Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP upgraded to Prem then bag seized at check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

SEA-PDX 3309

I boarded at the end of group B as C was called. Gate agent insisted on checking my standard size rollerboard even though I pointed out I was 1. MVP 2. B group 3. Premium.

Flight checked in full. When I boarded the plane there was, of course, tons of empty overhead space.

Is this kosher? SOP? Arbitrary? multiple other passengers boarded after me, sitting in non premium seats, with their rollerboards.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
first, sorry that happened to you. it's dumb and immensely frustrating.

kosher? kind of like gambling: looked down upon but at the end of the day I think gate agents have discretion to do what they need to do to get flights out promptly (not defending it, I promise).

agents with cash incentive to get flights out on time means boarding anything but A could leave you high and dry, but ymmv.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
first, sorry that happened to you. it's dumb and immensely frustrating.

kosher? kind of like gambling: looked down upon but at the end of the day I think gate agents have discretion to do what they need to do to get flights out promptly (not defending it, I promise).

agents with cash incentive to get flights out on time means boarding anything but A could leave you high and dry, but ymmv.
This is intriguing. Could you expand on this?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
In my experience, gate agents have gotten significantly more pushy lately with checking carry-ons. I think my flight out of AUS last month had five announcements with completely made up numbers about how many more bags they "needed" to check.

As has been mentioned before, saying "My bag has a lithium ion battery in it" is usually enough to get them to leave you alone at the gate, especially if you are not in the last boarding group.
Bellerina and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by psychtobe
SEA-PDX 3309

I boarded at the end of group B as C was called. Gate agent insisted on checking my standard size rollerboard even though I pointed out I was 1. MVP 2. B group 3. Premium.

Flight checked in full. When I boarded the plane there was, of course, tons of empty overhead space.

Is this kosher? SOP? Arbitrary? multiple other passengers boarded after me, sitting in non premium seats, with their rollerboards.
"I can't gate check it, it has lithium-ion batteries in it that cannot be in a cargo hold."
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:20 pm

But, don't gate-checked bags usually get carried by the *passenger* to the end of the jetway, and left there by the passenger? If so, then just keep on walking onto the plane without letting go of the "gate-checked" bag?!
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
But, don't gate-checked bags usually get carried by the *passenger* to the end of the jetway, and left there by the passenger? If so, then just keep on walking onto the plane without letting go of the "gate-checked" bag?!
thought of that but with my luck i'd be the next thing to be seized by Luis

Last edited by psychtobe; Mar 13, 2024 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
E175

As flight was operated by E175, gate agent likely felt your baggage was too big for the cabin. Even standard rollerboard can be flagged if it wasn't the "right" dimension.

Jiburi
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:58 am
Original Poster

hi jiburi, if he thought that 1. he didn't say that and 2. he was wrong. I fly E175 like five times a month, this bag fits and it isn't even close.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Sounds like all airlines are getting strict about carry-ons, as noted in a recent WSJ article. The article talked about most other large domestic airlines, but no mention of Alaska. This is disheartening if it is to become a “thing” with Alaska.

On a flight a few months ago I did encounter a surly flight attendant who made an issue of me putting a rollaboard and a backpack in the overheard bin – he said one had to go under the seat in front of me. I tried to put the backpack under the seat, but I was in the aisle and it wouldn’t fit (it would fit under a window seat). So back up in the overhead bin it goes. He then tells me that I would have to unload the backpack and make it fit if the overhead bin space is needed. I was completely at a loss for words, so didn’t respond. Two nearby passengers even commented to me that they thought the FA was out of line.

Later, while other FAs were bringing the drink cart down the aisle, another passenger asked to get by to return to his seat further forward. The FA with the cart asked him to wait, but he said that the other flight attendant in the rear (same one who didn’t like my backpack) told him he couldn’t stay in the back of the plane. Clearly this FA should not be in a customer service position.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pipeliner
Sounds like all airlines are getting strict about carry-ons, as noted in a recent WSJ article. The article talked about most other large domestic airlines, but no mention of Alaska. This is disheartening if it is to become a “thing” with Alaska.

On a flight a few months ago I did encounter a surly flight attendant who made an issue of me putting a rollaboard and a backpack in the overheard bin – he said one had to go under the seat in front of me. I tried to put the backpack under the seat, but I was in the aisle and it wouldn’t fit (it would fit under a window seat). So back up in the overhead bin it goes. He then tells me that I would have to unload the backpack and make it fit if the overhead bin space is needed. I was completely at a loss for words, so didn’t respond. Two nearby passengers even commented to me that they thought the FA was out of line.

Later, while other FAs were bringing the drink cart down the aisle, another passenger asked to get by to return to his seat further forward. The FA with the cart asked him to wait, but he said that the other flight attendant in the rear (same one who didn’t like my backpack) told him he couldn’t stay in the back of the plane. Clearly this FA should not be in a customer service position.
strict:

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
adjective
  1. demanding that rules concerning behavior are obeyed and observed

I am curious what rule was I not obeying?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by psychtobe
SEA-PDX 3309

E175 aircraft... gate agents get more anxious about bags on these smaller birds
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Opposite issue from OP - I was traveling with two of my kids and wanted to gate check some carry-ons since I had maxxed out my allotment of free check-in bags. The agent looked up the flight and refused me saying there was plenty of space on the flight. It wasn't a huge deal but I didn't want to haul bags with only my kids' clothes in them through our connection city if I didn't have to. Also, I trust AS more than my teenagers to not lose the bags
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mtofell
Opposite issue from OP - I was traveling with two of my kids and wanted to gate check some carry-ons since I had maxxed out my allotment of free check-in bags. The agent looked up the flight and refused me saying there was plenty of space on the flight. It wasn't a huge deal but I didn't want to haul bags with only my kids' clothes in them through our connection city if I didn't have to. Also, I trust AS more than my teenagers to not lose the bags
You should have pulled a gentle Catherine Tate move on the gate agent: "Well, I find you impertinent!" LOL
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.