Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ending SNA-OAK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
I guess no one from the Bay Area will be able to take their kids to DisneyLand without having to fly Southwest. Orange County has a lot of business travelers and Alaska is giving up that route? I used to fly that trip a lot but have since changed jobs. I would see the same people on the flights. I bet they're not going to be happy...
AA flies SJC-SNA
I beleive someone other than WN also flies it from SFO.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:13 am

AA flies SJC-SNA and SFO-SNA
UA flies SFO-SNA
B6 (Jetblue) flies OAK-LGB (Long Beach)

then you have WN.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just booked an OAK/SNA. It wasn't a great fare, but it was substantially less than WN for the same dates and general flight times. The thing is that when most folks want "the low fare" on these hops, they go right to WN. And if they see $261 RT is the lowest fare at that time, they figure that it must be. At $185 RT(AS) this is not a money loser on a fairly full plane. But the fact is that many people don't even to to AS because WN is "always going to have the lowest fare." WN had this same fare on all of its flights within a certain time range, so it wasn't that only 1 or 2 was nearly sold out. Hey, for $291 on WN, I could get boarding status A, double credits, AND a free cocktail.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I just booked an OAK/SNA. It wasn't a great fare, but it was substantially less than WN for the same dates and general flight times. The thing is that when most folks want "the low fare" on these hops, they go right to WN. And if they see $261 RT is the lowest fare at that time, they figure that it must be. At $185 RT(AS) this is not a money loser on a fairly full plane. But the fact is that many people don't even to to AS because WN is "always going to have the lowest fare." WN had this same fare on all of its flights within a certain time range, so it wasn't that only 1 or 2 was nearly sold out. Hey, for $291 on WN, I could get boarding status A, double credits, AND a free cocktail.
I think this is why WN (and most of the other LCCs) have avoided participating in the online travel agencies (yes, they claim it's to avoid the high costs of doing business on the expensive GDS systems, but there are cheaper alternatives to GDSes, and they could at least participate in Kayak, which would simply search their website directly at very little to no cost). They've successfully trained everyone that they're always going to have the lowest fare, so everyone always goes directly to southwest.com to book, never even looking at others' rates.

If they hadn't have made such a huge push in the past to drive all of the traffic directly to their website, people may have gotten into the habit of comparing them with everyone else at Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, et al., and their strategy may have failed.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The thing is that when most folks want "the low fare" on these hops, they go right to WN. And if they see $261 RT is the lowest fare at that time, they figure that it must be. But the fact is that many people don't even to to AS because WN is "always going to have the lowest fare." WN had this same fare on all of its flights within a certain time range, so it wasn't that only 1 or 2 was nearly sold out. Hey, for $291 on WN, I could get boarding status A, double credits, AND a free cocktail.
In early January, my dad asked me if I knew his Southwest RR # because he was heading to "LA" for a conference. I found out later that he was heading to Orange County not LAX or I would have tried to convince him to take Alaska out of Oakland (he hates going to SFO). Unfortunately, he thinks Southwest first because of all the Southwest flights out of Oakland and Alaska doesn't even come into his mind even with my flying Alaska a lot. I don't know where Southwest gets all it's money for marketing but they're certainly doing a great job getting people to think about them first.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
In early January, my dad asked me if I knew his Southwest RR # because he was heading to "LA" for a conference. I found out later that he was heading to Orange County not LAX or I would have tried to convince him to take Alaska out of Oakland (he hates going to SFO). Unfortunately, he thinks Southwest first because of all the Southwest flights out of Oakland and Alaska doesn't even come into his mind even with my flying Alaska a lot. I don't know where Southwest gets all it's money for marketing but they're certainly doing a great job getting people to think about them first.
WN is successful because of frequency on the intra-CA routes, not because they are the cheapest. The flexibility offered by flights every 30 minutes on some routes just can't be beat.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So, WN markets itself as a leisure airline, but they actually attract the business traveler because of the frequency of their flights? Sounds like they should shift their marketing target demographic (and maybe install some F seats while they're at it)!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
So, WN markets itself as a leisure airline, but they actually attract the business traveler because of the frequency of their flights? Sounds like they should shift their marketing target demographic (and maybe install some F seats while they're at it)!
There is no need to shift marketing dollars or add F class. WN owns the intra-California business travel market simply because they have far more flight options to more Southern California airports than any other airline. Only UA's SFO-LAX service comes close in terms of frequency.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Today, AS sent an email entitled "Changes in Oakland and Orange County Service" - (sounds so much better than Cancelled ) - with a $50 e-cert - a few days too late, after I booked an OAK/SNA trip.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AS, UA, CO, AA
I think it's a Walmart effect. Walmart doesn't always have the lowest prices, but they tell you they do. "Always low prices, always." I think that's the same mentality that's going on here with AS vs. WN in this market. Why shop elsewhere when WN is the "discount king" (to steal the description used for WN in a recent media report).
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
It also helps WN that they don't post their fare data to Internet fare search engines so it requires more effort and steps to determine how WN's fares compare with other carriers.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I just found out about this, and I'm not happy. While I really hate OAK as an airport for all of the aforementioned reasons, as well as having a really crappy BART connection, it has been my airport of choice over SFO. The prices for UA/AA SNA-SFO are absolutely ridiculous - enough for me to put up with all of OAK's shortcomings.

I guess I now have to go Southwest if I want to pay a decent fare. And I hate flying Southwest. Hopefully VX will begin SNA-SFO someday and bring the prices back down on AA/UA - but I'm sure it will force AA out of that market too (not that it matters with the RJ's they fly anyhow).

Jetblue is a great option, except for the fact SNA is 10 minutes from my house, and LGB is 25-40 depending on traffic.
SNA_Flyer said it all. I can't stand the RJ's on AA and the prices are absurd.

The choices between here and the LA area keep dwindling. There are lots of options between the two delay-prone, congested airports (SFO/LAX) and not much but WN to the others.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by bayarea_LCSA
AA flies SJC-SNA and SFO-SNA
UA flies SFO-SNA
B6 (Jetblue) flies OAK-LGB (Long Beach)

then you have WN.
SJC-SNA: AA has one or two mainline flights with the rest on Eagle.
SFO-SNA: AA is all Eagle, UA has jets.

While these are short flights, the 1000 EQMs 5 or 6 times a year do contribute to my status tier. Last year I had only 50,217 EQMs on AA. I may have to grit my teeth and take a RJ or drive to SJC (Caltrain and the 10 shuttle takes too freaking long).
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AS FF Guru
I think it's a Walmart effect. Walmart doesn't always have the lowest prices, but they tell you they do. "Always low prices, always." I think that's the same mentality that's going on here with AS vs. WN in this market. Why shop elsewhere when WN is the "discount king" (to steal the description used for WN in a recent media report).
I think you are correct. I know too many occasional travelers who go directly to WN's website and don't look at anything else for these trips.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS FF Guru
That may be true in many of WN's markets but I don't think it is the case in this one or any other intra-California route. These planes are full of business travelers who don't look at any other airline because they know WN is going to have the best schedule. I know many people with UA status, myself included, who fly WN on these routes regardless of price simply because of the flexibility offered by the WN schedule.

AS had the leisure market on this route because AS was pretty much always the cheapest. AS just doesn't have enough presence on the Northern California - Southern California market to draw in business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.