Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Stopovers in Chile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Two Stopovers in Chile?

I'm trying to book a trip to Chile PDX-SCL-PUQ-SCL-PDX and I was hoping to get stopovers in Santiago on the inbound and outbound flights. PUQ is Punta Arenas - literally the end of the earth on Tierra del Fuego - and it would be great to rest for a day or two before traveling forward. Going directly PDX-PUQ involves 5 legs on a trip and at least 2 plane changes: PDX-LAX-LIM-SCL-PMC-PUQ...

The Partner Desk says no, only one stopover per itinerary. My alternative is to buy a "Visit Chile Pass" for $300 to supplement my free ticket and get the extra stopover.

Am I asking too much? Is there a reason for the one-stopover rule? Have others be able to get around it in other award bookings? Wouldn't it be a good idea for Alaska to negotiatiate awards with a second stopover option, perhaps with a small fee?

Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by South of the Border:
Wouldn't it be a good idea for Alaska to negotiatiate awards with a second stopover option, perhaps with a small fee?
</font>
You don't need us to tell you that. Why don't you write to Alaska's Mileage Plan as well as their partner airlines and propose this? Start a petition drive! Organize protests! Start a movement!

For what it's worth, I found airfares within Chile to be very affordable once you're down there.

Although this may be a little off topic, if you have time and you really want to add to your adventure, make your AS/LA award to Puerto Montt with a stopover in Santiago. Take the Navimag ferry between Puerto Montt and Puerto Natales, about a three hour bus ride from Punta Arenas. The ferry ride is four days and, with the exception of a night spent barfing with all the other passengers on the Golfo de Penas, is a fantastic journey very similar to Alaska's Inside Passage. For more information, check out

Navimag Ferry

From Punta Arenas, you can either get the best one way deal you can back to SCL or fly to Puerto Montt and check out the finest busses in the world - the Servicio Camas service or Sleeper Seat Service (1-2 seating with 50" pitch, hostesses, snacks, wine and movies - on a bus! for about $40.00 - Time: 14 hours o/w) back up to Santiago.

If you get a chance, try and spend some time in the Lakes District around Puerto Montt. I spent a couple of months down there back in 1994. Osorno, Chiloe - gorgeous area. And, it's only a three hour bus ride to Bariloche, Argentina. Or better yet, take the lakes route to Bariloche.

Whatever you end up doing, have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The "one stopover" rule (or open jaw alternative) is pretty much standard industry practice on the awards. With respect to your alternatives, you can redeem a 25K LA domestic award, which also gives you a Chile stopover. You can also buy direct on the Lan webpage (using the Chile option) and you will save another 3%.

I have been to Chile 4 times, and PUQ once. Yes, it is a long way.

If you want to see a lot more of Chile (always a good idea) you can be creative combining 2 awards. In December I did just that - the main award was SFO/SCL/PMC/SFO with the end point PMC and "stopover" SCL - from SCL, I redeemed the 25K award to go SCL/IQQ/LSC/SCL, and then "rejoined" the main award.

Disfrutelo!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
FWIW, last time I was in Chile, (back in 1999) I checked out airfares between Iquique and Santiago while in the US. One way was about $280.00USD. Once in Chile, I found a fare for $130.00.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Seat 2A, the lower fares can be purchased here on the LA webpage - but a US-based travel agency will only have the option of selling a full Y on most Chile national routes.

Since the posting of the first message here, I just booked my annual late December trip to Chile
Old Mar 12, 2003, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah... Late December in Chile... On an annual basis,no less! Have a wonderful time!!

The cheap fares I got were with Avant, a local airline. Back then, LA's fares were considerably higher. At least, via their website.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Eastbay and Seat2A! I'm always impressed by the generosity and the experience of everyone on Flyer Talk! And I appreciate you letting me vent about the 1-stopover rule, which upon reflection I understand.

This December will be my fourth trip to Chile, as I have family in both Santiago and Puerto Montt. We did our honeymoon in the Lake District and Chiloe, so I can certainly endorse your description of its beauty.

My problem is always trying to cram an exciting itinerary into a three week window of opportunity... The ferry to Puerto Natales sounds like an excellent option.

Hasta luego and muchas gracias por sus ideas y el entusiasmo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.