Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Heard FAI was due to get a hard frost this weekend
Word was it was supposed to be a "hard frost" everywhere north of the range. Here in Denali it never got below about 40 last night, warming up nicely this morning. No evidence of frost here...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ctporter
Looking forward to a trip to ANC starting Sat for an electrical conference. This time we are staying at the Captain Cook. Should be fun
The Hotel Captain Cook is very nice - by Alaska standards. Be sure to bring a jacket for the cool nights we're beginning to have here in ANC.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Drop me a PM if you're coming up in the next month and want some company
Will do! Stay warm up there - I hear the Park is gorgeous right now.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Looking forward to a trip to ANC starting Sat for an electrical conference. This time we are staying at the Captain Cook. Should be fun
The Hotel Captain Cook is very nice - by Alaska standards. Be sure to bring a jacket for the cool nights we're beginning to have here in ANC.
We used to have some nice MVPG breakfasts there.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Word was it was supposed to be a "hard frost" everywhere north of the range. Here in Denali it never got below about 40 last night, warming up nicely this morning. No evidence of frost here...
Well word is there was a quake up north tonight
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Best gate for karaoke?

Sitting at the (one and only) AS gate at EWR, waiting to board, and the gate agent is making announcements...using a wireless handheld microphone!

I don't think I've seen that before, but every time she makes an announcement, I expect her to dedicate the next song to that special someone and begin a riff of Sinatra or something!

If things get dire and the flight is delayed, I nominate EWR gate 30 as the best for spontaneous karaoke to break out. FYI...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)
We used to have some nice MVPG breakfasts there.
Stayed at several other places up there before, it will be nice to stay at this one, looking forward to it
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Stayed at several other places up there before, it will be nice to stay at this one, looking forward to it
Since you've had experiences with our hotels, then you are unlikely to be disappointed. The Cook is the finest property in the state, IMO. A few years aso I coordinated several large events there - great catering staff and venues.

My earlier comment was (erroneously) based on the assumption that you haven't been here before. You have my apology.

Years ago I owned a boutique travel agency catering to high-end clients. Some of them would arrive in Alaska and then kvetch about how the hotels here were "dumps" and not as nice as the Four Seasons or Ritz ... totally missing the fact that they had come here to visit one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Since you've had experiences with our hotels, then you are unlikely to be disappointed. The Cook is the finest property in the state, IMO. A few years aso I coordinated several large events there - great catering staff and venues.

My earlier comment was (erroneously) based on the assumption that you haven't been here before. You have my apology.

Years ago I owned a boutique travel agency catering to high-end clients. Some of them would arrive in Alaska and then kvetch about how the hotels here were "dumps" and not as nice as the Four Seasons or Ritz ... totally missing the fact that they had come here to visit one of the most beautiful places in the world.
No need for an apology! Anytime someone takes the time to offer up a tip or advice is a good thing. Thanks! I hear you on how some expectations are just not realistic. I had a job in Valdez a few years ago, stayed at the Best Western and overheard a fellow guest complaining about the place. Sheesh, it was VERY clean (immaculate) the staff was super nice, I loved the Pandora station they had going in the bar, and they had decent food. Sure it was older, not decorated in the modern manner but I've been in some allegedly more upscale hotels that were not as clean and nice. I'll be bringing sweaters because the conference rooms are always COLD! I'm debating bringing a jacket for walking around town in the evening.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:55 pm

Safe bet for the evenings as it has been getting a bit chilly...mostly after sundown.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The Fairbanks North Star Borough - already home to 14 Thai restaurants - will soon be adding yet another. Don't know if the Alaska State Fair has any Thai food booths, but Fairbanks has definitely become THE place to enjoy quality Thai food north of the 49th parallel.

You can read more about it HERE.
I stopped here--twice:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tok-thai-food-glennallen

IMNSHO, it gives anything in Fairbanks a run for their money.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I haven't been in Glenallen since the 80s! Do they deliver?!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Maybe to Gulkana.

Clearly you and I need to do an Alcan road trip! FlyerTalk Alaska Do 2018: Yukon Edition, anyone?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Maybe to Gulkana.

Clearly you and I need to do an Alcan road trip! FlyerTalk Alaska Do 2018: Yukon Edition, anyone?
If it involves Canada...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
Maybe to Gulkana.

That is a possibility since I will be retired by then.

If it involves Canada...
Who among us has a problem getting into Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.