Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Minicucci: "Many" loose bolts found in MAX 9 inspections... "I'm angry"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minicucci: "Many" loose bolts found in MAX 9 inspections... "I'm angry"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
https://www.levernews.com/airlines-f...s-737-max/amp/

This one is not much better…

“Over the last three years, operators of Boeing’s troubled 737 Max planes have filed more than 1,800 service difficulty reports — more than one per day — warning government regulators about safety problems with the aircraft since the fleet was allowed to resume flying after two fatal crashes. All but roughly 150 of the reports came from Alaska Airlines — the operator of a 737 Max plane that suffered a mid-air cabin breach over Portland, Oregon earlier this month.

Between December 2020 and September 2023, Alaska Airlines filed more than 1,230 reportsrelated to the 53 Boeing 737 Max planes it had in its fleet. For comparison, during the same period the airline filed 25 reports for its 10 Airbus A321 Neo airplanes, the main competitor to Boeing’s 737 Max.”
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:34 am

Boeing’s 737 production system is described as “a rambling, shambling, disaster waiting to happen."

"The fuselage panel that blew off an Alaska Airlines jet earlier this month was removed for repair then reinstalled improperly by Boeing mechanics on the Renton final assembly line, a person familiar with the details of the work told The Seattle Times.

If verified by the National Transportation Safety Board investigation, this would leave Boeing primarily at fault for the accident, rather than its supplier Spirit AeroSystems, which originally installed the panel into the 737 MAX 9 fuselage in Wichita, KS."
Seattle Times
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Boeing’s 737 production system is described as “a rambling, shambling, disaster waiting to happen."

Seattle Times
I think that link is broken, but probably meant to point to the same article as the post by flytoeat above yours.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ska-max-9-jet/
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk: where everyone can be an Executive VP in charge of microparsing a Fortune 500 CEO's public statements to the media (especially on a matter where litigation is possible).
Clearly AS's CEO has bungled this whole episode massively both in terms of handling flight cancelations and sticking with "proudly all Boeing" despite mounting evidence that Boeing was at fault, so can't fathom why anyone would give him a pass here.

It's especially odd how posters who admittedly don't even fly AS spend so much time here.
sullim4 and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Damning. Seattle Times headline this morning: "Boeing, not Spirit, mis-installed piece that blew off Alaska MAX 9 jet, industry source says". https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ska-max-9-jet/
spirit aero makes fuselages for both boeing and airbus...yeah i immediately thought it was a boeing problem when the news broke.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Clearly AS's CEO has bungled this whole episode massively both in terms of handling flight cancelations and sticking with "proudly all Boeing" despite mounting evidence that Boeing was at fault, so can't fathom why anyone would give him a pass here.

It's especially odd how posters who admittedly don't even fly AS spend so much time here.
I wasn't aware there was a minimum EQM allowed to participate in the AS forum, could you please alert some moderators so I can be banned and we can correct this oversight?
jakeller, flytoeat, ashill and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by zymm
I am not a lawyer so I have no idea if this is a reasonable question. Could AS potentially sue Boeing over the losses they're suffering because of what is most likely preventable issues on the Boeing side?
Yes, but it almost never gets that far. Airlines will ask for compensation from Boeing for lost business, Boeing usually says yes.

Originally Posted by Kacee
He needs to walk back "proudly all Boeing."

Pretty vague on future fleet mix:
Perhaps they should borrow some branding from General Mills for "Oops! All Boeing!"
zymm likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:34 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think that link is broken, but probably meant to point to the same article as the post by flytoeat above yours.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ska-max-9-jet/
Cool. This can finally silence the people that wrongly claimed the WiFi installers were responsible.
notquiteaff and ExpatExp like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:36 am

Boeing: No one ever talks about the bolts we did tighten.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Boeing: No one ever talks about the bolts we did tighten.

But how many were tighten and how many are loose?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
How many Boeing employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 👀
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vanillabean
How many Boeing employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 👀
None. There were a pile of them left over. Who knew a light bulb was needed to make the light work?
ExpatExp and willoL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.