Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA - JFK | Alaska vs Delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

SEA - JFK | Alaska vs Delta

I’m MVP Gold with Alaska, Silver Medallion with Delta. Got both since Amazon gives fast track promos for their employees but I don’t actually fly that much compared to many people here.

Both are similar pricing, Delta departs 11:15 am and lands at 7:48 pm, Alaska departs 07:36 am and lands at 3:59 pm. Delta also has a flight that departs 07:20 am but is $35 more than the other two.

SL has good exit seats open, while Alaska has the premium economy seats open. Both would be free with my status.

A321Neo on Delta vs Boeing 737-900 Next Generation with Alaska

All would be booked in economy with possibility of upgrade to first or comfort plus/premium depending on space availability

Curious what you guys suggest?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
With regard to Premium Class for MVP Gold, I think it's only available at booking if you're paying for one of the higher fare classes otherwise you have to wait until your elite upgrade window opens. You'll likely get more miles if booking AS since they have the traditional mileage program. I've heard the JFK routes are relatively easy upgrades on AS although SEA will always be a challenge for MVP Golds...I would route via PDX or SFO would dramatically increase your upgrade chances and boost your EQMs/RDMs.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
With regard to Premium Class for MVP Gold, I think it's only available at booking if you're paying for one of the higher fare classes otherwise you have to wait until your elite upgrade window opens. You'll likely get more miles if booking AS since they have the traditional mileage program. I've heard the JFK routes are relatively easy upgrades on AS although SEA will always be a challenge for MVP Golds...I would route via PDX or SFO would dramatically increase your upgrade chances and boost your EQMs/RDMs.
I’m not sure but premium class has a $0 up charge so maybe it’s because I’m booking last minute. Ticket costs $430 one way.

I checked and flying through PDX or SFO is a lot less convenient and less flight options and more expensive. I have future plans to visit SF so I’ll get those segments in naturally
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: Lots
Depends what your priorities are. As PDXPremier mentions mileage opportunities are better on AS, although not clear if you’ll be flying enough where that will really make a difference. Seat comfort is at worst a wash, but may have a slight edge to AS. I’m 6’5” and can tolerate Premium on AS whereas Comfort + on DL (or sometimes even First) can feel tight, especially if the person in front reclines. Crew is always a wildcard but in my experience AS are almost always friendly and helpful whereas on DL they are sometimes indifferent and going through the motions, but I have also had great experiences on DL. If you want to booze it up AS will have two runs of the drink cart and will also provide refills on request, have seen some comments lately about DL cutting back in C+. Can pre-order food on AS, don’t believe DL has that option. Depending on future travel plans DL of course has a much larger network so if you plan on much travel on the East Coast DL may be a better bet.
jakeller likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by Blaire951
I’m not sure but premium class has a $0 up charge so maybe it’s because I’m booking last minute.
Correct, you're booking into one of the more expensive main fares that automatically opens PC for MVPG and above.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
MVPG on AS flying AS >>> Silver on DL flying DL:
  • if indeed you can select PE at booking, it’s a lot better than having to wait until T-24 to have a shot at C+
  • the likelihood of a comp F upgrade on AS is typically considerably higher than on DL
  • pre-order meal regardless of cabin
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Blaire951
I’m not sure but premium class has a $0 up charge so maybe it’s because I’m booking last minute. Ticket costs $430 one way.

I checked and flying through PDX or SFO is a lot less convenient and less flight options and more expensive. I have future plans to visit SF so I’ll get those segments in naturally
Looks like the fare class permits an instant UG to Y+. All other things being equal, I'd take the flight that gets me to NYC at the time I'd prefer to arrive. Like IFE on a real screen that isn't taking up your tray table? DL. Want what seems to be guaranteed Y+? AS. Can't stand JFK T7? DL. Can't stand JFK T4? AS. Some chance at an F UG? AS.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:04 am

Flew JFK-SEA in DL Comfort and the IFE screens are nice as was the 321neo interior, but there wasn’t much in the way of BOB from what I recall and just the standard two drink carts and bag of snacks otherwise. The AS Y+ legroom seemed better.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Flew JFK-SEA in DL Comfort and the IFE screens are nice as was the 321neo interior, but there wasn’t much in the way of BOB from what I recall and just the standard two drink carts and bag of snacks otherwise. The AS Y+ legroom seemed better.
I'm not sure why since it IS a revenue generator, but AA and DL seem to be super slow to the BOB in Y party....the BOB options in Y on AS are light years better than most.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
My thoughts on this….

what’s important to you…the time you arrive? Meal on plane? Seats you get?

Order something for plant or buy something st airport? SEA has decent food options inside secuity. Thr later flight you can safely get lunch.

730 am flight means getting to airport by 6am so early transit there. Getting a shuttle at 530am might not be an option.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've been flying between FLL/MCO & SEA on DL (not as much on AS), and the Delta A321s are a delight. Much nicer in Y than anything else on AS metal right now, although the lavs are a bit of a squeeze.

And the "free" wifi is quite nice...
Old Dec 9, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
I would take AS alone for the miles and Premium seat, just remember BYOD.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
If you are MVP Gold then you may have some Gold guest upgrades in your Alaska account that you can upgrade with now to First if the fare class is high enough. They may be expiring on 12/31 so might nlbe worth using if youe fare class os high enough. But if you are already within your complimentary upgrade window,I wouldn't bother.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
I’m a two decades Alaska loyalist. I’m not far from becoming a million miler.

but at the price you’re quoting - spring for Mint on JetBlue. You’ll never regret it!
VirtuousKangaroo and manacit like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
On DL you have to ask them about BOB, I don't think they sell it proactively because they probably don't provision enough for everyone. It's just a choice between a chicken salad sandwich and a fruit and cheese plate, both are priced around $12 IIRC. AS has a much larger selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.