Wiki Posts
Search

Jones soda - Consistently flat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Thumbs down Jones soda - Consistently flat

Just back from my 2nd R/T with Jones Soda; a total of 10 mixed drinks with soda, and every one of them has been completely flat.

I usually drink Bacardi and diet coke or pepsi (I'm not choosy). The first flight, 3 drinks, and nary a bubble to be seen; I thought it might just be a one-off. After the 1st drink of the 2nd flight gave the same results, I tried regular cola; same thing - not a bubble to be seen.

And same again on the 3rd and 4th flights - 10 drinks in all.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing ?

I'd mind the flavor (though in general I find off-brand colas to be disappointing); but what's the point of a "soda" with no bubbles ?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I thought the sugar free cream soda was pretty good actually.

I didn't have any mixed drinks so I cannot opine on them.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:56 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Jones is good. Love the Cream Soda. However I haven't had the fortune to try them in the air yet, they never serve them on any SEA-YVR sectors I do even though I've seen them in the trolley.

They only ever do a limited service on this sector for some reason, juice, water, beer and wine, but no soda?!

I got some trips lined up for PDX and LAS soon, I live in hope!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Just had a couple of Jones Cola's on my way around the system today. I found the regular cola to be less thick than Coke, and to have more of a cinnamon taste....

Anyone else notice this or am I deluded?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:47 am

I've never noticed any of the Jones sodas going 'flat' quickly... the ones I have served have all been good... of course any can of soda open long enough does eventually go flat... we usually serve fast enough out of each can to minimize that.

I myself prefer the Diet cola... has a crisper cleaner taste than diet Coke and no aftertaste...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: AS
I tried the Jones cola, and I felt tbat it was flatter than Coke, but not completely flat. Can't say I like it better than Coke, especially the Mexican made Coke I got from Costco - much nicer finish than eiher Jones cola or HFCS Coke.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I had my first jones cola and rum yesterday and didn't think it was flat by any means. Much preferred taste to coke as well - less of a crappy aftertaste.

I'm a fan now.. next up will try the vodka and cream on friday
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have had Jones diet cola on "terra firma" and not had any issue problem. As I don't believe that sitting in 2A I am getting soda from a can that has been open for more than a couple of minutes, my hypothesis is that there is something about Jones Soda that makes it less able to keep it's fizz at altitude.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by dgwright99
I have had Jones diet cola on "terra firma" and not had any issue problem. As I don't believe that sitting in 2A I am getting soda from a can that has been open for more than a couple of minutes, my hypothesis is that there is something about Jones Soda that makes it less able to keep it's fizz at altitude.
As a physicist I'm going to say that's not a likely scenario as the liquids are of effectively similar properties (if one were comparing rubber cement to cola, then there's an argument on viscosity) and CO2 is CO2 - this is assuming that the initial pressurization in-can is the same - which it should be.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:32 am

Location: San Jose, CA; AA Plat, CO Silver, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Not my experience. I've had the diet cola, diet cream soda, and lemon lime soda on various flights. They all tasted fine to me -- similar carbonation to other diet sodas I drink.

The diet cream soda was delicious. Diet cola OK ... prefer diet pepsi.

-ry
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:29 am

I've been pouring the Jones since we started and have definitely noticed that they lose their carbonation faster than the Coke products. It used to be you could re-use an already open can on the second leg of a flight (in my case this month SEA-PSP-SEA). Now with the Jones the open cans are flat by the time we start our first bevvie cart on the way back to SEA.

If you're ordering a cocktail just ask for a can of mix and that should solve the problem. That way you can also stretch your mini into two drinks...at $5 I think we can afford to give up a can!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
I've been pouring the Jones since we started and have definitely noticed that they lose their carbonation faster than the Coke products.
That would probably defy physics and chemistry - more likely that Jones products aren't as carbonated as Coke products to start.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Not a fan of Jones

Originally Posted by eastwest
Just had a couple of Jones Cola's on my way around the system today. I found the regular cola to be less thick than Coke, and to have more of a cinnamon taste....

Anyone else notice this or am I deluded?
I have to say I'm pretty disapointed with the Jones soda. Both for mixed drinks and straight I've been pretty unimpressed. I was speaking with a QX FA the other day and she gave me taste tests of everything and we were discussing the taste... She said other people haven't been too impressed either.

I think AS must have gotten a killer deal on the Jones products...
Just my .02
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Jones soda is not as highly carbonated as Coke, has more flavor and uses real sugar. I don't think it was ever designed as a mix, but they definitely taste better. I'd follow someone's advice and ask for a new can. I'm rather surprised that you haven't tried them at some point. Perhaps its the real sugar that is throwing you off. After all, Coke were able to cheap out and replace the main ingredient in their drinks without the bat of an eye of the American marketplace.

I tend to get them at Seahawks games. I rather enjoy not being a whore to the major brand and try something new. It does rather suck though when you go to other town's sporting events and you're stuck with crappy beer, crappy food and generic soda. I'll still with fresh cod, garlic fries, a local micro and a diet Jones any day.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Jones soda is not as highly carbonated as Coke, has more flavor and uses real sugar. I don't think it was ever designed as a mix, but they definitely taste better. I'd follow someone's advice and ask for a new can. I'm rather surprised that you haven't tried them at some point. Perhaps its the real sugar that is throwing you off. After all, Coke were able to cheap out and replace the main ingredient in their drinks without the bat of an eye of the American marketplace.

I tend to get them at Seahawks games. I rather enjoy not being a whore to the major brand and try something new. It does rather suck though when you go to other town's sporting events and you're stuck with crappy beer, crappy food and generic soda. I'll still with fresh cod, garlic fries, a local micro and a diet Jones any day.
mmm... garlic fries. I've been to one Mariners game about five years ago, and that was the one thing I remembered. (Other then SEA loosing)...

With the improved partnership with the Mariners, maybe AS can serve garlic fries in F?

Still a week away from trying Jones... but then I'll have 16 or so segments to try it on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.