Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Alaska Airlines a low cost no frill Airline No food and no live TV and Movies, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Alaska Airlines a low cost no frill Airline No food and no live TV and Movies, etc

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I see Alaska Airlines has a non stop flight between Raleigh and Seattle. I have never gone on Alaska. 5 1/2 hours non stop to Seattle. But a friend told me they are a no-frills airline with poor legroom, no food, and no live TV/Movies. Is he right?
Old May 21, 2024, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

On most flights, AS' standard coach seats have 31"-32" of pitch, the same or better than DL. Food, free entertainment and internet are available.

Main Cabin seating - Alaska Airlines
Old May 21, 2024, 1:25 pm

The food isn't free and you must order the food in-app/online 20 hours or more before your flight leaves. This is probably why your friend thought they didn't have any food, because they indeed don't have any food if you don't preorder (terrible for casual travelers who aren't aware of this). Frankly this is terrible policy by Alaska - they can easily have some sandwiches for sale even if there is wastage but not sure why they don't.

Wifi is free with tmobile etc, bring an ipad etc for entertainment.
DaxOmni, Ted S and Speedbird84 like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The food isn't free and you must order the food in-app/online 20 hours or more before your flight leaves. This is probably why your friend thought they didn't have any food, because they indeed don't have any food if you don't preorder (terrible for casual travelers who aren't aware of this). Frankly this is terrible policy by Alaska - they can easily have some sandwiches for sale even if there is wastage but not sure why they don't.

Wifi is free with tmobile etc, bring an ipad etc for entertainment.
Watch the T-Mobile '*"...its free for some. The entire flight for up to 4 flights per year on Go5G and some of the older plans. Unlimited is via Go5G Plus and Next plans and some of the older plans, mostly the Max ones. If you don't have one of those credits available, there's the offer of "1 hour" free during the flight on the non-unlimited plans. Caveat, that's AS, AA, DL and UL, 100% of domestic and select international.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
But a friend told me they are a no-frills airline with poor legroom, no food, and no live TV/Movies. Is he right?
According to Oxford Dictionary, a “frill” is an “unnecessary extra feature or embellishment”. By this definition, Alaska has “no frills”. What it does have is: reliability, great customer service, baggage guarantee, and a valuable mileage program.

If you want frills, fly Delta.

Last edited by AKLifetimeFlyer; May 21, 2024 at 2:10 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
I see Alaska Airlines has a non stop flight between Raleigh and Seattle. I have never gone on Alaska. 5 1/2 hours non stop to Seattle. But a friend told me they are a no-frills airline with poor legroom, no food, and no live TV/Movies. Is he right?
Your friend is wrong.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Your friend is wrong.
The friend is absolutely correct for an infrequent east-coast traveler who isn't familiar with how Alaska Airlines works.

Not everyone monitors their emails to preorder food, or has the app downloaded to get the notification about it. In this case, they will absolutely be stuck without food on a 5+ hour flight.
Similarly, people might think that Alaska has seat-back tv similar to Delta and not have any media downloaded on their ipads etc. And unless they have tmobile they wouldn't have free wifi either.
Also if coming from the east-coast, the frequencies of Alaska flights are much less, so any irrop situation can easily derail the whole trip by 1-2 days.

Alaska Airlines should definitely offer free wifi and non-preordered food at the very least if they want to be comparable to delta etc (to offer "frills")
eeb100k likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:31 pm

Alaska offers free entertainment on your mobile or computer device. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-entertainment
Old May 21, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The food isn't free and you must order the food in-app/online 20 hours or more before your flight leaves. This is probably why your friend thought they didn't have any food, because they indeed don't have any food if you don't preorder (terrible for casual travelers who aren't aware of this).
I thought Americans were hooked on intermittent fasting haha.

Of course I eat when served in F, but that's because it feels like a restaurant.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Legroom and seat comfort in economy is some of the best in the industry in my opinion. On board only boxed foods (think a pack with chips, jerky, etc) are for sale. They do offer a free soda, etc. No live TV however you can stream hundreds of tv shows and movies to your device at no charge. Their crews are very friendly.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Objectively thinking - Alaska has more food options than you'll find on a handful of airlines.... like the 3 snack boxes. You won't find those on AA or Southwest, for example. And they're cheaper than similar boxes on Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
According to Oxford Dictionary, a frill is an unnecessary extra feature or embellishment. By this definition, Alaska has no frills. What it does have is: reliability, great customer service, baggage guarantee, and a valuable mileage program.

If you want frills, fly Delta.
The only material difference is seatback screens on most DL aircraft. AA and UA, you could end up with streaming on your own device, such as AS.
ashill likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The only material difference is seatback screens on most DL aircraft. AA and UA, you could end up with streaming on your own device, such as AS.
And if you're stuck with BOB in Y on AA, you're choices are much more limited.
formeraa likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:26 pm

No seat back entertainment. No lieflat seats in first.
Narrow Seat likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Or none at all if you end up on AA's CRJ200 Thankfully the flight was short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.