Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Not sure how practical is, and I don't know the drama/contract between mainline and regional.. (e.g. UA CRJ550 constraints)

But if AS wants to use E175 while keeping mainline pilots, would it be possible for them to dedicate a subfleet and convert to all Y configuration to increase seat capacity? I don't really think E175 need 12 first class seats for interisland service. Given the flights are only around 30min, might as well get rid of first class altogether.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by 985X
Not sure how practical is, and I don't know the drama/contract between mainline and regional.. (e.g. UA CRJ550 constraints)

But if AS wants to use E175 while keeping mainline pilots, would it be possible for them to dedicate a subfleet and convert to all Y configuration to increase seat capacity? I don't really think E175 need 12 first class seats for interisland service. Given the flights are only around 30min, might as well get rid of first class altogether.
Not sure AS would do that. One of the reasons for the demise of the Q400 was the planes lack of first class and AS wanting a consistent experience across the fleet.
buschoi and willoL like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 985X

Sure it is a short flight but people do pay for F on the inter island flights. Sometimes as a continuation of an F mainland flight and sometimes just to go between islands. And it is a nice perk for Pualani Platinums to get upgraded to F.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Agree 100%. The Circle Waikiki charged a 100% tax and also a $49/night resort fee. Waimea told me that I could not renew my membership because I’m not kaimaina. Spending my travel budget elsewhere in the future.
Kama'aina discounts, memberships and rates are a nice way to try and get local residents to buy things local and do staycations. Hawaii is very expensive and tries to include local residents by giving us a break. I personally don't accept the kama'aina discount at small local shops so the proprietors can make enough to survive. But I will take advantage of them for large corporate businesses. And I don't think people who don't live here should be included in kama'aina discounts and rates. But this is a discussion for a different thread.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
Not sure AS would do that. One of the reasons for the demise of the Q400 was the planes lack of first class and AS wanting a consistent experience across the fleet.
UA used to offer F back when it operated Q400s... it isn't an aircraft issue but rather the configuration AS selected
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by fly747first
UA used to offer F back when it operated Q400s... it isn't an aircraft issue but rather the configuration AS selected
look the main reason the Q400 was phased out was that the training and maintenance programs required were not tenable for long term. The new horizon pilots wanted jet time to go to mainline, not prop time in a complicated aircraft. It made it tough to compete for talent.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Baze
Kama'aina discounts, memberships and rates are a nice way to try and get local residents to buy things local and do staycations. Hawaii is very expensive and tries to include local residents by giving us a break. I personally don't accept the kama'aina discount at small local shops so the proprietors can make enough to survive. But I will take advantage of them for large corporate businesses. And I don't think people who don't live here should be included in kama'aina discounts and rates. But this is a discussion for a different thread.
Can go into Omni real fast. Still seems unfair that they refuse to sell an annual pass at any price to non-kama’aina. (And think identity-based (local/age/gender….) discounts anywhere can be ethically problematic.)
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
I can understand some corporate entities want to attract locals....but hawaii isnt the only jurisdiction that suffers from high cost living...in fact overall hawaii is actually cheaper to live than California. Gas is cheaper in Hawaii than California for example. Yet, we see none of the discounts here on the mainland.

The biggest issue is how a public entity treats visitors. Say DLNR with Hawaii state parks.....or any county with camping fees and parking lots. They should be bound to not be discriminatory. Yet we segregate the resident versus the non-resident. hawaii feels like its not an issue because its not about any protected class.

Imagine a Hawaiian or <insert any other tourist> vacationing in California and we started to charged twice the bridge toll on the Bay Bridge to go into SF...or banning them from crossing altogether in the peak rush AM/PM. Just because they are out of state and country.....the headlines would be quick and prevalent decrying the move. And you would get the same attitude of people not wanting to go to SF bay area. Sure Hawaii may want less tourism. But to think it will solve thier current fiscal problems...it will not....better hawaii government and value will.

I dont like charging our guests more for the same product....especially when its a simple public use item. Its making them feel less than and looked as $$$. Thats not welcoming or friendly.....and frankly not practicing Aloha either.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

The discussion has move away from AS so time to close.

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.