Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC Meal Quality

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
FC Meal Quality

In the last few weeks, I've had the opportunity to travel AS in FC between the Bay Area and DC through Seattle, and also between San Francisco and Vancouver. Food on the DC flights is just great: really creative and tasty meals served in courses (unlike some other airlines), including side selections like cream cheese-topped pumpkin pie and a camembert and sliced fruit snack tray with peppered pears and figs. Nuts and rolls were always served warm (but printed menus distributed in one direction only).

Local West Coast food seems to vary. On the positive side, great marsala chicken and cucumber sandwiches with minted tabouli salad were served on a dinner flight ex YVR.
But the reverse direction dinner flight out of SFO to YVR had unbelievably dry ham- turkey sandwiches with a white bean/chopped baloney "salad" that looked and tasted like dog food (OK, I admit I haven't actually tasted dog food). Luckily the other choice, caesar salad with chicken chunks was OK.

Also, on a breakfast flight OAK-PDX, the FAs said that no coffee or warm beverages could be served because "we have no hot water", though coffee had been served in F on the ground. The breakfast tray was too small, with a tiny pastry and some fruit slices. I guess I've been lucky getting seconds in F, but one shouldn't have to count on it.

[This message has been edited by Explore (edited 10-30-2002).]
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:48 am

Yes, AS transcontinental flights are great with nice selection of food and snacks. I am glad that AS add a second refreshment service on the morning trancon flights. At most times, the F/As are great.

About the West Coast flghts, I guess we are fortunate enough to serve a proper meal. UA Shuttle and Southwest no longers serves a meal on flights between Oakland and PDX, or SFO and SEA, YVR and SFO. AS snacks can vary. I personally don't like its lunch service, but I guess we are lucky to have something. The breakfast service is more like a continental one... Just for comparison, I flew UA F from SEA to SFO earlier this month... breakfast consisted of one single banana and a choice of cereal or Cinnamon roll or bagel. At least AS F gets you a fruit plate.

I hope you enjoy the AS experience. It is a good airline.

Carfield
Old Oct 30, 2002, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Flights between the Bay Area and PDX/SEA/YVR receive snacks and not full meals. The full breakfast and dinner selections are more substantial than the ones you described.

The last time I flew on a lunch flight (roughly a year ago), there was a choice between a salad w/ roll and a chicken sandwich Since I was in row 3, I received the sandwich by default, which was tiny, lukewarm, flavorless and served on a generic bun. The salad, in comparison, looked quite filling. I filled-in a comment card suggesting they add some fresh fruit or a cup of soup to the sandwich option. I also suggested they offer a slice of cake for dessert service like on the evening flights.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:33 pm

We flew FC from SEA-TUS in July. 7PM flight, Snack only in FC Cheese plate with 4 slices and 4 grapes. double

Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The transcon redeye F snack wasn't much more. Its one service where UA outshines AS by a longshot.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 3:59 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
First time I flew AS was DEN-SEA-OAK in F a few weeks ago. DEN-SEA was designated as a "lunch" flight but I only received a sandwich with a tiny Ghiradelli chocolate on the side - no salad, no true dessert. I expected more since I had heard such great things about their meals and service. The SEA-OAK-SEA legs were strictly beverage & bag 'o nuts.

The other thing that irked me was the way they allow coach passengers to use the F lavatory. They even made an announcement at the beginning of each leg asking passengers to "wait by the curtain if the front lav is occupied due to security concerns."

On a brighter note the flight crew on the return SEA-DEN leg was excellent. The "dinner" service was served a course at a time - salad, main course, then dessert. The only odd thing was the little prayer card on the tray, which seemed a bit out of place on an airplane which is presumably flown by people from all religions. It could potentially be offensive to some customers.

It's great having another airline serving DEN, especially one that earns elite-qualifying NW miles to the West coast. I'm just not sure it's worth spending more and adding several hours routing via SEA over a non-stop on UA, F9, or AA for my California travel.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 6:32 pm

As someone who flies AS in FC nearly every week, I suppose I'll toss in my 2 cents on AS food as observed through recent FC experiences.

