Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No Free Checked Bags for Companions of OW Status Holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Free Checked Bags for Companions of OW Status Holders

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Thumbs down No Free Checked Bags for Companions of OW Status Holders

While AS offers free checked bags to those who have OW status, it does not offer free checked bags to companions on the same reservation. AS does offer this benefit to its own elites. (See their checked bag fee page for more detailed info.)

This strikes me as very odd; isn't free checked bags for companions pretty standard? I know for sure that AA and BA extend the benefit to everyone on the same reservation. Especially during ski season, there are times when a family traveling together would have lots of checked bags. Guess I will just stick to WN or AA for those trips ...
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Apparently, the OW agreement does not require them to extend free bags to additional passengers on the same PNR as a OW elite. I don't necessarily see that as being unfair (unless of course it is required by OW). At least, there is one benefit that AS elites are not "competing" with hoards of OW elites for!
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted by formeraa, free bags for companions of OW status holders is not a oneworld benefit. A couple of OW airlines seem to provide free baggage to companions while others do not.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
sometimes its merely a technological issue with fare rules & baggage rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.