Wiki Posts
Search

Passing of Don Bateman

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
Passing of Don Bateman

Don Bateman, who I think could be considered the inventor of an early version of what became the Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System, died on May 21, 2023, in Bellevue, Wash.

I knew a little, but learned much more from the obituary in the New York Times. I believe there was also one in the Seattle Times. It was interesting to learn how his interest in airline safety began at the age of 9 after witnessing 2 military planes collide outside his classroom window.

It was sad to read of his re-tracing of the route of AS1866 and reaching the conclusion his invention wouldn't have prevented that 1971 crash. But after the TWA514 crash on December 1, 1974, the FAA mandated the use of his improved device.
(Sad, strange coincidence that another B727, NW6231, also crashed that day due to other causes).

He seems like a true, "unsung" hero who potentially saved many lives.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Thanks for sharing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Donald_Bateman

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/02/t...eman-dead.html
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Fascinating fellow, I was unaware of him, which seems ironic given the nature of his most significant contribution to our safety.

I find it amazing that he retired from Honeywell at the age of 84 and hope I can beat that record.

Thank you for sharing!
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for his engineering skill
Avherald.. News: He probably saved more lives than any single person in aviation history
He probably saved more lives than any single person in aviation history
By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, May 26th 2023 18:05Z, last updated Friday, May 26th 2023 18:05Z

Flight Safety Foundation's CEO stated: "It is accepted within the industry that Don Bateman has probably saved more lives than any single person in the history of aviation."

Don Bateman, inventor of the GPWS and dedicating all his life to aviation safety, passed away on Sunday (May 21st 2023) aged 91. Don began working as electrical engineer with Sunstrand Corporation and subsequently joined Honeywell for most of his career, and pioneered the Ground Proximity Warning System in the late 1960s (the related patent was granted in 1976) subsequently improving the system into EGPWS as well as other innovative and cost effective avionics devices.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.