Search

AS Visa First Class Upgrade Availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
AS Visa First Class Upgrade Availability

I fly LAX-YVR each August. I was thinking of applying for the BofA MileagePlan Platinum Visa, mainly for the two First Class coupons each year which I could use for this trip. In reading the fine print, it seems these coupons can only be used the day of the flight (no advanced booking). Can anyone please tell me if I'm mistaken on this point?

It seems to me that there aren't going to any first class seats to YVR in August (and on weekend days)after all of the MVP upgrades and others with more priority in the queue than a same day, space availabile upgrade.

I'd love to hear from those who fly AS a lot how easy it is to use the Visa upgrades...

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If that's the case, they are (almost) worthless - every MVP Gold has unlimited time-of-booking upgrades, and every MVP has unlimited 48 hour upgrades. I would assume the MVP/Golds have waitlist priority above someone wanting just to use the cert, also.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:03 pm

In the 4 years I've had this card, I've given these certs to a friend...who has never been able to use them, even as an MVP. They are pretty useless. I'm surprised no one has sued over this widely promoted alleged benefit that is nearly impossible to utilize on any decent destination...same goes for utilizing a Qantas award ticket using AS miles.

BTW, the "customer service" from B of A on the plat card stinks as well.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:04 pm

However, I think if you fly LAX-YVR direct, there is not a bad chance of upgrade. Flights from Seattle to LAX probably have a lot more MVP and MVP Golds on them than the direct flights to/from Canada. I don't think Vancouver has the same kind of MVP base numbers.

Flights that go through Seattle would be far less likely to have departure day upgrades available. But maybe someone more familiar with this route can add some details...
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Yes, you can only use them at the airport on the day of the flight.

I have managed to use some of these coupons, but only because I fly AS somewhat regularly and try to use them every time I fly, and occasionally I get lucky. I wouldn't apply for the credit card just for the upgrade coupons if you fly AS only once a year. However, it might be worth it for the $50 companion certificate if you always take this trip with a friend.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
In the 4 years I've had this card, I've given these certs to a friend...who has never been able to use them, even as an MVP. They are pretty useless. </font>
Actually, Fred, the first couple of years the certs weren't day of flight, iirc, and were confirmable at time of booking just like the certs mvp and golds used to receive. Occasionally, I see flights down south go out with first class seats open but certainly not often that you can count on using them. All of the benefits of the Visa card (no more boardroom passes, companion cert not transferable) have been eroded mightily the last two years and I am not sure the card is really worth it anymore.

Old Mar 26, 2003, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I gave my two to friends last year and they were able to use them PDX-SAN in late July.

I book early enough when I fly AS that it is no problem to confirm with miles at time of booking.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied so quickly to my question. It does appear that the cost of the annual fee versus the benefits of the card aren't geared to someone with my flight patterns. I'll just book the cheapest fare like I always do - if I fly AS, I'll just use miles or pay the $50 for a (hopeful) upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 3:36 pm
travelalot5

Day of travel. High end destinations (LAS, ANC, PHX) more difficult to use. My guess is overall 35-40% chance of using them.

Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
The upgrade certificates are virtually worthless, despite what Alaska and BA actually say.

The sole reason to get the platinum card is for the $50 companion ticket to anywhere Alaska flies. If that was ever eliminated I believe 85+% of the card holders would drop out. The fact that it is run by customer service poor Bank of America is also a negative on the card.

If you want a cheap mileage card you can always get the $25 Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard. The Hawaiian miles program allows you to use the miles on Alaska with the same mileage amounts (and it takes less mileage to Hawaii than using the Alaska program)

Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:06 am
Original Poster

OK, this is off topic but I hope you guys enjoy it.

Regarding BofA's "poor service" for Platinum Visa, a few years ago, they rolled out a service called "Platinum Concierge." It was pretty much a dedicated 800 number for Platinum cardholders to use for personal assistance. Well, someone didn't check the copy of the mailers close enough and clients received the wrong phone number for the service. Clients who called the number reached, you guessed it, a phone sex company.

How's that for good service?
beckoa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.