Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not able to use miles to upgrade to 1st class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

For the last few years, I've used my miles to upgrade from coach to 1st class. It takes 10,000 miles for each upgrade, and this worked great for me since I'd rather fly in 1st class than get a free ticket with my miles.

On one of my flights last year, I called to upgrade using miles and I was told that I couldn't do so since my ticket was a "value fare". I was also told that the old policy was changed because MVP-Gold members were complaining that they were not getting their free, complimentary upgrades because people like me were using their miles for upgrade.

This is really upsetting to me, since I never fly enough to become MVP-Gold. Additionally, I don't have any control over what fare ticket is purchase for me since it's all done through my company's travel agent. Sure, I can be placed on a waiting list for 1st class (along with the MVP-Gold members), but that just doesn't seem fair to me.

I hope they change this policy soon, as I'll have to look at the other airline programs to find something that better suits my needs.

ppcinfo
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I think this has been the policy for a year now... I'm sure someone wanting to procrastinate more than I do will dredge up the multiple threads covering it soon...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
From AS Website:

Mileage Plan Redemptive Upgrades

* Requires 15,000 mile redemption for one-way travel within North America and Hawaii
* Redeemed by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522)

Mileage Upgrades are booked in "U" Class and can be used in conjunction with Value or Full Flex fare categories only.

Mileage Upgrades exclude free, tax/PFC only, award travel, industry, promotional discount or two-for-one fares. Mileage Upgrades can be used in conjunction with Money & Miles (AS50) Award Tickets. U Class may not be available on all flights. Value and Full flex fare categories are booked in Y, S, B, M, or H classes of service.
Sorry to say ppcinfo but not only are the fares restricted on what is UG'able, they changed the number of miles required from 10K to 15K one way... This was first announced at the start of Summer 07 (I think) and was invoked on all reservations August 1, and on... (approx)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
FYI, they can blame the golds, but they took away a lot of our upgrades as well. Simple fact is they're getting better at yield mgmt and selling seats.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
You can thank credit card miles, hotel miles, car miles...

I think the proper reason why it is hard to use miles to upgrade now is due to all the miles that can be earned out there. With it seems like all carriers offering credit cards earning miles, the value of miles has gone down over the years. It is not impossible to upgrade based on miles but I think the easier and better use of the miles would be for free flights. If you would like more information about mileage programs for all carriers, www.smartertravel.com has some pretty good articles about frequent flyer programs. BTW, they gave high marks to Alaska's Mileage Plan mostly due to the large number of partner airlines.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I know it's hard when privileges are taken away from travelers. I was so use to using my miles to upgrade, when they disallowed it that really upset me. As I stated, I don't plan to use my miles for free tickets, so I'm not sure how useful they are to me now.

There's not much I can do since my company requires tickets purchased 2 weeks in advanced (so I would no doubt always get the value fare). I also don't travel enough to get Gold status, so I'm screwed there.

I suppose I will still continue to fly AS since I can use my lowly elite status to get through the checkpoints quicker in Seattle and Portland. If something better comes up, I'll probably switch.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ppcinfo
Thanks for your responses. I know it's hard when privileges are taken away from travelers. I was so use to using my miles to upgrade, when they disallowed it that really upset me. As I stated, I don't plan to use my miles for free tickets, so I'm not sure how useful they are to me now.

There's not much I can do since my company requires tickets purchased 2 weeks in advanced (so I would no doubt always get the value fare). I also don't travel enough to get Gold status, so I'm screwed there.

I suppose I will still continue to fly AS since I can use my lowly elite status to get through the checkpoints quicker in Seattle and Portland. If something better comes up, I'll probably switch.
I am slightly confused on exactly what you were saying, but if you get "value fare" tickets, those are eligible for upgrading (pending U Class Avail.) even if 15K a pop one way...

Here is a helpful chart to check with...

And good luck!

One other thing is depending on how close you get to Gold, you can always go on a few "mileage run" trips to finish off the year at 40/50K... Thats what some of us end up doing to get there, (or even MVP)
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I am slightly confused on exactly what you were saying, but if you get "value fare" tickets, those are eligible for upgrading (pending U Class Avail.) even if 15K a pop one way...

Here is a helpful chart to check with...

And good luck!

