Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Flying Fish... Plane!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
I was swallowed by the fish last night in OAK. Thankfully, I didn't taste that good, and was spit out in SEA.
2TallSeaFlyer=Jonah
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS, Best Western, Hertz
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
My $.02... while I agree that the private free market system should be in effect, I see no problem with the federal government helping out (to a certain extent) American private industry in the international markets. Domestically, yes it's survival of the fitness. But foreign countries gives subsidies and other economic incentives/advantages to their companies all the time... why shouldn't the US?
^
Well ya got a good point there!

But it enlarges the issue to include a need for data that has so far not been a part of the discussion (i.e. details of foreign and US subsidies, import/export taxes, WTO issues, Canada / US fishing issues, history of the industry and etc.).

I am quite willing to limit my ranting and raving to the domestic side of all this, and to make an exception or allowance here or there, provided the data support it.

Do you suspect a political pay-off (as I do), fraud, corruption, or greed in all this?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Almost MVP
Do you suspect a political pay-off (as I do), fraud, corruption, or greed in all this?
If you're talking about kickbacks from the Board to the House Reps for getting that funding to the Board... I almost wouldn't doubt it. I imagine the Reps are actually getting healthier, what with all the seafood they've been eating

If the scope of this discussion is domestic, then I would agree that the use of such "advertising" money (read: pork) for the domestic market is not only pointless and a waste of money, but gives the board an unfair advantage to, say e.g., the Hawaiian-based seafood industry. Talk about favoritism! BUT, then again, those AK reps must have done one hell of a job, and those HI reps better get on board!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS, Best Western, Hertz
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If you're talking about kickbacks from the Board to the House Reps for getting that funding to the Board... I almost wouldn't doubt it. I imagine the Reps are actually getting healthier, what with all the seafood they've been eating

If the scope of this discussion is domestic, then I would agree that the use of such "advertising" money (read: pork) for the domestic market is not only pointless and a waste of money, but gives the board an unfair advantage to, say e.g., the Hawaiian-based seafood industry. Talk about favoritism! BUT, then again, those AK reps must have done one hell of a job, and those HI reps better get on board!
I'm glad that we are thinking along the same lines!

I could say very very cool, but then again an "Ice" Trojan........
BTW I'm wondering what is an Ice Trojan anyway? .....Could it be a USC graduate that flys Alaska?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well the Senior Senator from Alaska (Ted Stevens) successfully blocked a bid by the junior Senator from Oklahoma (Tom Coburn) to divert about a half billion from the two AK bridges to repair I-10 in New Orleans, so the bridge to KTN is safe which should eventually improve AS loads and yields since it will be easier to get people and cargo to/from the airport.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...pending21.html
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The salmon-30-salmon paint job is being retired and will apparently be replaced by another Alaska themed paint job.

Tim Thompson, director of public relations and community marketing for the airline, confirmed that the plane will be painted over after a final ceremonial flight on April 17.
https://alaskabeacon.com/briefs/alas...to-be-extinct/
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The salmon-30-salmon paint job is being retired and will apparently be replaced by another Alaska themed paint job.

https://alaskabeacon.com/briefs/alas...to-be-extinct/

There's a change.org petition to encourage AS to paint a salmon-thirty-salmon III: https://www.change.org/p/save-salmon-thirty-salmon-ii
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA

There's a change.org petition to encourage AS to paint a salmon-thirty-salmon III: https://www.change.org/p/save-salmon-thirty-salmon-ii

Signed!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM
https://simpleflying.com/alaska-airl...g-737-petition
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the ceremonial last trip:
https://www.ktoo.org/2023/04/18/salm...mon-last-trip/

Travelers boarding the last flight received shirts, hats and other swag, including free tickets, according to airline spokesperson Tim Thompson, who was on the flight. Thompson said the passengers included 30 Alaska Airlines employees who were selected from more than 800 who applied for the opportunity to ride on the ceremonial flight.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
If they are gonna get rid of the salmon...the least they can do it paint it into a humpback whale!
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Thought the S30SII was retired last week?!? It’s currently at the N gates.

Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the42ndstate
From the story I linked to above:
Thompson clarified that the flying salmon may still be in use for another few days, but that this was its ceremonial last flight — and it will be repainted soon.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:14 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL

Flying salmon @Brw during COVID 🐟
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by the42ndstate
Fr24 suggests it's flying SAN-SEA-ABQ-SEA today and then SEA-AMA tomorrow presumably for repainting.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.