Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
STARLUX Seat Assignments for AS-issued tickets

Currently, the STARLUX website does not recognize AS-issued bookings for seat assignments. To get a seat assignments, use chat or call STARLUX.

Moderator Note

Because AS is JX’s only US partner, there is lot of interest here in its service, inflight product and FTers' general experiences. For the time being, STARLUX comments and reviews (especially J and PE) will be welcome in this thread.

There is not a dedicated JX forum on FT (discussion is the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” forum). Please try to keep posts at least a bit related to AS, if possible. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator

Print Wikipost

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Not to drag this into political territory, but I suspect that if OneWorld wants to attract a mainland Chinese airline they won’t be able to do that and have STARLUX as a full member as well.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Not to drag this into political territory, but I suspect that if OneWorld wants to attract a mainland Chinese airline they won’t be able to do that and have STARLUX as a full member as well.
I mean, United has both EVA Air and Air China as Star Alliance partners.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Yet somehow Air China, Shenzhen Airlines, and Eva Air can still coexist in Star Alliance?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by hpmh

I mean, United has both EVA Air and Air China as Star Alliance partners.
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Yet somehow Air China, Shenzhen Airlines, and Eva Air can still coexist in Star Alliance?
Touché; didn’t know that!
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
IIRC Air China owns a very large stake in Shenzhen Airlines and there's probably some coordination that goes between the two. Pre-pandemic it was CA launching long haul services out of Shenzhen, not ZH.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA
Likely the greater barrier to Starlux joining Oneworld is Cathay, who as a founding member has veto rights over new members joining. Neither of Air China and EVA were founding members of *A so while they may have had objections they did not have veto power.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
Likely the greater barrier to Starlux joining Oneworld is Cathay, who as a founding member has veto rights over new members joining. Neither of Air China and EVA were founding members of *A so while they may have had objections they did not have veto power.
although I would note that unlike EVA and China Airlines, Starlux doesn’t currently serve mainland China. I doubt they’d ever agree to it but I could envision a scenario where they agree not to serve mainland China and in return CX lets them into oneworld.

or they go for a connect membership
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Touché; didn’t know that!
EVA and China Airlines entered Star Alliance and SkyTeam after the Mainland Chinese carriers were already in the alliances. In fact, Air China sponsored / mentored EVA.

JX's founder was running EVA when EVA entered into Star Alliance, did Hello Kitty Jet, etc.

I think JX's strategy is "grow first so they can get better terms entering into agreements / alliances."
moondog and Violin1990 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Is there any info of when Starlux availability will appear onto AS booking system?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
although I would note that unlike EVA and China Airlines, Starlux doesn’t currently serve mainland China. I doubt they’d ever agree to it but I could envision a scenario where they agree not to serve mainland China and in return CX lets them into oneworld.

or they go for a connect membership
The cross-strait routes are highly contested. Mainland China is Taiwan's largest (> 40%) trading partner and people go back and forth all the time.

There is no Open Sky agreement between Taiwan and Mainland China. Taiwan has rules on how it allocates those routes and frequencies to its airlines. This is also part of the reason that EVA still has UNI (B7) and China Airlines still has Mandarin (AE) - more entities, more flights.

Starlux came much later. They also started operations on 23 January 2020, just as COVID started.

Even before COVID, Mainland China only allowed transit through TPE from very few second or third tier cities. This was because Mainland carriers did not want to lose the business to BR and CI, not politics. Right now, people holding the PRC passport are not allowed to fly to Taiwan without entry permit for Taiwan.

Starlux will focus on transit traffic with its limited fleet for now and there is a lot less barrier for O&D outside Mainland China right now.
moondog and uanj like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Carfield
Apparently Starlux is looking into SFO, as their second North American destination. That will be great especially Starlux can use some connection flight on AS.
SFO makes sense from a population and demographic sense, but Seattle would be much more ideal for connection purposes.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by dayone
I would.
Same. OW being arguably the best alliance. As stated up thread, I’m hoping JX eventually ends up in OW. No such thing as too many Asian partners.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like SFO year end and SEA mid 2024.

https://www.worldjournal.com/wj/stor...reaknews_index
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by dayone
I would.
Originally Posted by olouie
Im willing to put money that doesnt happen anytime in the near future (3-5 years at least). It cost a ton to join OW and they get a lot more out of it vs. going free agent again.
I’ve heard rumbles from corporate management of displeasure with AA for essentially promising all these wonderful intl flights out of SEA and the new “WCIA” - West Coast International Alliance with AA, AS even hired a director of WCIA.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I’ve heard rumbles from corporate management of displeasure with AA for essentially promising all these wonderful intl flights out of SEA and the new “WCIA” -
Hey, they can always call up their buddies at Boeing and order up some 787s and do it themselves

#ProudlyAllBoeing
PDXpress likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.