Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic Bag Tags Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Electronic Bag Tags Are Now Available

I signed up to be notified when electronic bag tags became available for purchase. I got that notification this morning.

I'm interested to hear if others had the same experience as me when placing an order. The site must have been overwhelmed because progression time from screen to screen was very slow (I ran a speedtest and it was normal). And when I got to the end and placed the order, it did not go through. Site suggested I try again. After eight failures, I used a different credit card (the site suggested that I do this, too). I had been using the AS B of A card and it wouldn't work - tres ironic! The transaction went through with my AMEX card.

Anyway, all is well now but has anyone else had the same experience?
samosa and Seattle123 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How much does it cost?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:07 am

Programs: Yes
AS hasn't published the new literature on release of these yet, so if someone wants to publish the URL it would benefit the AS FT'rs. 🤙🏻🍹
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K: NEXUS: Global Entry
Originally Posted by dave1013
I signed up to be notified when electronic bag tags became available for purchase. I got that notification this morning.

I'm interested to hear if others had the same experience as me when placing an order. The site must have been overwhelmed because progression time from screen to screen was very slow (I ran a speedtest and it was normal). And when I got to the end and placed the order, it did not go through. Site suggested I try again. After eight failures, I used a different credit card (the site suggested that I do this, too). I had been using the AS B of A card and it wouldn't work - tres ironic! The transaction went through with my AMEX card.

I did receive the email and took about 25 minutes to order the bag tag. Patience required! I was able to use my AS BOA credit card. Cost of tag is $79.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by anteater
AS hasn't published the new literature on release of these yet, so if someone wants to publish the URL it would benefit the AS FT'rs. 🤙🏻🍹
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...tronic-bag-tag

https://alaskaair.bagtag.com/
anteater and Seattle123 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I got mine last week when the trial ended and had first crack at getting more tags.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Any indication they’ll ship them for free to elites at some point? Seems cool but not worth $80 out of pocket when the new bag tag machines are fast enough.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K: NEXUS: Global Entry
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
Any indication they’ll ship them for free to elites at some point? Seems cool but not worth $80 out of pocket when the new bag tag machines are fast enough.
I ordered one and free shipping and no tax. Total cost $79. Will save me some time with dropping off my bag—I hope!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:04 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by dave1013

There were definitely issues right after the email dropped, but BAGTAG ramped up the servers and mitigated most of the payment issues within the first hour.
beckoa and anteater like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: Yes
Any guesses on the production cost of the tag? At $79 a tag, this seems like a potential revenue stream. 🤙🏻🥃
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Feb 26, 2024 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:43 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by anteater
Any guesses on the production cost of the tag? At $79 a tag, this seems like a potential revenue stream. 🤙🏻🥃
Definitely not a revenue stream at that price point.
dgreen12 and navydevildoc like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I am usually a tech early adopter… and not super price sensitive when it comes to gadgets. But this isn’t one I am going to get. I don’t even think it makes sense for me from an environmental perspective - it would take years of paper tags to make up for the electronics and plastic in this thing.

If all airlines could all agree on one system and then work with suitcase manufacturers to integrate them into the bag, I might be able to pay a bit more the next time I need a new bag.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
This is neat, but I don't see how it's worth $80 for me. I never spend more than a couple minutes waiting to check a bag as it is.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Phrozen
This is neat, but I don't see how it's worth $80 for me. I never spend more than a couple minutes waiting to check a bag as it is.
Only check bags when traveling with the spouse and kid. If it would help me get my”priority” bags better than LAST every time I would happily buy bag tags. Those Orange priority markers when on Alaska seems to be a marker for last bag off, ugh.
I beg my spouse to just buy hair products when we land or have them delivered so we don’t have to sit and wait for bags. Just sat for over 45 minutes this past weekend coming back from Cabo.
sea_jeff and BayAreaTrvler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.