Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 40%-Off OGG Fares to Support Maui Local Businesses (8/28-10/18/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

We’re offering 40% off your next flight to Maui between today and October 18 so you can show your support by visiting these local businesses (and many more). Additionally, the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea is providing a 20% discount for your visit and the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort is offering your 5th night free.
Code MAUI40
Purchase By: 11:59 p.m. PT on August 31, 2023.
Travel Valid From: August 28, 2023.
Travel Complete:October 18, 2023.

We have had a trip scheduled for early September; first class was so empty that I contemplated not using GGUs for the flight home. Since the promotion dropped, only 5 or 6 seats were available, so I burned 2 of my remaining GGUs for the return - particularly in light of the reports of the upgrade shenanigans that often take place at the gate.

I ended up changing the original reservation, which was booked with a companion certificate, paid for the replacement ticket. I did not realize that it was possible to change such tickets and still keep the companion fare.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks!! Wow, Covid-like prices. Some pretty nice mileage run opportunities... especially from California. Just picked up a OGG>SAN for $151 (main cabin).
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
Thanks!! Wow, Covid-like prices. Some pretty nice mileage run opportunities... especially from California. Just picked up a OGG>SAN for $151 (main cabin).
Is that one-way or roundtrip? AS had a few sales of CA (SJC to be specific) to OGG/KOA for as low as $129 (main cabin) earlier this year.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:40 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Is there a link to this promo anywhere? I did not receive an email about this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
It doesn't seem to be publicized and I didn't get an email about it (yet) so really I wouldn't know about it if I hadn't seen in on FT. In this particular case, I'm just guessing, but I think this is intentional on Alaska's part given the circumstances. I did book a round-trip for October and there was no U space either direction and quite a few seats already filled so not the empty planes others are seeing lately. I suppose some of those seats could be filled with passengers who just haven't cancelled yet or are waiting to decide later on.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is that one-way or roundtrip? AS had a few sales of CA (SJC to be specific) to OGG/KOA for as low as $129 (main cabin) earlier this year.
The real deal in this promo is that PDX/SEA are available for closer to what have become the "usual" prices for the flights from California.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
no landing page, but here's the link from the email:
https://www.alaskaair.com/planbook?e..._100000_499999
aisleorwindow likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I got the email, and it appears targeted to people who flew AS to Hawaii in the last year. I went to OGG last November.
Because you have traveled to Hawaiʻi with us in the last year, you might be interested in how to continue supporting the Maui community’s recovery – including through your travel.
aisleorwindow and beckoa like this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
One-way... and I didn't check any other cities in CA so there might be better deals out there. I just had somewhat of a reason to go to San Diego and am going to do some mileage running by the end of the year to reach 75K. And, Maui is DEAD right now and I'm basically out of work. FC on both flights for early next week is essentially empty so I'm basically getting FC fares for $151 each way.

Same here... no email and couldn't find it on a search. I actually went back through my emails to see if missed it and did get something about Maui on 8/16 but it was just the usual corporate, "we care and are doing all we can," statement with no promo code.

Originally Posted by czpdx
I got the email, and it appears targeted to people who flew AS to Hawaii in the last year. I went to OGG last November.
Yeah, it's funny - of all people I'd think I'd be on their list since I live here and fly back and forth 10+ times a year. Maybe their database is smart enough to rule me out since I live here and am not a candidate to travel here? Seems like a stretch for the glorious AS IT but I suppose anything is possible.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Same, I got the email and I traveled to Maui last November. I go nearly every November / December. Unfortunately I can’t go in October. I don’t think people should be using these codes as mileage run opportunities. The intention is to help the Maui economy. Doing a MR turn to OGG does not help the locals.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I received an email tonight from HA, with a primer on Maui, as well as some very good deals on flights:
From LAX and LGB starting at $82 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $122 for Main Cabin
SAN starting at $109 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $149 for Main Cabin
ONT starting at $119 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $159 for Main Cabin

Now waiting for WN... perhaps AS will be forced to do something more broad.

Tourism or other government agency can offer airlines some type of incentive, as they will more than make it back in hotel and sales taxes, keep the economy from crashing.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
I received an email tonight from HA, with a primer on Maui, as well as some very good deals on flights:
From LAX and LGB starting at $82 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $122 for Main Cabin
SAN starting at $109 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $149 for Main Cabin
ONT starting at $119 OW for Main Cabin Basic, $159 for Main Cabin

Now waiting for WN... perhaps AS will be forced to do something more broad.

Tourism or other government agency can offer airlines some type of incentive, as they will more than make it back in hotel and sales taxes, keep the economy from crashing.
Hopefully the hotels will offer similar incentives....
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
those remain out of whack so far - maybe it's real with so much capacity unavailable maybe hotels are trying to maintain absurd pricing for future positioning despite very low occupancy..
i assume airbnb etc are more driven by market demand but those are usually not an option for quick weekend MR..
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Got the same email myself. Was checking fares from ITO today (btw, wish AS served ITO, maybe one day- if anything for the approach - watched a NAC 734 and HA 717 on final today)

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Same, I got the email and I traveled to Maui last November. I go nearly every November / December. Unfortunately I can’t go in October. I don’t think people should be using these codes as mileage run opportunities. The intention is to help the Maui economy. Doing a MR turn to OGG does not help the locals.
Ok... if one is spending time on Island for the day, buying food and using services, I think this does contribute. Not as much as overnighting a few nights, but still helps. Keeps hotels free for others who need on island too.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The email offer had a few options, didn't check pricing. Also didn't really look at rental cars as dates appear to be a bit restrictive for me (I'm occupied during reasonable airfares).
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
maybe hotels are trying to maintain absurd pricing for future positioning despite very low occupancy..
i assume airbnb etc are more driven by market demand but those are usually not an option for quick weekend MR..
I think you nailed it here on both points. I can tell you firsthand the hotels down in Wailea are empty so it somewhat surprises me the rates are so high but I think they are expecting tourism to come back and south Maui is pretty much it for Maui now. Definitely a gamble, though. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the corporate offices of the big resorts (or wherever the decisions are made).

As for Air BnB, etc., it's ultimately up to the owners and they seem to be panicking a bit quicker but despite low rates they are still not booked much. My wife owns two units and we are in close contact with a manager of a 30 unit building and despite low rates it's still pretty much crickets. Maybe a slight uptick in reservations in the last few days. Really, since things like this promo came out and the word is getting out that the island still needs tourism. I think a lot of people just want to be respectful and it's a tightrope walk for sure.
StrandedinLA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.