Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic Beverages Served Inflight - AS Has a Limit?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcoholic Beverages Served Inflight - AS Has a Limit?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024 | 9:50 pm
Original Poster
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
30 Countries Visited40 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have never figured out why there is such strong connection between airplanes and alcohol.
Originally Posted by pampa
Anxiety.
Boredom.
Old Jan 17, 2024 | 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Boredom.
If a passenger is bored, we can be thankful that AS has yet to impose a limit on Sudoku, Wordle, or a good book.
Old Jan 17, 2024 | 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Jumbo mas
If a passenger is bored, we can be thankful that AS has yet to impose a limit on Sudoku, Wordle, or a good book.
You did mean "If a passenger is on bored"

If I'm traveling for anything but "I need to be highly functional upon arrival" or "I need to drive a car on arrival" or "the last hop after a longhaul redeye" I'm going to partake, starting in the lounge and continuing on board. Typical shorter hop will have 2 adult beverages, longer hops, just depends. When the wine glass keeps getting topped off (or when they use a tumbler), who can count? It's not like AS has 8 bottles of Dom to consume on the flight. Eventually the acid reflux will kick in from pretty much everything in that cart. And that, my friends, is a sign to stop

The simple fact is that some (most) crew know how to judge their passengers and want everyone to have a nice and relaxing time, and other (few) crew act like they just left the Women's Christian Temperance Union meeting.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024 | 10:54 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

One Single Drink Per Hour Seems to be Current Rule

Took a Transcon flight, PDX to MIA last week in Premium, was chatting with the F/As in the galley and they said that the suggested maximum service is a double first cart service, then a single midway when Premium gets the mid-flight service, then a double again the second cart, equalling 5 total or approximately 1 per hour. They did refuse a double during the mid-flight service to a couple in a nearby Premium row, saying they could get a double during last cart service. Seems reasonable to me, one drink per hour.
Old Jan 17, 2024 | 10:58 pm
10 Countries Visited

Programs: AS MVP Gold75
Those Old Fashions are superb. An FA gave me a 3rd while in F for my BIL's pleasure.

He pronounced quite tasty and packing a punch.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024 | 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Or for FAs, People magazine.
Old Jan 18, 2024 | 12:12 am
10 Countries Visited

Programs: AS 75K
Boredom.
Everyone has their own reasons but for me this is 100% it. Raising four kids, so much of my life has been spent running around, never being able to sit still. They tell me I MUST sit still and they'll bring me drinks? Yep... I'm in. I get bored just sitting around and the alcohol is a distraction of sorts.
Eastbay1K and pmblinn like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024 | 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Moderator Note

A few off-topic posts (British Airways) have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
AKCuisine likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024 | 2:18 pm
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Boredom.
Or if seated in First/Premium.its free.
Old Jan 27, 2024 | 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jhawk737
Took a Transcon flight, PDX to MIA last week in Premium, was chatting with the F/As in the galley and they said that the suggested maximum service is a double first cart service, then a single midway when Premium gets the mid-flight service, then a double again the second cart, equalling 5 total or approximately 1 per hour. They did refuse a double during the mid-flight service to a couple in a nearby Premium row, saying they could get a double during last cart service. Seems reasonable to me, one drink per hour.
This gels with what I saw last night in F on a JFK-SEA flight. Drink 1 was prompt, drink 2 came shortly after, but then the attendant brought a tray of waters around and told someone they could have drink 3 after dinner. More drinks were eventually served, but often with a water as well. Didn't notice any short pouring either, just moderation in tempo, which is fine by me.
Old Jan 27, 2024 | 1:39 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 100K (OW), SK Silver (ST), UA (*A), UR, MR
I overheard a conversation between an F passenger and a FA about AS' limit on alcoholic beverages (confirmed by a second FA). It was news to me that said limit is five (5) alcoholic drinks on "long" flights and two (2) on "short" flights.
I might as well schedule an ambulance to the nearest emergency room for a stomach pump session following my upcoming mileage run of 4x5 + 2x2 = 24 drinks. 👀
Old Jan 27, 2024 | 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I might as well schedule an ambulance to the nearest emergency room for a stomach pump session following my upcoming mileage run of 4x5 + 2x2 = 24 drinks. 👀
Fear not, in only four months the fresh local cherries will cure all the organs that the MRs will cause to ail you.
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 9:02 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
My record for one flight is 12 drinks or so (lost count ..lol)....seating in premium (6a i believe) It was LAX-FLL...

but...

wait for it...

I only actually drank three of those drinks and the other 9 unopened minibottles of woodford went into the bag lol.

Also had a FA once give me a plastic bag of about 8 woodfords as we were landing in Kona.. Said go enjoy these on the beach
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 2:17 pm
10 Countries Visited

Programs: AS MVP Gold75
Originally Posted by skier464
...I only actually drank three of those drinks and the other 9 unopened minibottles of woodford went into the bag lol...
So you are the SOB who wrecked it for all of us! Woodford is no longer served

Buffalo Trace is the replacement - not bad. Scotch of course is ALWAYS on hand.
Old Jan 29, 2024 | 7:30 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Originally Posted by blue bear
So you are the SOB who wrecked it for all of us! Woodford is no longer served

Buffalo Trace is the replacement - not bad. Scotch of course is ALWAYS on hand.
LOL... this was like 8 years ago... so can't claim that victory. I do still have a fair amount of these in a bin.. mixed in with some buffalo trace these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.