Most of my SEA-OAK/SFO/LAX/SJC/SAN/SNA/ONT/ PHX/TUS/DEN/LAS/RNO/SMF flights are around the dinner meal time of 4:30PM-7PM. In the past few months, I have also noticed a bit of a change in the food onboard in FC. Hot food, it seems, has been replaced in many cases with cold food plates.

The sandwich / Cobb salad offering is pretty nice, though, considering that 1) there's still a choice and 2) a lot of other airlines have completely lopped off food on flights of under 3 hours.

I was really surprised that my AS SMF-SEA flight last week (90 minutes) still had a meal offering. The sandwich breads are at least "rustic" style, and the meats have been of decent deli quality. I was a bit surprised, though, that last nights SJC-SEA flight had no Dijonnaise catered to serve with the sandwich ('twas a bit dry...).

We MVPG's, however, do not have to pay additional in miles or $$$ like you do at other airlines for the pleasure of the "big seat", so I guess I'm grateful for whatever there is food wise. No, I don't work for AS nor do I have any of their stock.

I've had much worse, to whit:

I also fly AA a lot, probably also about once a week, most commonly via ORD and DFW (surprise, surprise), also in FC. Breakfast on AA has become a complete tosser, with the "pancakes" and "french toast" being completely revolting (who in their right mind serves skillet potatoes and onions with pancakes that have soaked up sausage grease?). The folks "cooking" this slop must have a great laugh at the pax expense as this stuff wouldn't make it to my dog's grub bowl. The real sin here is that the weight of the "food" aids in more fuel being used for the flight.

The only sane onboard breakfast meal option is to go for the cold cereal; in AA's defense, however, the fruit plate is quite nice with canteloupe, honeydew, a strawberry and grapes (much the same as AS has for their breakfast fruit plate....thank you, LSG SkyChefs). The next time I go to ORD (this Saturday) on AA, I'm grabbing a bistro bag on the way to my FC seat.

Who's the real idiot? Me, as it costs four 500 mile upgrades for the "royal treatment" each way on AA between SEA and ORD or DFW. This will soon stop, as I'll succumb to coach and save my upgrades for the transcons, where meals are still meals. So, ya see, it could be worse. You could actually be "paying" for the food.

One comment re: the prayer card AS puts on the tray at mealtime. I'm not a religious guy at all, but I completely applaud the little Psalm saying that accompanies each meal (although I think it would be nice to have more than 2 or 3 different ones...I think I have them memorized by now). I find it a peaceful gesture and a great touch that differentiates AS from the rest of the pack. I don't feel as if anything or anyone's viewpoint is being "forced" upon me, as it's my choice whether to read it or not.

On a recent SEA-TUS flight, the FA serving breakfast asked the guy sitting next to me in 2F if he would like anything additional after breakafast. The guy said he wanted another bloody mary "as long as it doesn't come with any more of that Judeo-Christian propaganda", referring to the prayer card.

Now, what was the point in saying that? The FA was being really great on this flight, asking about drink refills for the third time (when he could have been sitting in the jump seat catching up on reading), and here this BONEHEAD has to pop off with a completely rude, ignorant and disrespectful comment like that. Boy, now there's a motivator for that FA to keep up the great service!
Old Oct 31, 2002, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:

I was a bit surprised, though, that last nights SJC-SEA flight had no Dijonnaise catered to serve with the sandwich ('twas a bit dry...).

The guy said he wanted another bloody mary "as long as it doesn't come with any more of that Judeo-Christian propaganda", referring to the prayer card.

Now, what was the point in saying that?
</font>
(1) Did no one have the dijonnaise? I ate a dry sandwich recently, and then noticed that other pax had it on their trays. Maybe it just fell off or negiligent prep by the kitchens.

