Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open AS account or stick with AA/NW?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Open AS account or stick with AA/NW?

I've been travelling about one flight a year on AS since I relocated to Seattle 6 years ago. I carried balances on AA and NW prior to coming here, so I never saw the need to open an AS account, but now I will be flying a lot more on AS, so I'm reconsidering. I currently have 65k miles on AA and 100k miles on NW.

Is it worth it to open an AS account to take advantage of their bonus offers, etc? Or should I just stick to what I've got? (one more note, I do not have status on either AA or NW) Any advice would be appreciated!

Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:37 am

I'd say - Yes. I have both AS & NW accounts, but will probably be crediting all my miles to NW-to consolidate. My plan is to continue to rack up AS miles through varios means (credit card, mileage dining, etc), which you can then use to buy 5,000 mile upgrades on AS or an AS50 award for 15k. You can do this (e.g. upgrade an AS segment that is part of a larger AA/NW itinerary). Since the AS miles don't expire, no reason not to do it. In my case, it allows me a place to put miles after I reach my desired mileage level or elite status on an annual basis on the other carrier.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:31 am

Another consideration is that you will have a good shot at MVP status (25k miles or 30 segments AS/NW/AA et al. combined). For some folks (I would think especially for a SEA-based flyer) this is more readily attainable than either AA or NW elite status.

Apart from the free upgrades on AS, it would be nice for you to get the 50% mileage MVP bonus on all your AA & NW flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.