Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning miles on Lan Chile

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Earning miles on Lan Chile

Can anyone clarify what LAN flights earn miles? I am looking at flights from SEA to EZE and there are several options via LIM and SCL on combinations of LA and LP and some of these are coded on each other so it gets to be very confusing. I called the MP desk and they said it all depends upon the flight number-- something that makes me a bit nervous and is not stated on the web site.
Anyone who can shed more light on this would be appreciated.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You are supposed to only earn miles on LA flights. I've heard through the rumor mill that some LP flights have been known to receive credit. However, given the sheer # of miles you could lose, it isn't worth the risk on a long segment. The 4 digit LP flight#s are usually LA flights. To get to EZE you will have to fly through SCL to guarantee LA flights.

This has been a bone of contention for me for some time and each year at the MVPG luncheon, I bring it up. The website and the partner brochure don't make anything clear. There is nothing marketed as Lan Chile anymore. 3 of the 4 carriers use the same aircraft (Lan Argentina is not permitted to). All the planes simply say "Lan." If you book from the Lan website, there is almost no differentiation and you can't exclude certain Lan carriers from the searches.

To/From SCL from LAX, you are fine on 600 through 603. To/from LIM, you are fine on 600 and 601.

The SCL connection is an easy one, and makes for a nice quick hop after a long uninterrupted flight from LAX (if you are on the nonstop 602/603 days).
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
To/From SCL from LAX, you are fine on 600 through 603. To/from LIM, you are fine on 600 and 601.

The SCL connection is an easy one, and makes for a nice quick hop after a long uninterrupted flight from LAX (if you are on the nonstop 602/603 days).
As usual, Eastbay1K is right.

I had the same concern as Tango has when I booked my family's Argentine winter holiday last year. To make sure I bought Lan Chile revenue flights that earned AS miles, I first called-up the AS partner desk and booked my family's award seats. I was credited the miles I expected; and all was well.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
From the website:

Earn Miles On:
LAN Chile operated flights.

Mileage Earned:
500 miles, or actual flight miles, whichever is greater
50% bonus for purchased First Class

MVP or MVP Gold qualifying flight miles: Yes

Problem - there is nothing called Lan Chile anymore.

See Partner Guide Page 4 for LAN
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...Guide_2007.pdf

Problem - this is wrong, wrong, wrong. We know it is wrong because the MP is still telling us only certain #s count - while the partner guide (inconsistent with the website, which is misleading because there is no Lan Chile) makes one reasonably think that the entire LAN group of airlines are full participants.

Why can't they fix this? The "easy" fix is to have all as full partners (they don't see why not, as they say at the luncheons). However, the other fix is to have accurate information. I have been round and round with them on this issue, to try and get more accurate info online. Their "fix" was to add "Chile" to the Lan reference on the website. When I explained post-modification why this is WRONG (as there is no Lan Chile), nothing further changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.