Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Qualifying Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

MVP Qualifying Mileage Question

When I fly PDX-SEA how many miles do I get for my MVP Gold Qualifications. It appears to be actual mileage (129), but I've also heard it's a minimum of 500.

If it is 500 does it matter if it's a connection, i.e. PDX-NYC would I get 1000 miles for the PDX-SEA & return, plus the SEA-NYC round trip miles?
Old Oct 16, 2002, 7:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
You get 500 qualifying miles minimum, and if the flight is a different flight number, you will get credit for each segment. Note: I have heard of AA flights where people even changed airplanes, but the flight still had the same flight number so they didnt get any bonus miles.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:26 pm

Re: AA and 1 stop change of plane flights with no flight number change, you are correct. I took a SEA-MSY in July, stopping in DFW and was not given the bonus segment/miles. I also have a SEA-MCO coming up, stopping in STL and changing planes, but the flight number stays the same. Again, no bonus segment or credit for the stop.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smilee:
if the flight is a different flight number, you will get credit for each segment. Note: I have heard of AA flights where people even changed airplanes, but the flight still had the same flight number so they didnt get any bonus miles.</font>
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone since it's spelled out in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members guide:

Mileage Plan members will receive mileage credit based on the nonstop mileage between the origin and destination indicated on the ticket. When travel involves connecting flights with a change of flight numbers, members will receive mileage credit for each flight segment. A flight segment is defined as travel with the same flight number between any two points, regardless of any intermediate stops.

Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You can usually buy these as 2 segments, which resolves the issue. You may get hit with additional taxes/fees as a result, however. Someone over on the UA board was recently was complaining about the same thing and thought UA was particularly evil for doing this.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
You can usually buy these as 2 segments, which resolves the issue. You may get hit with additional taxes/fees as a result, however. Someone over on the UA board was recently was complaining about the same thing and thought UA was particularly evil for doing this. </font>
Not as funny as the guy who thinks UA is evil for not letting him use the MIA Arrival showers reserved for paid J/F customers, even though he was *Gold on an upgraded J ticket.

Back to the topic, though - my understanding is that most, if not all airlines measure mileage in this manner, and have done so for a considerable amount of time. Why is there some huge shock, outrage, and/or surprise now?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.