(2) There is no point in saying that in that manner to the FA, but there is a point in bringing it up in a tasteful way with the company if a passenger finds it offensive. I choose to fly the airline despite what I find to be something I find mildly offensive, and a complete waste of money. Making a wisecrack to a good flight attendant accomplishes nothing, however.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. I also fly Alaska despite the mildly offensive prayer. But there's no need to be nasty to any FA let alone a good one. It's possibly worth mentioning in a polite way but it would be much more effective to fill out one of the comment cards at the front of the airplane (mentioning, of course, that the offensive card came with great service from the FA).

I would like to see the prayer go away. Why offend even a few people with a message that nobody expects to receive on an airplane?
Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
As someone who flies AS in FC nearly every week, I suppose I'll toss in my 2 cents on AS food as observed through recent FC experiences.

Most of my SEA-OAK/SFO/LAX/SJC/SAN/SNA/ONT/ PHX/TUS/DEN/LAS/RNO/SMF flights are around the dinner meal time of 4:30PM-7PM. In the past few months, I have also noticed a bit of a change in the food onboard in FC. Hot food, it seems, has been replaced in many cases with cold food plates.
</font>
I'm so happy that you enjoy the service that we provide. I think it's pretty far above what you get in comparable markets on any other airline. As to the comment regarding meal service in First Class, it really hasn't changed at all in some time. in fact, I've seen the same entrees being rotated around for three years. We've been serving cold First Class lunches and dinner snacks on flights from SEA to OAK/SJC/SFO/SMF/LAS for some time. On dinner time flights to PHX/LAX/BUR/ONT/SNA/TUS/DEN we are still serving the same meals and portions we have been for several years. Honestly, despite your observations, we haven't slimmed down the meal service in First Class. The cheeseplates you used to get quite frequently on the off hours have been replaced with warmed nuts in most markets recently, but that has been the only notable change.

Thanks for all your business - we really do appreciate it and it's good to know we are treating you right.

Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:24 am

rjque, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm somewhat new here, myself.

I realize that some folks find the prayer card on AS meal trays offensive at different levels. As a "christian" raised but non-practicing, non-"religious" person, I ask indulgence of the rest of us that welcome it as a symbol of thanks for the meal that we receive, albeit "weak" from the opinion of many posts on this board.

I have limited but positive feelings for the "prayer card" and its presence on the meal tray. I like it being there and feel that it separates AS from the rest of the generic airline pack. Flying this airline extensively for the past 3 years, I'd notice if it "went away", and though it would not change my flying habits, I think I'd feel AS a bit less unique and special for deleting it.

PC be ****ed, I have to say, good for them for having the ba$$s to put that on the food tray. Like it or not, I think it just asks thanks for the food that we receive, which a lot of us take for granted. I'm not even going to get into the "starving children in Africa" thing here.

As stated before, I can choose to ignore it if I so desire, which I sometimes do. I also strongly disapprove of and recoil from the number of deaths and oppression that have occurred worldwide due to and under the auspices of religious "beliefs" and find that reality EXTREMELY disgusting.

That said, the Psalm on the prayer card is, to me, merely giving thanks for the meal, nothing more. I ask that people take it in the spirit in which is intended, being goodwill. Choose your own thanks for the meal, or choose none at all.

Sorry if I touched some nerves here, just one person's opinion, nothing more.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
The cheeseplates you used to get quite frequently on the off hours have been replaced with warmed nuts in most markets recently, but that has been the only notable change.

Even as a semi-frequent flyer, I have noticed this. I try to frequent off-peak flights whenever possible. Some of the cheese plates were more inspired then others (jalapeno cheddar, yum!), but at least AS showed it was trying to differentiate the F product from that of Y. I'm afraid the nuts in a plastic container really don't achieve the same effect.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I did a bunch of flying around on Alaska this summer, most all of it in First Class. Here's a link to my report detailing the meals, most of which I thought were pretty good by today's standards

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002952.html
Old Nov 4, 2002, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for the link, Seat 2A. Much appreciated.

Regarding the psalms, the sentiments are great, but a regulated common carrier should not be identifying with a specific religion. Just exclude the Bible reference, add some unattributed thoughts from Hinduism, Buddhism, and Ben Franklin, and we'll be in business.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

(Double post - deleted)

[This message has been edited by Explore (edited 11-04-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.