Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I have seen 30 on upgrade list one time walking by a UA flight out of SFO, THAT'S crazy !! So let me ask this fast forward to 1/1/22 what do you think the landscape will look like on standby list ? Will travel especially business return soon enough as well as what percentage returns ? I think that it will take 2 years for a workable effective vaccine to get into the wild and show results. Now there are studies showing that the immune system depletes its ability to fend off the virus after a certain period of time, ( The study came out of England ) Personally I think business travel will be off by at least 50% for the next few years never to return to the levels pre covid at least in our life time. Tech is working hard to make sure we work remote more and more. Disclaimer I am an old fashion hop on a plane to see a client, averaging 100/130K annually biz. You tell me.
Bit delayed, and a bit of an unusual circumstance for the flight, but Delta is damn top heavy. Diamond Medallion is quite a bit of work to otherwise achieve organically. DFW-ATL I ended up at I believe 8th after everyone cleared. ATL-LAX I ended up 16th out of a list of 50. Thats Delta. I figure they will do nothing but get worse as travel recovers. They are much better at dynamic pricing and monetizing FC. Looking at AS, I'm expecting more 75ks in 2021 due to rollover as well as those who earned it this year or folks chasing it. But...if you aren't natively a FF, you really aren't that much competition as you just don't fly that often, so I'm not overly worried about upgrade lists in 2021. Those of us that packed a lot of flying into Q1 2020, definitely have a leg up starting 2021. As someone in IT, I've seen the seismic shift towards web communications and meetings. It's been simmering under the surface for a while, and the C-Suites/Sales have managed to forestall it for a long time, but COVID forced the hand. Businesses are continuing to function under this model, and it's going to cause far more questions of...why are we flying someone all over to meet in person, plus costs, when they can just meet over Zoom. This won't obviously be all meetings as the world returns to normal, but I think the concept of Business flying, combined with the Green movement is going to make a rather large dent in un-necessary business flying. It's a seismic shift. Looking forward to Airlines, I think it's going to force changes to their FF programs, and I do see the upper echelons dropping in size. This may change in a few years, but I definitely think we will see smaller lists in 2022. That answer your question?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by jrl767
note the pillows in the overhead “storage area” (maybe 4-5” clearance to the ceiling from the shelf attached to the sidewall) ... the space was barely big enough to accommodate the briefcase that was the traveling businessman’s standard accessory
They were called hat racks, I believe. Not overhead storage!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:37 pm

So I'm sitting in 1AC on an AS739.

Two peeves:

There is an overhead bin above my seat which is labeled "This Stowage Bin Reserved for Bulkhead Row Passengers Only". It is closed when I enter the aircraft. I settle into my row, open the bin, and it is filled with the FA's bag. (This is on the 1AC side, not the 1DF side which is blocked for FAs.) I don't want to be a jerk so I don't say anything, but can't the FAs find another place for their bags than the 1AC bin?

After the doors close - and we sit for a while, and during the taxi - one FA sits in 1D and talks loudly with the FA in the jump seat - this is for about 20 minutes. I neither want to hear them talk nor do I want the extra Covid exposure from loud talking.

Is there any effective way to let the FAs know that this kind of thing impacts customers and they should be more considerate. Just now the FA with her large bag puts it back over my seat (she removed it partway through the flight.)
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl

Two peeves:

There is an overhead bin above my seat which is labeled "This Stowage Bin Reserved for Bulkhead Row Passengers Only". It is closed when I enter the aircraft. I settle into my row, open the bin, and it is filled with the FA's bag. (This is on the 1AC side, not the 1DF side which is blocked for FAs.) I don't want to be a jerk so I don't say anything, but can't the FAs find another place for their bags than the 1AC bin?

After the doors close - and we sit for a while, and during the taxi - one FA sits in 1D and talks loudly with the FA in the jump seat - this is for about 20 minutes. I neither want to hear them talk nor do I want the extra Covid exposure from loud talking.

Is there any effective way to let the FAs know that this kind of thing impacts customers and they should be more considerate. Just now the FA with her large bag puts it back over my seat (she removed it partway through the flight.)
For what it is worth, during the loud conversation I learn that the FA sitting in 1D is working the D position and is SEA-based, and everyone else is SFO-based. The FA with her bag above my seat is one of the SFO-based ones. Does that make them ex-VX?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For what it is worth, during the loud conversation I learn that the FA sitting in 1D is working the D position and is SEA-based, and everyone else is SFO-based. The FA with her bag above my seat is one of the SFO-based ones. Does that make them ex-VX?
Since this is the Bored Room, and nothing is really off topic, is that pronounced "Eks Veks?"
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
maybe, but seems like he's still vexed
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

Two peeves:

The FA's know &^&*^% well what they're doing by putting their bags in the overhead in FC more in particular bulkhead seats. If I find myself in those seats with the overhead full of FA bags I politely ask if they can remove so I can use the space set aside for bulkhead seating. Look They get paid to work and I get paid to fly on business and I pay generally full fare FC so ask me if I car if I inconvenience one of them
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
The FA's know &^&*^% well what they're doing by putting their bags in the overhead in FC more in particular bulkhead seats. If I find myself in those seats with the overhead full of FA bags I politely ask if they can remove so I can use the space set aside for bulkhead seating. Look They get paid to work and I get paid to fly on business and I pay generally full fare FC so ask me if I car if I inconvenience one of them
Does that getting you surly treatment? Doesn't seem like a friendly way to start the flight. Of course this FA seemed to have a bit of an attitude and do the minimum required.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

Does that getting you surly treatment? Doesn't seem like a friendly way to start the flight. Of course this FA seemed to have a bit of an attitude and do the minimum required.
Sorry its not "surly" at all I paid for that seat and given the location there is a reason why there is a sign above regarding those particular bins, period. The FA's board before anyone else does and one reason is to get themselves settled in, check the cabins for anything that would hinder a safe flight then go to work. Does not matter whether its first or main cabin as I believe the bulkhead seats in main has the same signs. I respect FA's immensely however I also I ask for the same in return in this particular case leaving that bin open for customers, thats all not much to ask. Not sure why you have such an issue with this
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
A la Crashe

This popped up in YouTube for me

Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

https://youtu.be/4RyEdC0lNnw
Nice so much for that drivers training cert
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rustykettel

https://youtu.be/4RyEdC0lNnw
I was once on a plane when something similar happened. A shiny new (at the time) 739, you know, with the mid-cabin lav, first time on one of them, waiting to taxi, when a CO baggage cart driver lost control and next thing you know, after a "..." just happened plane shake, we had a lovely little hole in the fuselage.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:57 am

I have a flight coming up on Friday. The seat map shows every F seat unoccupied and for sale (except 1DF blocked for FA use). Why are no upgrades being processed?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My upgrades have been clearing at the 21-24 hour range since August. I'd expect you're looking at the same upgrade window.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have a flight coming up on Friday. The seat map shows every F seat unoccupied and for sale (except 1DF blocked for FA use). Why are no upgrades being processed?
As a 75k I typically have not been upgraded until 23-22 hours before the flight. Typically, I check in very close to the 24hr mark (I get the notice on my phone and check in). Typically, once I do I am # 1 or 2 on the UG list, and then in 1-2 hrs later I see that I have no seat, so I know I was upgraded and I select the seat I prefer in FC. A while later I get the email that I have been upgraded. I have heard that Golds get upgraded at about 1 hr prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.