Wiki Posts
Search

Buy AS MVPG status for $545?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Buy AS MVPG status for $545?

I saw on ebay where you can buy MVP Gold status for $545. How does this work?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:22 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
If anyone wants to see it, the eBay auction is http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bbehk.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:08 pm

Very interesting, and not a bad price if one travels coach often on flights that have F availability. Seems almost like a scam of some sort.

Kurt
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I would sure like to get Missy's input on this one.

Selling status, just doesn't seen likely unless it is an inside job. Alaska should seriously be looking into this one.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hmmm:

- Five separate MVP Gold status "upgrades" available for immediate purchase;

- You are buying the seller's "travel advice" and the MVPG status is "complimentary;"

- 216 feedback scores, but only 18 in the last twelve months, and very similar language in much of the feedback (the last, from what I've seen on eBay, may not be unusual);

- Some of the recent feedback specifically refers to a number of sales of Continental Airlines OnePass GOLD status upgrades, Alaska Airlines MVP Gold Status elite upgrades, Delta Airlines Gold Medallian Elite Status upgrade, Northwest Airlines WorldPerks GOLD Elite Status upgrades, and JetBlue Airways Round-Trip travel voucher, all within the last 90 days.

- Prices on the recent Continental status upgrades seem similar to the Alaska status upgrades, based on the purchase prices listed in the Feedback section.

- Instead of an eBay item picture, there's an image of a travel business ad for "The Early Air Way" with a toll-free number and URL. The site's About Us indicates it is owned "Mr. Alex Mark Early. Alex Early is a student at New York University (NYU) studying Tourism Business." It also promotes inexpensive upgrades.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Feb 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm Reason: added Early Air Way detail
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
my bet is it's a travel agent (or former one with connections)

top notch (read pricey) travel agents who've been around have connections with all the airline reps...they get some freebie's every year to do instant status bumps for their special (read highest paying) customers...it's mutually beneficial, the travel agent looks like a super star to the customers, and the airline rep expects more bookings in return ("when you've got a choice on routing, pick me")

my friend years ago booked a pricey trip for 4 thru a Travel agent, and as a "Thank you" got insta-status on BA (even though only one of his legs was on BA)

i can't imagine it's an AS employee...they wouldn't be that dumb....
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jddssc121
my bet is it's a travel agent (or former one with connections)

top notch (read pricey) travel agents who've been around have connections with all the airline reps...they get some freebie's every year to do instant status bumps for their special (read highest paying) customers...it's mutually beneficial, the travel agent looks like a super star to the customers, and the airline rep expects more bookings in return ("when you've got a choice on routing, pick me")

my friend years ago booked a pricey trip for 4 thru a Travel agent, and as a "Thank you" got insta-status on BA (even though only one of his legs was on BA)

i can't imagine it's an AS employee...they wouldn't be that dumb....
I think my edit of a last bullet point to my post crossed with your post -- but it seems the seller may be www.theearlyairway.com, which appears to be someone who is, if not a travel agent, some kind of travel broker/assistant. And a student.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Previous discussion of this character here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546282

If I had to guess he's fake documents for the winning bidder and submit a status match request. He doesn't have bona fide AS MVP Gold status to hand out. Pretty sure of that.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by gleff
Previous discussion of this character here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546282

If I had to guess he's fake documents for the winning bidder and submit a status match request. He doesn't have bona fide AS MVP Gold status to hand out. Pretty sure of that.
It seems he's upgraded his own operation since those posts (the last was April '06). Can't find his Facebook page anymore, either. But he hasn't been shut down since then, though there was a long period in '07 when there doesn't seem to have been much eBay activity.

Seems like someone who is enamoured of the airline industry (and may someday have a career in it) and is making money at the shadowy fringes, selling stuff in such a way that there's no way to verify where he gets it, how he does it, or if it'll be honored.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I think it's interesting that the Elite year for AS is January 1 - December 31. Everyone's MVP or MVP Gold status expires December 31 except that the MVP Gold status he's offering expires February 28. There's certainly something fishy about this!

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Feb 3, 2008 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I think it's interesting that the Elite year for AS is January 1 - December 31. Everyone's MVP or MVP Gold status expires December 31 except that the MVP Gold status he's offering expires February 28. There's certainly something fishy about this!
Indeed, me thinks he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:09 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Punki
I would sure like to get Missy's input on this one.

Selling status, just doesn't seen likely unless it is an inside job. Alaska should seriously be looking into this one.
They are
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Heh, just read the other thread gleff linked to, but I'll post here to avoid bumping that one.

I did a quick search for him to see if he's turned up any more in the last year. This from his LinkedIn profile:
Formerly, The Early Air Way specialized in upgrading passengers from coach to first-class on commercial airline flights for a simple fee of $75 -- this service was wildly successful until we lost out airline partnerships due to high volume.
Heh heh heh...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by gleff
If I had to guess he's fake documents for the winning bidder and submit a status match request.
This seems like the most likely answer to me. The lack of AA in Seattlenerd's list supports that, though UA's absence points the other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.