Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

MVP Upgrade rules

Hi folks, I'm a recent MVP member and today I had my first flight since being an MVP. SEA-SNA. I did web checkin yesterday morning thinking I may be able to choose FC seats and checkin via the web. There was a webserver error so I called the MVP desk to inquire about an upgrade. They said I couldnt receive an upgrade since it was within 24 hours of my flight but asked if I would like to use 5000 miles for the upgrade. This made no sense. There was 1 available FC seat when I boarded the plane.

Can someone please tell me the best way to receive complimentary upgrades? Are they automatic or do I need to call the MVP desk prior to my flight? How early in advance can I call? I seem to remember folks on this forum mentioning that the kiosks or the web checkin ask if you would like to be upgraded. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth for a first MVP experience.Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:39 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
You're right..it doesnt make sense. Perhaps the upgrade couldnt be done over the phone since you had already checked in. MVP's can comp upgrade up to 48 hours (actually you can start just after midnight 2 days before the flight)ahead of time. I'd recommend calling for the upgrade BEFORE you webcheck in.

Did you not ask at the gate about upgrading? Odd that they'd let a seat go empty.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks missydarlin for the reply. I will try the 48 hour thing on my return. I was so upset with this experience and the MVP agent could care less saying there were seats available and I could upgrade with my miles, but that the seat wasnt available for the complimentary upgrades.

I ended up switching to my NW WP # at the checkin counter because I figured it did no good having my MVP # in the itinerary. At least this way it would help me get a few thousand miles closer to NW gold by the end of the year. Maybe I'll get a chance to try the upgrade scheme on the return flight. Hopefully the experience will be a bit better. Thanks again.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 5:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
If you changed your to you NW number on your outbound and were waiting for a FC on your return, you'll be SOL. I was waitlisted for a FC seat BOS-SEA. I changed to my AA number at the gate in Seattle after my upgrade didn't clear. Sometime that week, the upgrades did clear (partner got hers) and I was booted off the upgrade list, because I changed my number.

Anyhoo, it pays to be careful with these things as we get closer to the end of the mileage year.

lala
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
My first upgrade as a MVP was also not so good. I phoned, and the CSR said OK you and your partner have 1A 1C, but when we checked in the next day, nope, no such seats however there was a 2C and 3C and when we got on board, the person next to me was nice enough to move.

I was wondering, can you still request a free upgrade if you standby for a flight?
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:38 am

I notice sometimes that the seats I select are changed when I check in too. Not sure how that happens but it hasn't caused any problems for me.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 5:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
It wasn't that my seats were changed, they were somehow either removed from F or they were never added. I tend to think the CSR pressed the wrong button on the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.