Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PI article on Virgin-Alaska competition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
Those nonstops are Alaska's golden ticket. I wouldn't want to connect either. It's just my gut, but I don't think this VX experiment is going to work out too well. It smacks of National Airlines.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I might give VX a try this year, but I'm rather loathe to connect in SFO/LAX (which is why I no longer fly UA) so I'll likely stay with AS once again.
So, does the JetBlue service for SEA-SAN look like something you might try as well?

I know for SEA-LGB (an airport I fly into reasonably often), I'll sure be doing pricechecks for Alaska and JetBlue...

Those nonstops are Alaska's golden ticket. I wouldn't want to connect either. It's just my gut, but I don't think this VX experiment is going to work out too well. It smacks of National Airlines.
I would doubt that VX (or B6, for that matter) is planning on strictly hub-spoke longterm. The interesting question is going to be how much they can expand operations in Seattle.

I would argue that Alaska's golden ticket, actually, is Alaska. Places like JNU with high operating costs are probably ones that a startup airline isn't going to be interested in.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, does the JetBlue service for SEA-SAN look like something you might try as well?
Unlikely, since I prefer to fly First Class. However, I hear B6 will be adding an "Economy Plus" section with some 38" of pitch (but 3+3 seating) for a small surcharge, so depending on what a fully-flexible B6 ticket costs vs. AS, I might give it a try.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, flew LAS-SFO-SEA on VX coach today. Comments...

- The seats do seem more comfortable than AS coach, with more room.
- Mood lighting was OK.
- Red, the IFE system, is still in beta. Email and IM don't work yet; neither does the inflight magazine. The games are fun to play, though. It's definitely a step up from a Digiplayer (and you can't get one on a West Cost flight).
- The $9 turkey bacon wrap was OK, but... I'd have rather had the $5 Snack Pack.
- The crowd seemed to be fairly young flying both flights.
- Service was fine- not obtrusive. Crews have a lot of young guys.
- The video for flight safety was a bit kitschy (animated).

I think AS does have a fair amount to worry about if VX stays price-competitive with them. I'll also be flying a Sunday LAX-SEA flight with them in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 31, 2008 at 12:44 am
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:32 am

OK, flew LAS-SFO-SEA on VX coach today. Comments...

- The seats do seem more comfortable than AS coach.
- Mood lighting was OK.
- Red, the IFE system, is still in beta. Email and IM don't work yet; neither does the inflight magazine. The games are fun to play, though. It's definitely a step up from a Digiplayer (and you can't get one on a West Cost flight).
- The $9 turkey bacon wrap was OK, but... I'd have rather had the $5 Snack Pack.
- The crowd seemed to be fairly young flying both flights.
- Service was fine- not obstrusive.
- The video for flight safety was a bit kitschy (animated).

I think AS does have a fair amount to worry about if VX stays price-competitive with them. I'll also be flying a Sunday LAX-SEA flight with them in a couple of weeks.

Were we on the same flight? (8pm-10:15pm)? Just wondering. I wasn't expecting SEA to be so backed up tonight. It was one delay vector after another.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Red, the IFE system, is still in beta. Email and IM don't work yet; neither does the inflight magazine. The games are fun to play, though. It's definitely a step up from a Digiplayer (and you can't get one on a West Cost flight).
Are the games networked across the plane? My favorite thing about DL's AVOD/IFE system was playing the trivia game. (Congratulations, seat 25D wins!)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
All I'll note is that I've been flying AS F every year SEA-SAN for close to two decades during the summer for the San Diego Comic Con and I'm paying about the same price now that I did 20 years ago, while the cost of every single thing related to getting me between SEA and SAN and back to SEA has risen in price during that time.

If AS isn't charging me more, then they have had to reduce the costs of flying me...

I might give VX a try this year, but I'm rather loathe to connect in SFO/LAX (which is why I no longer fly UA) so I'll likely stay with AS once again.
I fly SEA-SAN route at least once a month (including comic con...see you there ) and I was also thinking of giving VX a try, but without that non-stop I don't know. If VX had a non-stop to SAN I would go for it.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Are the games networked across the plane? My favorite thing about DL's AVOD/IFE system was playing the trivia game. (Congratulations, seat 25D wins!)
Some of them are indeed networked. However, a big minus on VX is a lack of a trivia game. I got to meet the VP of inflight entertainment 2 weeks ago, and they should have it soon.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
Were we on the same flight? (8pm-10:15pm)? Just wondering. I wasn't expecting SEA to be so backed up tonight. It was one delay vector after another.
Nope: I was on VX 738, arriving at 4:30...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, doing some pricing.

First class on VX, one-way, on their LAX-SEA flights: $199

Value fares on AS (that would allow me the instant upgrade to FC, but I wouldn't get the full bonus): $234

Full FC fare: $358

Um... they putting massage chairs on AS planes? Didn't think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.