A Flying Fish... Plane!

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
A Flying Fish... Plane!

There’s something fishy in the air and the rumor is it has something to do with Alaska Airlines’ newest themed aircraft.*

Employees can be the first to cast their eyes on the new aircraft during special Potlatch celebrations in Seattle on Oct. 1 and Anchorage on Oct. 2...........*

Although the new aircraft livery remains a secret, those who have seen the design describe it as a unique work of art. “It’s hands down going to be the most intricately painted aircraft in the world,” said Greg Latimer, director of brand and product marketing. “I hope employees will come out, bring their families and see it for themselves.”*

The events and special paint scheme are being funded by the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board, which is partnering with Alaska Airlines on the project. “There is no way we could even entertain such a project if we had to incur this cost ourselves,” Latimer said.*

The Seattle event is scheduled from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, at the Alaska Airlines Maintenance Hangar at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The aircraft is scheduled to arrive at 2 p.m. (Note: The time and place of the event have changed since the first notice in Alaska’s World.)
source: Alaskasworld.com (some parts omitted)

I am very excited! I wonder if it will be one big fish (similar to SW and Shamoo) or many fish painted all over.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Sounds really cool.

It will involve salmon for sure.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
...those who have seen the design describe it as a unique work of art. “It’s hands down going to be the most intricately painted aircraft in the world,” said Greg Latimer
This makes me think it will be a totem. The pictures on the back of the Frontier Planes are very nice so this would need to be quite a bit better to be the most intricately painted aircraft in the world.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Dudemon
This makes me think it will be a totem. The pictures on the back of the Frontier Planes are very nice so this would need to be quite a bit better to be the most intricately painted aircraft in the world.
Well, the Frontier planes use decals, so they are not intricately painted (which probably allows AS to make the claim.) The original AS Disney plane is painted, but I think the characters are decals which were then airbrushed to give them a 3D appearance. If you have ever seen that plane up close it is very intricate. I can't imagine how you could get more detailed than Wunala Dreaming (Qantas) though. We'll have to see!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:39 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by ClassCAir
source: Alaskasworld.com (some parts omitted)

I am very excited! I wonder if it will be one big fish (similar to SW and Shamoo) or many fish painted all over.
Look..up in the air.. its a big flying Humpy!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ClassCAir
Well, the Frontier planes use decals, so they are not intricately painted (which probably allows AS to make the claim.) The original AS Disney plane is painted, but I think the characters are decals which were then airbrushed to give them a 3D appearance. If you have ever seen that plane up close it is very intricate. I can't imagine how you could get more detailed than Wunala Dreaming (Qantas) though. We'll have to see!
They are painted on. We got to see pictures of the process when it first rolled out.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Junkie
Sounds really cool.

It will involve salmon for sure.
That would make it a Salmon thirty salmon-400....
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Sneak peak before the official unveiling:

http://www.microvoltradio.com/images/n792as.jpg
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Sneak peak before the official unveiling:

http://www.microvoltradio.com/images/n792as.jpg
That is REALLY cool! RASMguy, you're right, it's definately a salmon-thirty-salmon!
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
That is too too cool. I think the entire fleet should get that paint job
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:24 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I absolutely LOVE IT! ^
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:25 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Here's another photo and some additional information:

http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/200...mon_unveil.asp

Last edited by MileageAddict; Oct 2, 2005 at 6:11 am
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Thumbs up Beautiful

What an absolutely gorgeous bird! ... or fish ...or
Good job Alaska and all involved.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beautiful!
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Starwood Plt, Marriott Silver, Others
That is an incredible paint job! Similar to Junkie's comments, does anyone know if other aircraft are going to get a new image?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.