Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic Bag Tags Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:01 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Only check bags when traveling with the spouse and kid. If it would help me get my”priority” bags better than LAST every time I would happily buy bag tags. Those Orange priority markers when on Alaska seems to be a marker for last bag off, ugh.
The other day I waited for my PDX-SAN bags to show up. The SEA-SAN bags were queued up first. I knew that flight was almost done unloading when the orange tags started showing up... dead last. Seriously -- except for the increased likelihood of BSG, this is one of the worst sorts of frequent flyer perks. I hope you use Alaska Listens every time it happens to you.

Back on topic -- I can think of a LOT of ways to use an extra $79 (or $158, since I always check a trade-show bag as well). Buying this doesn't even rise toward the top-third of the list. I just don't see the point.

Last edited by twitch76; Feb 28, 2024 at 8:37 pm
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by anteater
I wonder why AS did not keep the print at home system. I found it very useful.

Right after AS ended the print at home tag program I made a point of asking exactly that question when I checked my bags in over the course of a few trips. The most consistent answer I got systemwide was customers were not using it enough to be worth it for AS and that something new & better was coming soon.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Question about your photo: what are the green borders for? I know in the EU bags checked from one EU location to another have those markers to help customs identify bags that are coming from outside the EU and need customs processing. Is the green marker in the picture the same thing? And is it turned off when the tag is used for an AS trip, but conditionally enabled if the tag is used for, say, LH or KLM travel?
correct. When the Alaska bag tag is being used. They put black bars under the green stripes.

when from EU - the green bars are not blacked out say on LH.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They could seed the program by providing it as a gift to members at the 75k and up level.

Or they could offer 500 RDM each time you check a bag with this thing. (yes, there would be some gaming this by checking empty bags just for the 500 miles, but it would be few)

Or they could offer a free checked bag for a year for signing up for one of these tags.

Lots of ways they could make this more interesting.
i think if you use an e tag maybe add a 100eqm or something to incentivize the use of the electronic bag tags. Its materially trivial but push the needle for us chasing eqms this past month.
notquiteaff, samosa and willoL like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Qantas gives electronic bag tags away to elite members for free. AS should be doing the same thing.
John26 and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ParaFlyer
Right after AS ended the print at home tag program I made a point of asking exactly that question when I checked my bags in over the course of a few trips. The most consistent answer I got systemwide was customers were not using it enough to be worth it for AS and that something new & better was coming soon.
I used the print-at-home tags for a while, but eventually got tired of using my paper and ink. The incentive for the traveler just wasn't there, and so the uptake was small. I suspect the eInk tag will face the same fate. And the self-print bag tags were kind of bulky - I wonder why they couldnt make the self-print tags the same size as the eInk one.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:46 pm

You can put pictures and customize the display when not in use. Say your personal info.or any other pictures.
notquiteaff and willoL like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
You can put pictures and customize the display when not in use. Say your personal info.or any other pictures.
Through the BagTag app?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by rune87
Through the BagTag app?
correct
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What did you add to customize your BAGTAG? I added name, email and phone.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 1, 2024 at 8:36 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
How did you customize your BAGTAG? I added name, email and phone.
you can add photos and other pictures through the bag tag app. I just uploaded the Alaska airline logo from their media kit. And sent it to the bag tag.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I put the Navy character from Sketch's World on mine when it's blank. I also have a version of my business card ready to go, but since my luggage already has a metal tag on it with my info, I would rather have fun with it.

williwaw and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Thank you @navydevildoc
I could not get the tag to pair with the Alaska App until I downloaded and paired the tag with the bagtag app first.
edit: I sit on a throne of lies. The tag works great with the bag tag app. I can’t get it to do anything with the Alaska app.
willoL and anteater like this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 3, 2024 at 12:41 am Reason: Dark mode readability.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Thank you @navydevildoc
I could not get the tag to pair with the Alaska App until I downloaded and paired the tag with the bagtag app first.
edit: I sit on a throne of lies. The tag works great with the bag tag app. I cant get it to do anything with the Alaska app.
Make sure NFC and other permissions are granted to the Alaska app. Also make sure the option to use electronic tags are enabled in the app.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Qantas gives electronic bag tags away to elite members for free. AS should be doing the same thing.
Is there anyone here that would actually pay the $79?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.