Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Odd, you should be able to pull up all CX reservations booked via Alaska and select seats from there. I have booked a few Cathay flights over the last few months and all seats were picked directly on the Cathay website.

I would try one more time!
Just tried again, a week after I booked the 2 tickets in the same reservation:
For my (OWEmerald) seat, it says: "Online seat selection is not available. Please contact your booking agent for further assistance."
For my non-status travel companion in the same booking, it says "seat assignment will be available when online check-in opens"
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:44 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Reading the 2023 Wiki, am I understanding correctly that North America -- HKG -- DXB with a stopover in HKG is no longer allowed ?

For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG).
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just tried again, a week after I booked the 2 tickets in the same reservation:
For my (OWEmerald) seat, it says: "Online seat selection is not available. Please contact your booking agent for further assistance."
For my non-status travel companion in the same booking, it says "seat assignment will be available when online check-in opens"
I was able to call and get the available seats, even though I couldn't do anything online. Got 40AB which is a nice bulkhead on the A350. Was welcomed by 2 separate FAs as OWE, nice enough flight and worth it for 30K AS miles each for one-way HKG-ORD! HKG First Class Lounge (The Pier) was top-notch, one of the best in the world (15-min massage, fantastic food menu at the sit-down restaurant, and not very crowded).
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Seen this discussed in the past with varied perspectives, but wanted to see if there are any recent experiences with an award ticket on CX booked through Alaska that doesn't include the passenger's middle name. It didn't populate when I called up the res on the CX site. Didn't think much of it until I stumbled across old posts about the middle name issue. Never something I've worried about on other airlines, but I didn't want to inadvertently mess up my first go-round on CX ...
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiffle
Seen this discussed in the past with varied perspectives, but wanted to see if there are any recent experiences with an award ticket on CX booked through Alaska that doesn't include the passenger's middle name. It didn't populate when I called up the res on the CX site. Didn't think much of it until I stumbled across old posts about the middle name issue. Never something I've worried about on other airlines, but I didn't want to inadvertently mess up my first go-round on CX ...
Not an issue at all. AS told me the secured passenger profile has your middle name which would be transmitted to CX.
We flew CX round trip last Sept/Oct - no middle names on tickets. CX NEVER asked for it at check in.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Reading the 2023 Wiki, am I understanding correctly that North America -- HKG -- DXB with a stopover in HKG is no longer allowed ?
Rules completely changed with the new award chart (that wiki is completely outdated and should not be used) but North America - HKG DXB is not "For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG)", since, well, Australia isn't North America last I checked. It was always allowed (used it a number of times) because stopovers in HKG were allowed for NA awards.

Basically the new award chart means you should be able to get up to a two week stopover in HKG for NA--HKG-DXB or AU/NZ-HKG-DXB, AS allows an en-route stopover of that length or less in the carrier hub for any award like this. Of course you will pay some considerably higher mileage these days.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 25, 2024 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Many thanks for the response/info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.