Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Announces Porter Airlines (PD) As 30th Global Airline Partner (12/13/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Announces Porter Airlines (PD) As 30th Global Airline Partner (12/13/2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I always wondered why they didn't. One can only hope that they've studied this repeatedly and the conditions were never right. Because of course it would be interesting (if not great) for another player to enter the Canadian-American transborder market.
I know the costs of operating in Canada are very high...in fact the most expensive place to land an aircraft is YYZ (LHR is even cheaper). However, given the model....Southwest could really do well with bargain shoppers that are Canadians. Southwest would just need to come in with thier known American model/brand....dont pull a Target.

Although WS/AC/UA would litigate the hell out of Southwest in the process .....
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I know the costs of operating in Canada are very high...in fact the most expensive place to land an aircraft is YYZ (LHR is even cheaper). However, given the model....Southwest could really do well with bargain shoppers that are Canadians. Southwest would just need to come in with thier known American model/brand....dont pull a Target.

Litigate what?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: Nectar Card

Ah yes, I seem to recall reading how very protectionist the Canadian aviation market is for a developed western economy, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of that is due to how aggressive AC is in throwing up obstacles. Sound a little like what I've read about how LH engages its home market.

One nit to pick: I contend that Southwest is no longer the bargain airline that it once was. It's sometimes much more expensive than competitors, probably due to market consolidation amongst other things. I think they very much still have an appeal for a substantial portion of the flying populace (free bags, hospitable customer service compared to AC), but actually good prices may no longer be one of them. (I welcome other opinions.)
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Ah yes, I seem to recall reading how very protectionist the Canadian aviation market is for a developed western economy, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of that is due to how aggressive AC is in throwing up obstacles. Sound a little like what I've read about how LH engages its home market.

One nit to pick: I contend that Southwest is no longer the bargain airline that it once was. It's sometimes much more expensive than competitors, probably due to market consolidation amongst other things. I think they very much still have an appeal for a substantial portion of the flying populace (free bags, hospitable customer service compared to AC), but actually good prices may no longer be one of them. (I welcome other opinions.)
Just remember when VX tried YYZ. AC threw a ton of service on the route and drove prices down. They even contended and helped relitigate that VX wasnt a "US carrier" in front of the Canadian government.

PD has faced a lot of adversity....especially when AC abandoned YTZ and PD set up shop....grew YOW and have become quite a player in the eastern Canada business routes. YTZ is very convenient....even AC tried to litigate to restrict YTZ and helped the neighbors with legal bills.....now that PD is truly going out west....AS is now involved and so glad they are. Id love to see AS metal in YYZ and YUL.

Southwest is frequently more expensive but not any diferent than others....but all things equal...WN has better leg room in Y overall and the same in flight service in Y than others....so free bags and no change fees...for the non-status person....a very nice choice.....

WN will want gate and counter space at Canadian airports...thats were AC will litigate and try at every turn to refuse space for Southwest.....but Southwest does have the war chest if they do make Canada a priority.....
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:29 pm

PD always knew they needed to move from YTZ if they wanted to be a true player......but they need to grow in other markets to find themselves a niche....YOW has been it in the east outside of Toronto....but they need to be relevant in toronto....its just pure economics....in fact with so many wanting to dump AC .... PD just needs to continue what they are doing with good service and Canadians do love free booze.....and have the network to compete against AC and WS. With them joining with AS and B6....i think they are now providing that network to canadians....they just need to be more solid to Europe...say with OW and BA.....
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:18 pm

Trying to buy a PD fare on AS site and the language it has is SUPER vague. The main says "it may not be refundable". So is it or not? the fare rules details do not specify it either. Because it is a main, on AS own metal and stock it would always be able to be converted back to the wallet, even if it cannot be refunded back to original form of payment, but for PD flights? Has anyone booked those partner flights that are available on AS these days? Seemed to be a new development not super well integrated with AS system, kinda like, well, everything AS has been trying to integrate in the past...5 years?
EDIT: ok made a booking and called just for the DP. It seems like it is fully cancellable until 1hr before departure and the ticket value will go back to the wallet as a credit for future use. When purchasing, you can opt to buy up for fully refundable fare and get refund to cc, but any partner flight directly sold on AS ticket defaults to main cabin, and just like all AS flights, can be cancelled for a travel credit. However, any change/cancel has to be done by chat or phone call.

