Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium

Had to choose my meals tonight for an AA operated segment credited back to my AS MP...

POLENTA IS BACK BABY!

Also, why is Pulled Chicken with Polenta and Kale a breakfast option? The mind boggles.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS is obviously responding to PDXPremier's repeated feedback that meals are an important part of the flying experience and is doing their upmost to live up to those expectations.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

Had to choose my meals tonight for an AA operated segment credited back to my AS MP...

POLENTA IS BACK BABY!

Also, why is Pulled Chicken with Polenta and Kale a breakfast option? The mind boggles.
Not too different from a congee with various protein and veg savo(u)ríes.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full Pee Dee Bee options on DL ekspress ex/SFO. AS Can You Hear Me? (Well, I suppose not "full" because there isn't any 🍋 nor lime, not even in packet form).
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Full Pee Dee Bee options on DL ekspress ex/SFO. AS Can You Hear Me? (Well, I suppose not "full" because there isn't any 🍋 nor lime, not even in packet form).
Same on UA express ex/SFO (OO), but with the lime packet. It was a true surprise and delight! AS is not listening to either of us, by the way.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Same on UA express ex/SFO (OO), but with the lime packet. It was a true surprise and delight! AS is not listening to either of us, by the way.
On the other hand, inflight consisted of one pass through of a snack basket (and frequent check-ups for beverages). AS wins in that department.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
On the other hand, inflight consisted of one pass through of a snack basket (and frequent check-ups for beverages). AS wins in that department.
Given the minimalistic inflight service these days it's the least they can do not that anyone flys AS for it's gastronomical experience. Ah for the old days of Oriental Chicken Salad !! I know that was a very long time old!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Given the minimalistic inflight service these days it's the least they can do not that anyone flys AS for it's gastronomical experience. Ah for the old days of Oriental Chicken Salad !! I know that was a very long time old!
My flying has mostly returned to prepandemic levels on AS, while their meals and drink service is way below where it used to be. I have noticed that the attitude of the FA's makes a big difference in the experience. Most of them offer the minimum required to get the job done with no enthusiasm and little interaction with the Pax. A few stilll take a few seconds to chat and acknowledge that AS is having issues on the catering front, especially in Y. When they take that time to engage with me, I find the flight much more enjoyable. When they don't, which is most of the time, AS becomes just another MEH airline.

The recent preorder meltdown made it really easy to seperate those who cared from those just going through the motions.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
My flying has mostly returned to prepandemic levels on AS, while their meals and drink service is way below where it used to be. I have noticed that the attitude of the FA's makes a big difference in the experience. Most of them offer the minimum required to get the job done with no enthusiasm and little interaction with the Pax. A few stilll take a few seconds to chat and acknowledge that AS is having issues on the catering front, especially in Y. When they take that time to engage with me, I find the flight much more enjoyable. When they don't, which is most of the time, AS becomes just another MEH airline.

The recent preorder meltdown made it really easy to seperate those who cared from those just going through the motions.
Bon W very true pre Covid and post Covid with that in mind the "honeymoon" is over and the airlines need to step up and get back to business. Stop the whining and do what you're highly paid to do ,in the case of AS I am not so sure of "Ben's " ability to run AS. I have posted before some of which comes from being in a business / social setting with the entire management team. In the 30 years of flying AS as my main squeeze never once did I come away wondering "what was that" all about. In the past we enjoyed strong leadership today my gut tells me As may not be around in it's current form too long.

Just my opinion
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For anyone complaining about AS füd service in the 120 to 150 minute block time, you will see below the gor-may experience I recently had in the WS premium cabin. I was glad to have the nonstop in a comfy seat, but it was a meal perhaps only Karen Carpenter would love.

Shocker was that there were two choices each of white and red wines. And the FA was very nice.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:59 pm

I don't that would have filled her up! So food for purchase ? I have two long hauls coming up in a couple of weeks should I bring MRE's onboard ?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
This doesn't belong in the AS schedule change thread or any AA-related thread, but sharing just because it cracks me up.

I have a SEA/GRR itinerary later this year, booked through AS, that's had its second change so far that requires me to phone in. I couldn't accept changes in the app or online.

The first change: The flight numbers on my ORD>GRR flight changed. Same everything except the flight number. That's it. Had to wait ~1.5 hours for a callback from AS to say that I accepted a different flight number.

The change from last night: The return GRR>ORD flight changed departure times by one minute. That's it. It takes off one minute later. So I had to call in to accept the change.

Anyone experienced anything similar?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane
This doesn't belong in the AS schedule change thread or any AA-related thread, but sharing just because it cracks me up.

I have a SEA/GRR itinerary later this year, booked through AS, that's had its second change so far that requires me to phone in. I couldn't accept changes in the app or online.

The first change: The flight numbers on my ORD>GRR flight changed. Same everything except the flight number. That's it. Had to wait ~1.5 hours for a callback from AS to say that I accepted a different flight number.

The change from last night: The return GRR>ORD flight changed departure times by one minute. That's it. It takes off one minute later. So I had to call in to accept the change.

This happens way too often. I am sure it is costing AS a lot of money and wasted time handling these things.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
This happens way too often. I am sure it is costing AS a lot of money and wasted time handling these things.
There seems to be many things AS is wasting time and money on these days.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ford Fairlane

We all probably have - but note that in most of these cases, the matter self-resolves after a few days. I don't bother calling for something months out when I've been able to ascertain what AS has likely done with me. At least with the partner award changes, when AS inhibits their viewing, the partner websites will show us the current itinerary (and even the changes to any AS segments). AS simply (or maybe not so simply for AS) needs to let us see the WK/TK segments until they go back into HK status. Now, only a reservation that is 100% HK status can we view online. A little bird once told me (probably when I saw it on another airline's website) that I could view original and changed itineraries and accept them should I choose. So, the functionality is there. I tried to ask Jenn why AS can't have said functionality, but then I learned that Jenn had died some time ago. I heard she died trying to use a GGU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.