Wiki Posts
Search

Argh.. 400 miles to MVP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Cool Argh.. 400 miles to MVP!

Hey all,

Longtime United 1K here in PDX has jumped over to any airline that gets me there! Meaning Delta and Alaska mostly. I don't do redeyes! Sorry, United.

Anyway, I'm 400 miles short of MVP, so I really hate that. I'm thinking of flying a quick cheap trip just to get those miles. Crazy not to, right? All the rest of my flights this year are on Delta. So, if I book a Saver fare to SEA and back, I'd easily make it and it's hella cheap, but I read the small print and it says SAVER fares earn 30% of Main Cabin? Does that refer to earning elite earning miles too? Also, any other ideas to score this ridiculously low number of miles?

Thanks.
Rachel
Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rgmdb
Hey all,

Longtime United 1K here in PDX has jumped over to any airline that gets me there! Meaning Delta and Alaska mostly. I don't do redeyes! Sorry, United.

Anyway, I'm 400 miles short of MVP, so I really hate that. I'm thinking of flying a quick cheap trip just to get those miles. Crazy not to, right? All the rest of my flights this year are on Delta. So, if I book a Saver fare to SEA and back, I'd easily make it and it's hella cheap, but I read the small print and it says SAVER fares earn 30% of Main Cabin? Does that refer to earning elite earning miles too? Also, any other ideas to score this ridiculously low number of miles?

Thanks.
Rachel
The Saver fare no longer earns 500 minimum miles, so you'll just have to book regular coach. Or you could do saver fare one way, and regular the other direction (two one-way tickets) since all you need is 400 miles.
rgmdb likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

One way Main and one way Saver should do the trick.
rgmdb likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by rgmdb
Hey all,
but I read the small print and it says SAVER fares earn 30% of Main Cabin? Does that refer to earning elite earning miles too? Also, any other ideas to score this ridiculously low number of miles?

Thanks.
Rachel
Yes. 30% EQM https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

PDX-LAX is pricing similar to PDX-SEA and would get you the miles you need, even with Saver.

or book a one way PDX-SEA Main fare and take the train/bus back?
williwaw, beckoa and rgmdb like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Or get an AS Visa, spend $3k, earn 60,000 miles, and charge an additional $7k by the end of November to get 2000 EQM (and a companion ticket cert for next year)

Spend $10K on AS Visa, Get 2,000 EQM (5/1/2013)
rgmdb likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AA BE (saver) fare to LA if cheaper - book on AA, credit to AS.
rgmdb likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Or ow on an award.

Heck, go for broke. Plenty of time for another 20,400 miles in 2023 MVPG still is a nice place to be.
rgmdb, himang and 737maxspotter like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Or ow on an award.
Wait, award flights earn EQM?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Wait, award flights earn EQM?
No, but the OP could fly a cheap one way to earn the minimum 500 EQM and then return on an award to reduce cash outlay. Or vice versa.
rgmdb and ijkh like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. These are the details I was unsure of!

Last edited by rgmdb; Oct 24, 2023 at 10:01 am Reason: accidentally hit post too soon.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Yes. 30% EQM https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

PDX-LAX is pricing similar to PDX-SEA and would get you the miles you need, even with Saver.

or book a one way PDX-SEA Main fare and take the train/bus back?
That's a fun idea. I can get Ivar's clam chowder on the train. : )
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Currently 562 miles short of MVPG, although I should requal once I fly SFO-BOS on Nov 19.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.