Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Terminal 7 - still busted?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

JFK Terminal 7 - still busted?

The last few times we've flown from JFK (return leg) we've found the security situation in Terminal 7 to be truly frustrating. The RUDEST TSA people I have *ever* seen in all my flying. They literally caused my partner to almost have tears. Now every time we've been there we see Clear kiosks off to the side and no real pre-check option. But given that it's been a minute since we last flew Alaska out of JFK - has there been any improvement? Maybe they have a real Pre-Check setup and Clear is working? Or is the the same old same old? It's bad enough that we might pay $800 each more to fly Jet Blue Mint to avoid it. And that's no lounge even.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Flew out of JFK Terminal 7 yesterday...the TSA agent at the entry point was rude. I simply asked if there was a specific TSA pre-check lane...she yelled "get in line"...

Last edited by HenryE1005; Dec 10, 2023 at 8:19 pm Reason: Added "pre-check"
Old Dec 10, 2023, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so it's the same old same old. Why does Alaska not do something? I mean if it's going to cause them revenue loss...we're considering flying Jet Blue just to avoid.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
File a complaint with the TSA and copy AS?

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

I bet if every AS traveler experiencing TSA rudeness at JFK was contacting AS about it, they might eventually get in touch with someone at the airport or agency.

If you end up flying B6 or another airline when AS was otherwise your preferred choice, send the ticket receipt to AS and tell them why you booked away from them.
OO-SLC-CR9 and anteater like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

We’ve filled out TSA complaint forms which are clearly useless. And Alaska doesn’t seem to care that we’re flying B6 to avoid the situation. They say to talk to the TSA.

Last edited by JakiChan; Dec 10, 2023 at 9:14 pm Reason: Extra I’m
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:17 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You do know that TSA agents are not assigned specific terminals right?

Heading over to T5 or really any checkpoints at JFK you are going to find more of the same.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If your boarding pass has TSA Pre, you will be directed to the middle lane at the initial security check-in area.

CLEAR has not been active for some time now, shortly after United left JFK (again). UA was paying the bills.

My feelings on TSA agents notwithstanding, T7 is the easiest terminal getting in and out of JFK.

Originally Posted by JakiChan
We’ve filled out TSA complaint forms which are clearly useless. And Alaska doesn’t seem to care that we’re flying B6 to avoid the situation. They say to talk to the TSA.
Correct on Alaska. This is a TSA matter. Alaska has no control of TSA.
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
T7 hasn't had clear in a long time. I find the T7 TSOs to be perfectly friendly. As the "forgotten terminal" (as I like to call it), they are under-staffed and under-resourced compared to other terminals.

-J.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
where is AS going to move to when they demolish T7? T4 perhaps?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by bbmatt
where is AS going to move to when they demolish T7? T4 perhaps?
T8 with AA and other OW carriers

-J.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
T8 with AA and other OW carriers

-J.
That been officially announced yet?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That been officially announced yet?
Don't know. I was told this by a couple of gate agents and I thought I read it somewhere as well.

-J.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
You do know that TSA agents are not assigned specific terminals right?

Heading over to T5 or really any checkpoints at JFK you are going to find more of the same.
This wasn't our experience. Terminal 4 TSA staff were friendly and helpful earlier the day were were there.

Maybe they could add signage indicating TSA-lite is available through the main entry point for us infrequent JFK travellers.

The officer appeared surly and irritated when asked where it was. Unfortunately this poor service issue isn't only a JFK issue.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I suggest the OP fly through EWR. Once you have experienced EWR TSA experience you will not complain about JFK again.
Repooc17 and bbmatt like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HenryE1005
This wasn't our experience. Terminal 4 TSA staff were friendly and helpful earlier the day were were there.

Maybe they could add signage indicating TSA-lite is available through the main entry point for us infrequent JFK travellers.

The officer appeared surly and irritated when asked where it was. Unfortunately this poor service issue isn't only a JFK issue.
TSA staff shouldn't be directing you to the line. At T7 specifically, the staff who direct you to the correct line are Prosegur private security personnel. It has been this way at T7 since at least 2020 when I first started flying AS. Occasionally they do offer full pre-check but as I mentioned upthread T7 is under-resourced so they often cannot.

IME T4 is literally the worst. The TSOs are nice but the line is so slow. Pre-check is extra slow because you have CLEAR users skipping the line every few minutes.

-J.
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.