Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 40%-Off OGG Fares to Support Maui Local Businesses (8/28-10/18/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS 40%-Off OGG Fares to Support Maui Local Businesses (8/28-10/18/2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 5:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The flights I booked during the sale for October are far from empty at least 50% or more of the seats are taken...it's not looking good for an elite upgrade on the way back even as a 75K... only about 4 or 5 seats left and of course no U space.
I set up an Expert Flyer alert for U space and immediately got an alert. I was able to upgrade both directions. I'm glad, as I think there is only 1 seat available in F each direction.
beckoa and TheBeerHunter like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
We came to Maui instead of NC thanks to Idalia and this discount. We had U availability both ways, booked at Ekolu Village in Wailea using Hyatt points but have eaten out every meal. Car was $25/day+airport charges. Happy to give some spend love to Maui. Coming back next Friday thanks to the discount.
SanDiego1K, LIH Prem and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stephem
BTW- every other carrier seems to be having similar sales, and you don’t need a discount code.
During the time of this promo, UA filed fares in the lower fare buckets that also required purchase by 9/1. AS was still coming out a bit lower, at least out of SFO.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I set up an Expert Flyer alert for U space and immediately got an alert. I was able to upgrade both directions. I'm glad, as I think there is only 1 seat available in F each direction.
Nice! How far out was each flight when U space opened for J1?
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by anteater
Nice! How far out was each flight when U space opened for J1?
Not quite 3 weeks.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Another “sale” for Maui. $99 or 10k miles one-way from select cities (the usual hub/focus suspects). Lowest fare I see from my PNW out station is $219 Saver one way. No thanks.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...rodID:FareSale
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Another “sale” for Maui. $99 or 10k miles one-way from select cities (the usual hub/focus suspects). Lowest fare I see from my PNW out station is $219 Saver one way. No thanks.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...rodID:FareSale
Yeah, it's kind of a "clickbait" sale. Basically, California to OGG... Ironically, as I type this my wife is sitting at her computer swearing at the cost. She has to get to the mainland (PDX) somewhat unexpectedly for some business and was excited at the $99 fare... and keeps looking. I feel bad watching and should tell her to give up.... or rent a car and drive from SFO
StrandedinLA and notquiteaff like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:29 am

Maybe AS just has too many seats from CA to OGG if they need to give them away....

Nothing to do with the fire, but Maui is definitely my fourth favorite of the four major islands to visit. Still a great destination of course, but, there are others.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mtofell
Yeah, it's kind of a "clickbait" sale.
Quite the award sale, too

TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Quite the award sale, too

Yeah, AS sure holds those earlier flights from SEA>PDX in high regard. I'm heading over in about a week and miraculously grabbed an 8:30 PDX arrival (from OGG, via SEA) for $179 (main) during the 40% off sale. My nephew will be so pleased that he doesn't have to pick me up at 2AM.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Good deal but unimpressive. Sept to November 15 is the lowest of the low off season (because kids are back in school, no snowbirds etc) and pre-pandemic the fares typically ran $99-149 one-way. But of course nice to pretend its all done to help Maui. No it's done to shore up your mediocre loads.

That said I concur maybe this is a good MR opportunity for those who have time. I've done this route on UA in the past as its a nice easy turnaround, often on the same aircraft, sometimes with just enough time for a quick meal.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Maybe AS just has too many seats from CA to OGG if they need to give them away....

Nothing to do with the fire, but Maui is definitely my fourth favorite of the four major islands to visit. Still a great destination of course, but, there are others.
The only way to make Maui work for me financially (other than a one day mileage run) would be to stay at least a week and get a condo...it's really not a 2-3 day destination. With limited vacation days and $$, I prefer multiple shorter trips throughout the year rather than hang out for a week or two in one place. LIH, KOA, and especially HNL are WAY easier to find reasonably priced hotels and even the award nights are at far more affordable levels. With that said, I did get in on the 40% sale which was an actual sale unlike the current one and booked it for just the day since you can arrive at 9am and take the red-eye home via SEA, 13 hours is plenty of time to relax and enjoy the day there.
Boraxo, beckoa and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

And for myself and many, many others, Maui is the best of the Hawaiian islands.
Big Island - bunch of lava rocks
Kauai - rainy, misty jungle, too cool and and rather uneventful
Oahu - tropical Las Vegas
Maui - paradise, amazing beaches, food scene, weather, and relaxed attitude. Maui no ka oi!
Boraxo and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Flew home on AS882 today OGG-LAX. Maybe about 85 pax total on a MAX-9, though F was full!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.