Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Easy-breezy global travel: Verify your passport from home with AS’ Mobile Verify

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easy-breezy global travel: Verify your passport from home with AS’ Mobile Verify

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...tional-travel/

Beginning today, guests traveling internationally on Alaska flights and using U.S. or Canadian passports have the option to use our new Mobile Verify program. This means no longer needing to wait in line in the lobby or at the gate to have a customer service agent check your documents — you can take care of this step safely and securely from the comfort of your home ahead of time.
Full details: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...port-lobby#idv
I wonder if this will support two different passports in the same profile (American and Canadian).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
About time. Just the other day the app made me enter all the passport info for the two of us… and then aborted the checkin with a message that we had to show the passports to the airport agent. Status was “not checked in”.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 8:59 am

Very nice. Too bad you have to downloads another app to verify first and that app scans the passport NFC. Way overkill compared to other airline app where you can just scan/take photo within the airlines app.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Very nice. Too bad you have to downloads another app to verify first and that app scans the passport NFC. Way overkill compared to other airline app where you can just scan/take photo within the airlines app.
I agree 100% I guess it is part of the new "lobby" experience. "Lobby" forms part of the url link.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...port-lobby#idv

James
notquiteaff and anteater like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Just downloaded and entered my info successfully. However going. To Vancouver with the kid in a few weeks and will still need to check in the traditional method for kid. Not sure if it will accept the kids passport in the kids phone
Old Aug 30, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
This is sad that it still isn’t a functionality for Alaska. For American, in 2020, I could use the tap function with my iPhone in the AA app to scan my passport.

how is this still such a challenge?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Just downloaded and entered my info successfully. However going. To Vancouver with the kid in a few weeks and will still need to check in the traditional method for kid. Not sure if it will accept the kids passport in the kids phone
Kids have to be 13 or older
Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by pipeliner
Kids have to be 13 or older
will wait for that time.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mikexner
This is sad that it still isn’t a functionality for Alaska. For American, in 2020, I could use the tap function with my iPhone in the AA app to scan my passport.

how is this still such a challenge?
The share of international traffic for AA is substantially more than it is for AS, making it a higher investment priority.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
I posted another thread on this as this thread did not mention the Airside app. I think it's a terrible experience

I am presently in Cabo with my family, checking into fly back tomorrow. except, now Alaska forces you to enter your passport details into an app called Airside. You'd think there would have said something in advance rather than forcing users into using this new app when in another country. The process to enter the correct information for my kids on the same booking is not present - both because if they don't have a device, they can't enter info (ie one device per person), you have to enter a large amount of PII into an app that no one seems to know about (as indicated by searching for "airside" in the Alaska forum. It has a couple of cool features (nfc scamming) and you can get a BP to go through without lining up. However, the workflow for entering detail is not good, single user per instance and no alternative is offered when you hit the wall. i eventually checked in via the web.

If Alaska IT is reading this, you gotta do better than this. Frankly, if we are part of a test group, it would have been nice if Alaska told us or at least informed people there was a new requirement before their trips...

airside=2/10 for me

/iain
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is going through all this this really more convenient than just showing up at the airport with your passports and checking in normally?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is going through all this this really more convenient than just showing up at the airport with your passports and checking in normally?
absolutely not in Cabo or Canada as the 2 places I’ve been. This frustration and process (relatively speaking) is not of any added value as the time it takes for our family with status is typically minimum to start.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:11 pm

There are a number of these passport verification operations running. WestJet and IAG among others use Zamna. United says your information will be processed by an unnamed 3rd party.

With the amount of hacks and breaches happening that we barely get information about even when our data been compromised, not something I plan to bother with.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
My wife and I tried it out for the kicks of it, and we now have mobile boarding passes.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Agree 100%...I tried the AA "tap" the passport method as well as the "scanning" method and neither worked after multiple tries prior to an AA trip from Europe last month.... total waste of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.