Last edited by beyounged; Jan 6, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
Trying to buy a PD fare on AS site and the language it has is SUPER vague. The main says "it may not be refundable". So is it or not? the fare rules details do not specify it either. Because it is a main, on AS own metal and stock it would always be able to be converted back to the wallet, even if it cannot be refunded back to original form of payment, but for PD flights? Has anyone booked those partner flights that are available on AS these days? Seemed to be a new development not super well integrated with AS system, kinda like, well, everything AS has been trying to integrate in the past...5 years?
EDIT: ok made a booking and called just for the DP. It seems like it is fully cancellable until 1hr before departure and the ticket value will go back to the wallet as a credit for future use. When purchasing, you can opt to buy up for fully refundable fare and get refund to cc, but any partner flight directly sold on AS ticket defaults to main cabin, and just like all AS flights, can be cancelled for a travel credit. However, any change/cancel has to be done by chat or phone call.
I called in today regarding a PD ticket to YYZ from SFO for March booked through AS site.

They confirmed....no change fees or cancellation fees on Porter tickets booked through alaska. I did mention the language is vague and she said (this was an international partner desk agent) that she will bring my questions up the flag pole. This also is in regards to any baggage fee waivers for PD...but suspect this will just be nothing...similar to SQ and UP as Alaska is acting as a travel agent...not a codeshare partner.

They do need to process the cancelation manually back to your my wallet.

Generally all fares map into the "Classic" fare with Porter. Therefore, you need to pay for seat assignments and baggage. At least if you book and change with Alaska, you are exempt from the draconian change and cancel fees that Canada is notorious for. ALWAYS book through alaska for USA >> Canada >> USA segments just for the flexibility and additional mileage earning. Pretty decent deal. You cannot book domestic trips on PD through AS. You cannot add your VIPorter number to AS booked trips and vice versa. VIPorter earning doesnt apply to general alaska flights and vice versa. Therefore, unless your making a domestic connection...you cannot earn AS mileage for PD tickets within Canada (hopefully that will change soon).
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:26 pm

I called in today regarding a PD ticket to YYZ from SFO for March booked through AS site.

They confirmed....no change fees or cancellation fees on Porter tickets booked through alaska. I did mention the language is vague and she said (this was an international partner desk agent) that she will bring my questions up the flag pole. This also is in regards to any baggage fee waivers for PD...but suspect this will just be nothing...similar to SQ and UP as Alaska is acting as a travel agent...not a codeshare partner.

They do need to process the cancelation manually back to your my wallet.

Generally all fares map into the "Classic" fare with Porter. Therefore, you need to pay for seat assignments and baggage. At least if you book and change with Alaska, you are exempt from the draconian change and cancel fees that Canada is notorious for. ALWAYS book through alaska for USA >> Canada >> USA segments just for the flexibility and additional mileage earning. Pretty decent deal. You cannot book domestic trips on PD through AS. You cannot add your VIPorter number to AS booked trips and vice versa. VIPorter earning doesnt apply to general alaska flights and vice versa. Therefore, unless your making a domestic connection...you cannot earn AS mileage for PD tickets within Canada (hopefully that will change soon).
Sadly today I have to report that as of now, AS has no idea how to deal with these tickets. I want to change my PD flight to a different day. Exact same flights, normally doable in 15 seconds on AS site. Waited 1.5hr on the priority line, then first agent who sounded like she had as much passion in work as a cat has in the geopolitics of Western Africa answered my call, just to put me on hold for 30 minutes and unable to process a change. She then transferred me to an "international agent" who also could not do it, and after nearly 3 hours of calling I just asked her to give my funds back to the wallet and I will just book the new flight myself. Another 10 minutes later she came back to me and said she could not issue the funds to my wallet, and has instead cancelled my ticket and asked the accounting department to give the money to my wallet, which will be completed in 7 business days. So it is not easy at all, so beware if you are booking other carriers' tickets on AS site, it may be less like their own tickets, but more like booking via small, inexperienced OTA's such as Kiwi or eDreams.
Also btw, now after a solid 3 hours, I still have not received any cancellation comfirmation in my email, and my flights in the account are just gone. I am starting to worry that the stellar IT with AS's new approach to becoming an OTA will spell disaster for my money.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:38 pm

Sadly today I have to report that as of now, AS has no idea how to deal with these tickets. I want to change my PD flight to a different day. Exact same flights, normally doable in 15 seconds on AS site. Waited 1.5hr on the priority line, then first agent who sounded like she had as much passion in work as a cat has in the geopolitics of Western Africa answered my call, just to put me on hold for 30 minutes and unable to process a change. She then transferred me to an "international agent" who also could not do it, and after nearly 3 hours of calling I just asked her to give my funds back to the wallet and I will just book the new flight myself. Another 10 minutes later she came back to me and said she could not issue the funds to my wallet, and has instead cancelled my ticket and asked the accounting department to give the money to my wallet, which will be completed in 7 business days. So it is not easy at all, so beware if you are booking other carriers' tickets on AS site, it may be less like their own tickets, but more like booking via small, inexperienced OTA's such as Kiwi or eDreams.
Also btw, now after a solid 3 hours, I still have not received any cancellation comfirmation in my email, and my flights in the account are just gone. I am starting to worry that the stellar IT with AS's new approach to becoming an OTA will spell disaster for my money.
My call was about 20 minutes and followed the same route ....couldnt change it and had to process manually.

I do understand its a pain. but i just rebooked online with other wallet funds for the cheaper fare.

I hope this is a temporary thing and they work it out when they start allowing miles redemption on PD. I certainly have said my peice on the issues they need to address.

I think AS is a little better than those random OTAs.....id say thier customer service is better than expedia.....

Give it a little time....it should get better.

I also let them know about the website "pucks" for the destination needs to be updated for Canada. Niagara falls is used for YYZ (Toronto) and YOW (Ottawa). There are two very iconic pictures they should use instead (CN towern and Canadian parliament buildings) Not to mention the falls is a 7 hour drive from Ottawa!

Alaska dont pull a target!
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
I booked a few flights a couple of weeks ago and saw the price go down today. No changes or cancellation allowed online. Text chat agent said she couldn't make changes and canceled for me to rebook.

Really good deal right now, seeing lots of dates SFO-YYZ is $117 and YYZ-SFO is $141 through June (can find only with new search UI)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:16 am

Same thing happened to me, but it worked out. Somehow, cancellation emails never come when agents have to process the cancellation. (I don't know if this is all cancellations they do, or only some. Either way they rarely or never seem to know how to send an email.) Anyways, take solace in knowing that the flight is correctly canceled and your credit will probably come in a week.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:44 pm

Same thing happened to me, but it worked out. Somehow, cancellation emails never come when agents have to process the cancellation. (I don't know if this is all cancellations they do, or only some. Either way they rarely or never seem to know how to send an email.) Anyways, take solace in knowing that the flight is correctly canceled and your credit will probably come in a week.
Yeah you are right. The credit cert arrived this morning, and I am able to book another flight using the cert. Sadly, this means all PD changes/cancellations will be around 2-3 days of turnaround. Hopefully sometime soon we can get it rolled out for easier changes as AS seems like they are going on the path of allowing you to book all partners via them.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:14 pm

Yeah you are right. The credit cert arrived this morning, and I am able to book another flight using the cert. Sadly, this means all PD changes/cancellations will be around 2-3 days of turnaround. Hopefully sometime soon we can get it rolled out for easier changes as AS seems like they are going on the path of allowing you to book all partners via them.
Sometimes it's more than that.

But yes, hopefully Alaska has increasingly IT integration for its partner bookings.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:46 pm
Git

Programs: AC 35K, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone one know when miles redemptions will begin for PD flights?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Git
Anyone one know when miles redemptions will begin for PD flights?
It just says "in 2024"....given the other issues that need immediate attention....i think it will be later half of 2024.

Still a good earning partner and option over AC! Good riddance to not being beholden to AC anymore!

If you book your transborder flights with AS on PD...you get free cancelation and changes (to credit certificate).

Last edited by isaacchambers; Jan 22, 2024 at 2:06 pm Reason: freudian slip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.