Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Saver vs Main as OWE (AA Exec Plat) - Bags/Premium/etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec

I'm an AA Exec Plat / OWE. I've flown a handful of AS flights both as AA codeshare and direct AS and have enjoyed the perks of Premium and (while solo) numerous first class upgrades. That said, I'm planning a trip with my son (no status) and had the following questions, particularly around Saver vs Main fare codes:

1. If I book saver as OWE for a party of 2, will they extend free baggage to me and my companion? For example, AA extends full baggage elite benefits even on their "Basic Economy" fares, including companions.

2. Am I eligible for Premium class seating for me and my companion? For example, AA allows Main Cabin Extra seat selection at time of booking for Sapphire and above Elites and their companions.

3. Not sure if this has changed, but I've struggled to get upgrades on AS as OWE when traveling with a companion. My understanding is I have to get on the airport/gate list and hope for the best, is this still the case? This isn't a huge issue either way, but I've always been curious if AS will move this benefit to an OW companion.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I've got my eye on an AUS-SEA roundtrip with a super attractive Saver fare. If it operates like AA's Basic Economy, elite benefits apply with the exception of flight change flexibility.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:26 pm

On a saver fare, you will only get your baggage allowance and advanced boarding group. No seat selection, no premium class, no upgrades.
olouie likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
And to answer your third question, yes you and your companion on the same PNR are eligible for upgrades as a AA EXP.

​​​​​​This page https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp explains your benefits on AS pretty well.

One unfortunate quirk to note though - sometimes AS likes to release upgrade inventory space slowly, one at a time, in the hours leading up to departure. And if you have multiple travelers on a PNR then AS won't upgrade just one of you. What this can mean is if you have a companion and AS releases a single upgrade seat, it'll go to the first solo traveller... And then after that upgrade clears if they release another seat, again since there's only 1 it'll go the next solo traveller. So that can lead to getting bypassed even if you should've been higher on the upgrade list which is unfortunate.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by remyjette
And to answer your third question, yes you and your companion on the same PNR are eligible for upgrades as a AA EXP.

​​​​​​This page https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp explains your benefits on AS pretty well.

One unfortunate quirk to note though - sometimes AS likes to release upgrade inventory space slowly, one at a time, in the hours leading up to departure. And if you have multiple travelers on a PNR then AS won't upgrade just one of you. What this can mean is if you have a companion and AS releases a single upgrade seat, it'll go to the first solo traveller... And then after that upgrade clears if they release another seat, again since there's only 1 it'll go the next solo traveller. So that can lead to getting bypassed even if you should've been higher on the upgrade list which is unfortunate.
My experience traveling with my spouse last Summer was that with a companion, we werent automatically put on the list and were forced to ask to get on the airport list. Is that still the case?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by BrianV
My experience traveling with my spouse last Summer was that with a companion, we werent automatically put on the list and were forced to ask to get on the airport list. Is that still the case?
As long as you are on the same PNR you are both automatically added to the upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.