Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alcoholic Beverages Served Inflight - AS Has a Limit?!

Alcoholic Beverages Served Inflight - AS Has a Limit?!

Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
For the odd timesÖ.im in premium. I have requested doubles for wines. Being 100K. Never an issueÖ.when I only ask for one. They usually give me two and say. Just to make sure you are doing ok in between services.

in F. Never seen denied service. However. Even on long haul Hawaii flights. I never have more than 3 drinks. One awaiting mealÖ.refill during meal. And one maybe mid flight. Always red wine or pog/orange juice mimosa.
I donít drink too often, but I have sat next to people who have probably had too much. Iíve mainly only seen it in first class though. In premium and coach, Iíve seen limitations put on some other flyers. On a transcon last week in row 10, the middle seat next to me ordered double vodkas three times, but was not able to order it a fourth time (I feel greedy just asking for two cans of coke, because Iím not sure how much they actually have with inventory on board).

I have always thought it was just one free premium drink for 75Ks/100Ks when not sitting in first, but Iím sure Iím wrong on that. I did have an instance on a transcon in first pre-COVID where I asked for a coke with whiskey on the side once, and the flight attendant filled the whiskey up three more times without me asking until I said I didnít want anymore.

I also feel like I use to see the flight attendants unscrew the caps on the mini alcohol bottles before handing them to a passenger, but I have not noticed them doing that this year (that also may have been a pre-COVID thing).
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist
I donít drink too often, but I have sat next to people who have probably had too much. Iíve mainly only seen it in first class though. In premium and coach, Iíve seen limitations put on some other flyers. On a transcon last week in row 10, the middle seat next to me ordered double vodkas three times, but was not able to order it a fourth time (I feel greedy just asking for two cans of coke, because Iím not sure how much they actually have with inventory on board).

I have always thought it was just one free premium drink for 75Ks/100Ks when not sitting in first, but Iím sure Iím wrong on that. I did have an instance on a transcon in first pre-COVID where I asked for a coke with whiskey on the side once, and the flight attendant filled the whiskey up three more times without me asking until I said I didnít want anymore.

I also feel like I use to see the flight attendants unscrew the caps on the mini alcohol bottles before handing them to a passenger, but I have not noticed them doing that this year (that also may have been a pre-COVID thing).
It is officially one free drink for 75Ks at least if in Economy but row 10 is PC so unlimited for everyone regardless of status. However, I have received a second wine for free while sitting in the exit row on a couple of occasions. As far as opening the caps as far as I can tell that is up to the FAs and whatever they want to do. I havenít really noticed any pattern to receiving them already mixed or with the bottle(s) either unsealed or sealed, although pre-mixed is much less frequent when not in F.
lensovet likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I overheard a conversation between an F passenger and a FA about AS' limit on alcoholic beverages (confirmed by a second FA). It was news to me that said limit is five (5) alcoholic drinks on "long" flights and two (2) on "short" flights.

I fly midcons and LAX/SFO to PDX/SEA. I've never experienced or observed a limit, but I'm a two- or three-drink guy anymore. Four if I'm feeling really bold.

I'm curious if this really is a policy and if others have bumped up against it.
Official policy -

One drink per cart, which can be a double. One drink in between carts (either by ringing your call light or visiting the galley), but only a single. The pre-mixed cocktails (Old Fashioned and Margarita) are limited to one per cart.
First Class is at FA's discretion based on one's behavior being careful to not over serve.
As with everything, some FA's are being very strict about the policy set by management, others not as much.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Jan 16, 2024 at 7:49 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I've never seen an imposed limit in-flight in FC, even when I can smell the fumes coming off a passenger next to me after they had 3 or more. I have been told in the AS lounge at SEA when ordering a second beer that "that's the last one, OK?" after the bartender asked where I was flying to, SAN in that case. Admittedly, I drank the first beer relatively quickly, but still thought it odd.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by scrumbum
I've never seen an imposed limit in-flight in FC, even when I can smell the fumes coming off a passenger next to me after they had 3 or more. I have been told in the AS lounge at SEA when ordering a second beer that "that's the last one, OK?" after the bartender asked where I was flying to, SAN in that case. Admittedly, I drank the first beer relatively quickly, but still thought it odd.
AS BR once had a "3 drink limit". That has been sunset, but they can still refuse service.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by scrumbum
Alaska has become my favourite US Airline. This was not hard to achieve given how low American have sunk but even so I have never had anything but polite and friendly service from the cabin crew. I say this because whilst I do not drink like a fish (quite) I enjoy a couple of G&Ts and maybe some wine if there is a meal. I have not experienced any hesitation in getting drinks pleasantly and politely. That said, I do dislike people imposing their morality norms upon me and your barman is a case in point. If he had asked me to where I was flying. I would have asked him if he intended to come with me. Had he insisted and had he told me that my G&T "was my last OK" I would have inquired whether he was afraid that I would dance upon the tables. How dare he when I am not even fractionally inebriated!

