Northwest Airlines First Class Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:06 am
IJK

Just two words: Practically Useless...

Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage Plane
Clarification

I'm new to this whole thing so bear with me...

Is the only way to redeem the NW upgrade certificate at booking to 1) buy a full fare ticket 2) through a NW phone agent? (The email I received from AS mentioned "other qualifying coach fares", but doesn't list what those might be.)

I haven't booked my flight home (GEG-SAT or AUS), but connecting through MN is a little out of the way so I'd rather know at booking if I'd get an upgrade or not. Otherwise, I'll get something a little more direct.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Unless it's a Y fare you dont get an instant upgrade. You have until 24 hours before the flight to call NWA and see if there's anything left and use your cert.

However, usually by then all NWA elites clear so you are at the very back of the line. I've been able to use them once but I wouldnt count on it.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
I've had better luck being nice to the gate agent than I ever have had w/the NWA upgrades. I wouldn't mind if they could negotiate upgrade awards for Skyteam instead (not holding my breath however)
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan, Hilton HHonors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by brarrr
I believe that this is the first reported successful upgrade w/ the e-certs - so it may just be that you were the first person to actually use one!
I have tried unsuccessfully to use my MVP partner upgrades on NWA on two cross-country trips in the last month. Similar experiences to others reported - even when seats have been available in First, agents tell me that booking class R is so low on the food chain that there is virtually no chance of getting an upgrade.
A NWA reservations agent this morning told me that it was extremely rare that one of these certificates ever gets an upgrade. So, it is the appearance of goodwill and a perk for being an MVP with very little chance of ever being able to use it.
I notice people selling these upgrades on eBay...that may be the only way to get any value out of them, but frankly it's kind of a scam since the seller probably knows there is almost no chance they can be redeemed.
When considering Alaska for my Freddie Award vote, I won't consider the partner upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.