One other thing is depending on how close you get to Gold, you can always go on a few "mileage run" trips to finish off the year at 40/50K... Thats what some of us end up doing to get there, (or even MVP)
I was told by AS that my value fare ticket is not upgradable to 1st class using miles. I would gladly use 15k in miles to upgrade to 1st class, but they won't let me. This is the 2nd time I've been told this, so it seems they are making it harder to upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This also (possibly) was done in anticipation of Hawaii service - you can upgrade from the east coast to Hawaii for the same 15K miles as from SEA to GEG. But seeing as how an upgraded trip with a higher fare minimum costs 30K and a free trip in F is 40K (within the US and Canada except Hawaii), I can't see blowing 30K plus cash for an F seat.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This also (possibly) was done in anticipation of Hawaii service - you can upgrade from the east coast to Hawaii for the same 15K miles as from SEA to GEG. But seeing as how an upgraded trip with a higher fare minimum costs 30K and a free trip in F is 40K (within the US and Canada except Hawaii), I can't see blowing 30K plus cash for an F seat.
Unless you really need the miles to maintain status for next year!

Wanted to add: I woudn't personally do this either, but would use an UG cert if avail. I am in the point where I can't burn any miles, since I fly just enough to make status. Besides I'm addicted to UG's... AS has me in a 'sweet spot'!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Unless you really need the miles to maintain status for next year!

Wanted to add: I woudn't personally do this either, but would use an UG cert if avail. I am in the point where I can't burn any miles, since I fly just enough to make status. Besides I'm addicted to UG's... AS has me in a 'sweet spot'!

I'm in the same position. I don't want to burn my miles when I am trying to maintain elite status. Unfortunately, the large number of unused miles affects the liability on Alaska's balance sheet which I'm sure they would love to reduce. I think if you could earn status while reducing your miles (and Alaska's liability), then it would be a win-win situation. I know there is the mileage/dollar fares that you can book that supposedly earn EQM's but I haven't tried it yet and it always seems to cost a lot more miles than what it's worth if you booked using all miles.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My thoughts exactly. I don't remember if we discussed and/or decided if F saver awards came out of U inventory or something else, but if it is, then if it's available for upgrade at 30,000 miles plus a boat load of cash, it's available for purchase for free for just 10,000 more. I could maybe see spending the miles for the upgrade if the upgrades came out of F because U upgrades weren't available, but still...

But I'm with beckoa...I fly just enough to earn my status (even though it's just lowly MVP status), so taking mileage trips would harm me in the long run. (Besides, I find my return-on-"investment" a lot better using them for $27,000 BA F tickets instead of $400 AS domestic Y tickets...)
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
My thoughts exactly. I don't remember if we discussed and/or decided if F saver awards came out of U inventory or something else, but if it is, then if it's available for upgrade at 30,000 miles plus a boat load of cash, it's available for purchase for free for just 10,000 more. I could maybe see spending the miles for the upgrade if the upgrades came out of F because U upgrades weren't available, but still...

But I'm with beckoa...I fly just enough to earn my status (even though it's just lowly MVP status), so taking mileage trips would harm me in the long run. (Besides, I find my return-on-"investment" a lot better using them for $27,000 BA F tickets instead of $400 AS domestic Y tickets...)
Just wondering where you're flying for $400 these days from ANC... since one can't even get to SEA for that much =)

I think the A class does come out of U, but sometimes there are more U avail then A... I've not seen it the other way that I recall... I am banking my miles for a F getaway too... just need some time and a place...
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:51 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
not sure where the 10,000 came from. As far as I know and others have posted its 15k. To me its not worth blowing 15k miles on an F upgrade put if you are one of those people who have 100k plus miles it might not matter that much and to each his/her own preference
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:54 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Just wondering where you're flying for $400 these days from ANC... since one can't even get to SEA for that much =)

I think the A class does come out of U, but sometimes there are more U avail then A... I've not seen it the other way that I recall... I am banking my miles for a F getaway too... just need some time and a place...
Continental had a sale going this week for $198 ANC-SEA but it was only for within a 2 or 3 day time frame. ANC-FAI RT is $230 advance $367 last minute I aint even sure you can go to Kodiak or Bethel and back for $400 anymore though. Which brings to my mind I dont understand and never have why last minute purchases cost double or more!! Its normally the frequent fliers that have to plan last minute trips so they basically are porking their MVP/MVPG fliers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.