I would add that this conversation was had over at BA Forum and I do think that this is a judgemental call as I think that crew and whoever are not supposed to serve anyone who appears drunk. The barman would not have witnessed me dancing on a table as neither the table legs nor my legs are capable these days..
pWei and pmblinn like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Overheard in F on a PHX-ANC direct at the end of last year that the canned cocktails have a serve limit of two, but the FA did allow one more due to the flight still having over 2.5 hours left.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cragAK
Overheard in F on a PHX-ANC direct at the end of last year that the canned cocktails have a serve limit of two, but the FA did allow one more due to the flight still having over 2.5 hours left.
Those things are crazy strong... especially the Old-Fashioned @ 80 proof. That's over 3oz. of the equivalent of straight standard strength whiskey (or two "airline" bottles). The Margarita is a bit less potent at 50 proof. It doesn't surprise me they have a limit.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I had an FA cut off the entire cabin last spring while flying Hawaii-PDX about 2.5 hours into the flight. Long story short, I called out the FA for making up the policy, as did others, and she was then overheard in the galley telling a Y FA that she was worried about being written up by the passengers, to which he replied, "Just say they were all really drunk and you'll be fine." I'm not sure why they don't think I'd hear that sitting 5 feet away... There's more to the story, but it ended with me writing in and receiving an apologetic call from customer care in Seattle.

The only other time I've seen it enforced was on an individual when someone kept ordering doubles and was cut off (they were becoming obnoxious).

I have seen a dramatic increase in FAs slacking off the last few hours of service on long flights. I'm wondering if this is to intentionally avoid offering refills to avoid having to enforce a limit.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I'm wondering if this is to intentionally avoid offering refills to avoid having to enforce a limit.
I have a part time bartending job here on Maui doing wedding events and cutting people off is the absolute last thing I want to do. I'm sure some power hungry FAs, bartenders, etc. get off on the power trip but that's not me.... I hate ruining an event that is someone's special day and that people paid A LOT of money for. In FC where the FAs mix the drinks behind the scenes their best weapon is to just short pour the drinks. I do that a lot when I see people starting to get out of control. Another trick is to only put liquor in the straw so their first sip is strong and then they forget all about it. The problem people are super easy to spot... the whole ordering doubles thing at an open bar that is five steps away is a big sign... same in FC. Fwiw, more often than not in FC they give me two at a time anyway. I just had a guy last weekend ordering double Bacardi/Coke. He sucked down three in about half an hour and I could see him start to go. Gave him about 1/4 shot from there on out and he had no idea.
dgreen12, sullim4, willoL and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
About a year and a half ago I had a power hungry FA deny me any alcohol whatsoever while sitting in an exit row (while the other side of the exit row had drinks), citing an AS policy that alcohol canít be served in exit rows. Unfortunately for her I know multiple people who work at AS who confirmed she was lying through her teeth. The FlyerTalk Morality Brigade immediately assumed I boarded drunk, which was false, but the whole thing was just odd. Doubly awkward when she actually checked her tablet and figured out Iím a MM and 100K. The chocolate was then distributed quite brusquely. It was one of the strangest interactions Iíve ever had with someone at AS.

I would think it would be hard to overserve passengers in Y. They make at most three passes with the cart (and thatís on a transcon-length flight). The bigger issue is not knowing how much people had at the airport bar prior to boarding. First Class is tougher but a good flight attendant knows how to slow roll somebody if needed.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
I would think it would be hard to overserve passengers in Y.
Some FAs are willing to go the distance! A few weeks ago I was in PC on a long flight and got one of the canned margaritas, and when the person next to me got a pair of some other boozy thing I asked if I could make mine a double too and I got handed two more, total three from one drink service.

That was nothing compared to the time I was in 1D on another long flight (BOS-SEA) and the white wine of the day was iirc a quite nice Chardonnay. With the galley right there my glass never got below half and I was... very very mellow by Minnesota or so. (I did shut it down towards the end of the flight, even without needing to drive I prefer to be able to walk in a straight line!)
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:20 pm

I have never figured out why there is such strong connection between airplanes and alcohol.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have never figured out why there is such strong connection between airplanes and alcohol.
Anxiety.
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by pampa
Anxiety.
Your point is well taken (my spouse is an example), but I doubt that applies to everyone on this thread who is concerned about serving limits. Just my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.