuck an empty bag into checked baggage just to play a game and see what happened
ANC is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 3:17 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,451
Isn't it a success when they deliver your baggage on time per the guarantee?
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 3:44 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 18,234
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
If I wasnt gold and wasnt even traveling with baggage I'd chuck an empty bag into checked baggage just to play a game and see what happened
Unless i'm missing something it doesnt say you had to pay a bag fee for the guarantee to kick in
CDKing is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 4:50 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,243
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Isn't it a success when they deliver your baggage on time per the guarantee?
Guess it depends on the person...
beckoa is online now  
Old Jul 11, 09, 7:00 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
If a conveyer breaks and bags have to be off loaded by hand IMO opinion that is in the airlines control since preventive maintenace would prevent it.
Um don't mean butt in...but if a conveyor breaks...that's NOT within the airline's control. Airline's don't own nor maintain airport baggage conveyor systems. That's the airport's job, and the airline's pay a fee to use the systems.

Originally Posted by ANC View Post
What and whose definition of severe weather will be used?
There are also times when say a lightning storm hits an airport, the control tower will order all ground activity to cease. If an airplane parks at the gate and passengers are being offloaded, this could potentially be in the middle of offloading cargo and baggage from an airplane. If an order to stop ground servicing because of safety is given, ground crews have to stop what they are doing. So while you may get off our plane and to baggage claim, your bag may not because ground crews couldn't finish their job in the 25 minute time window.

Those exceptions were put in there for a reason. Not just to make it so "vague" as to make excuses for anytime it takes over 25 minutes.
402Fanatic is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 8:29 pm
  #7  
ANC
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Posts: 6,548
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic View Post
Um don't mean butt in...but if a conveyor breaks...that's NOT within the airline's control. Airline's don't own nor maintain airport baggage conveyor systems. That's the airport's job, and the airline's pay a fee to use the systems.


.
I mean the mobile belts used on the tarmac
ANC is offline  
Old Jul 11, 09, 8:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
I mean the mobile belts used on the tarmac
If a belt loader breaks down they'll find another one. The fine print you were referring to specifically says "Airport Baggage Systems" so I didn't assume you meant belt loaders. If they don't meet the guarantee because of it, then you'll get your $25 or 2500 miles.
402Fanatic is offline  
Old Jul 12, 09, 5:25 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Posts: 22,991
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic View Post
If a belt loader breaks down they'll find another one. The fine print you were referring to specifically says "Airport Baggage Systems" so I didn't assume you meant belt loaders. If they don't meet the guarantee because of it, then you'll get your $25 or 2500 miles.
Where does the airline's responsibility for maintenance end and the airport authority's begin? I seem to recall reading that UA was spending millions on maintenance for the DEN automated baggage system. It would seem, then, that UA would be responsible for the performance of that system, and by extension, airlines are responsible for the systems they use at any given airport. Or was that a unique arrangement?
jackal is offline  
Old Jul 12, 09, 7:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 3,117
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Unless i'm missing something it doesnt say you had to pay a bag fee for the guarantee to kick in
No, you don't have to pay a fee. It applies to MVPGs equally.

I'm hoping never to have to cite the guarantee. I just want my bag quickly.

And so far, so good: my checked BOS-SEA bag on AS 25 was in my hands 17 minutes after the plane rolled up to the jetway yesterday morning. (My bag DCA-SEA, a few days earlier before the guarantee kicked in, was in my hands in 20 minutes.)
Seattlenerd is offline  
Old Jul 12, 09, 9:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Where does the airline's responsibility for maintenance end and the airport authority's begin? I seem to recall reading that UA was spending millions on maintenance for the DEN automated baggage system. It would seem, then, that UA would be responsible for the performance of that system, and by extension, airlines are responsible for the systems they use at any given airport. Or was that a unique arrangement?
It's possible that UA "owns" part of the system. Similar to when an airline pays to have exclusive use of a jetway...the maintenance of it is their responsibility. Most baggage system I know of though are not allowed to be owned by the airline. SEA specifically is one of those places. If a belt shuts down, all hell breaks loose and the Port of Seattle springs into action to fix it because it is their responsibility.

Have you seen the new bag carousel advertisements in SEA that the Port of Seattle is selling ad space for? There has been some controversy because the airlines have little control over what ads go where. And an airline like AS doesn't want an ad on the carousel to give their customers a negative experience, especially if it's for a product they don't want to promote. But they have little choice because even though AS exclusively uses a certain number of carousels, it's still Port property.
402Fanatic is offline  
Old Jul 12, 09, 9:53 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,243
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
No, you don't have to pay a fee. It applies to MVPGs equally.

I'm hoping never to have to cite the guarantee. I just want my bag quickly.

And so far, so good: my checked BOS-SEA bag on AS 25 was in my hands 17 minutes after the plane rolled up to the jetway yesterday morning. (My bag DCA-SEA, a few days earlier before the guarantee kicked in, was in my hands in 20 minutes.)
Glad to hear this!

My most recent experience about a month ago involved waiting for over 45 minutes for my bag in ANC
beckoa is online now  
Old Jul 12, 09, 10:05 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 10,307
Honestly, my thought is that AS (and all airlines) should try to get baggage delivered as quickly as possible. In some ways, it's sad to see that there needs to be a "guarantee". IMHO the "guarantee" is simply a marketing tool. AS is banking on the fact that 99%+ of passengers won't ask for the voucher -- even when bags take longer than 25 minutes.

If there are 10 passengers ahead of you to see the Customer Service Agent, who on earth is going to wait another 30 minutes to see the agent?
formeraa is offline  
Old Jul 13, 09, 12:42 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Honestly, my thought is that AS (and all airlines) should try to get baggage delivered as quickly as possible. In some ways, it's sad to see that there needs to be a "guarantee". IMHO the "guarantee" is simply a marketing tool. AS is banking on the fact that 99%+ of passengers won't ask for the voucher -- even when bags take longer than 25 minutes.

If there are 10 passengers ahead of you to see the Customer Service Agent, who on earth is going to wait another 30 minutes to see the agent?
Of course it's a marketing tool. But is that a bad thing? Now everyone that gets off the plane is checking their watch. And when the majority of people notice that it actually arrives to the carousel really fast, then it starts to shift people's mentality to realizing that even without a 25 min guarantee...AS gets you your bag in under 25 min. It's just to help draw attention to the fact that we deliver bags very quickly.

If we don't then you get something in return. Something is better than nothing right? Considering no other airlines are offering anything.
402Fanatic is offline  
Old Jul 13, 09, 12:53 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,243
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic View Post
Of course it's a marketing tool. But is that a bad thing? Now everyone that gets off the plane is checking their watch. And when the majority of people notice that it actually arrives to the carousel really fast, then it starts to shift people's mentality to realizing that even without a 25 min guarantee...AS gets you your bag in under 25 min. It's just to help draw attention to the fact that we deliver bags very quickly.

If we don't then you get something in return. Something is better than nothing right? Considering no other airlines are offering anything.
Huh... didn't think of it in that way...

Not a bad marketing technique

And when I visit off-stations... let the fun begin! (Note... expect for AS to work well in AS staffed stations )
beckoa is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread