Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Announces Porter Airlines (PD) As 30th Global Airline Partner (12/13/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Finally, an official announcement.

Alaska Airlines announces our 30th global airline partner, Porter Airlines - Alaska Airlines News

For now, miles are only earned if purchased on the AS site, but earning regardless of seller and redemptions coming in 2024.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 13, 2023 at 8:31 am Reason: Edit title and add link.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Porter’s San Francisco-Toronto service will launch the following week on Jan. 25. Porter is now selling flights with Alaska connections on its website.
OOooOooOoOOOoooOOOO as someone who lives in SF and has family in Toronto, this is going to be super exciting for me .... hopefully the fares will be "reasonable"
Old Dec 13, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
This would be great if it results in a direct flight from sea-yyz on Alaska or Porter. Not going to hold my breath on that, though.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:57 am
Git

Programs: AC 35K, Hyatt Globalist
Great news for us Canadians.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Annoyingly the one time I need to fly YYZ-SFO is a week *before* this service starts.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Now I have a reason to avoid the typically extortionate pricing that AC charges on LAX-YYZ. I’ll take this as a nice Christmas present from AS!
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I said this on another thread, but I think this is a really nice win for AS. The E2s are great planes, Porter's service is really good, and it extends coverage into Eastern Canada without needing to get on AA.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
SFO-YYZ without touching AC AND crediting to AS would be a dream come true for me!
But schedule-wise SFO/1450 - YYZ/2236 & YYZ/1030 - SFO/1322 (source) definitely works much better for folks based on the YYZ side, so I'm happy for them.
Da_Master likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
This would be great if it results in a direct flight from sea-yyz on Alaska or Porter. Not going to hold my breath on that, though.
Porter breifly had SEA and PDX on their route map a few days ago, so I suspect these are comming.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:56 pm

To add, Seattle has been shown as a future destination since they got the E2s https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/abou...er-and-embraer

They have a lot of aircraft coming and need to send them somewhere. As Aliquot mentioned, SEA, PDX (as well as SJC, SAN and PHX) showed briefly on PD's website last week.

Any time they're about to announce something, it'll show on the website prior to the official announcement and then usually get pulled. It's been the case with all of their route announcements so far.
psychtobe, beckoa and Da_Master like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
I said this on another thread, but I think this is a really nice win for AS. The E2s are great planes, Porter's service is really good, and it extends coverage into Eastern Canada without needing to get on AA.
As long as I can get decent seats and free checked baggage as an AS elite, this would work for me but if Porter is going to nickel and dime me for "extras", I will stick with an extra connection (or two) on AA. Also, would AS Lounge members still get admitted in LAX or SFO given the fact that next year they are requiring an AS or other OW boarding pass for entry? I don't see Porter becoming a OW partner anytime soon.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oneworld?

I can see Oneworld being pretty desperate to have a partner covering Canada so I’m hoping Porter will be it. Their rapid expansion worries me though….it takes time to develop routes and during that time they will bleed cash.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
As long as I can get decent seats and free checked baggage as an AS elite, this would work for me but if Porter is going to nickel and dime me for "extras", I will stick with an extra connection (or two) on AA. Also, would AS Lounge members still get admitted in LAX or SFO given the fact that next year they are requiring an AS or other OW boarding pass for entry? I don't see Porter becoming a OW partner anytime soon.
I wouldn't expect elite treatment on Porter. They use an ULCC model for the ticket, baggage, and seating, but after that the service is actually quite excellent on board. It's an interesting contrast to carriers like Flair, Air Transat, etc. Free (fast!) wifi, two snack basket passes on a transcon, free alcohol, 2x across seating... there is a lot to like about the in flight experience. It's akin to an AS premium economy experience for the entire cabin, aside from legroom (which you have to pay for).

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I can see Oneworld being pretty desperate to have a partner covering Canada so I’m hoping Porter will be it. Their rapid expansion worries me though….it takes time to develop routes and during that time they will bleed cash.
I agree with you on the rapid expansion. I get this feeling that they are one major IRROPS event away from melting down and creating a lot of ill will. They don't have a lot of alternatives or redundancy in their route map.

I could see them trying to get into OneWorld eventually, but I think they'd have to abandon their pricing model and adopt something more conventional.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:17 pm

This is great news. I need to fly to St. John's next fall so hopefully I can do SEA-YYZ-YYT on Porter by then!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sullim4
I wouldn't expect elite treatment on Porter. They use an ULCC model for the ticket, baggage, and seating, but after that the service is actually quite excellent on board.
HMMMM doesn't Air Canada do the same for ticket, baggage, and seating on its standard fares? Porter has an excellent operational performance, nothing like the endless cancellations and delays of the true Canadian ULCCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.