Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Early to Arrive at SFO for 7AM Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

I have a 7am domestic departure tomorrow morning (Sunday). Recommended time tp arrive os 2 hours beforehand. Is this accurate from those of you familiar with SFO, and especially an early Sunday morning flight.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:50 pm

So many factors play into this. Do you have checked luggage? Mobile boarding pass? Precheck? Clear?

With carry on phone and mobile boarding pass I just arrive 30-40 mins early with precheck and clear.
Aliquot likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie
So many factors play into this. Do you have checked luggage? Mobile boarding pass? Precheck? Clear?

With carry on phone and mobile boarding pass I just arrive 30-40 mins early with precheck and clear.
Yes checked luggage. SFO-AUS on Alaska and UA from AUS-IAH. Will try to get luggage checked from SFO to IAH. Yes I have Global Entry and Clear.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
I've seen some massive massive lines in T2 recently, but with Clear only took 15 minutes or so to get through
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by diverg
Yes checked luggage. SFO-AUS on Alaska and UA from AUS-IAH. Will try to get luggage checked from SFO to IAH. Yes I have Global Entry and Clear.
Is that all on a single ticket? I didnt think AS and UA interline luggage but not sure if can you buy both on same ticket. If you have checked luggage you want want to get there earlier - use the automated machines and bag drop if there are lines.

With precheck and clear TSA shouldnt take more than 5-10 mins.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:22 am
Original Poster

What can I expect flying Alaska Air first class on a domestic flight? I've nevef flown with them before. Any amenities at SFO if there is time? On board?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by diverg
What can I expect flying Alaska Air first class on a domestic flight? I've nevef flown with them before. Any amenities at SFO if there is time? On board?
Depending on flight date lounge access may be included for paid tickets. In flight you get a meal, drinks including alcohol and snacks for that length of flight.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by olouie
Is that all on a single ticket? I didnt think AS and UA interline luggage
They have interline agreements (both ticketing and baggage), but that doesn't mean you can check bags through on separate tix (assuming that's what OP has). UA certainly would not do it. AS might, even though UA is not a partner. AS is pretty customer-friendly about these things.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have never understood the issue with arriving early to the airport. If this is something you don't want to miss, your flight, then why not show up 2hrs or more before the flight. I mean are you really going to show up 45 minutes before the flight, to save an hour and 15 minutes? You say it's an early flight so my guess is all your doing is saving an hour of sleep. But if it were me I'd be loosing sleep just wondering if I'll make my flight the next day since I'm only getting to the airport 45 minutes before departure. Just get there early and be done with it.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
I have never understood the issue with arriving early to the airport. If this is something you don't want to miss, your flight, then why not show up 2hrs or more before the flight. I mean are you really going to show up 45 minutes before the flight, to save an hour and 15 minutes? You say it's an early flight so my guess is all your doing is saving an hour of sleep. But if it were me I'd be loosing sleep just wondering if I'll make my flight the next day since I'm only getting to the airport 45 minutes before departure. Just get there early and be done with it.
Yup, and I always allow for most contingencies, such as "Bay Bridge Closed," "BART delays due to medical emergency" or whatever might occur within reason. What I didn't expect was coming close to missing an AS flight arriving 3 hours in advance, on a day of serious IROPS where AS didn't tend to those passengers that had actual departing flights that were actually operating on time before tending to people that didn't have planes, and no availability for 3 days. And since it was an international connection, BPs were inhibited and we needed to see an agent to verify docs and issue BPs and bag tags.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I'd budget about
20 minutes for baggage check. I usually wait 2-10 minutes in the elite check in line at SFO.
10 minutes, with Clear and PRECHECK (and no-issues). (20 minutes with CLEAR only) Pre-Check is on the right of the terminal 2 screening area. Without Pre-Check, head to the left of the screening area.
5 minutes to walk to the gate.
30 minutes of time in the lounge/restroom/coffee or for unexpected delays.

Plus, I'd depart for the airport earlier than usual
20 minutes for traffic delay because the weather forecast expects rain.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
This is all good, but everyone's situation is different. For road warriors flying week in and week out, losing necessary sleep is unnecessary when simple prep can minimize time spent at airports - e.g. no checked baggage, paid services such as CLEAR/TSA Pre.

I have flown 200K+ miles annually in each of the last few years, and have never missed a flight.
WrightHI, _fx, chrisl137 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is all good, but everyone's situation is different. For road warriors flying week in and week out, losing necessary sleep is unnecessary when simple prep can minimize time spent at airports - e.g. no checked baggage, paid services such as CLEAR/TSA Pre.

I have flown 200K+ miles annually in each of the last few years, and have never missed a flight.
That's a good point, and I'm sure that's true. I fly way more than most, but way less than some.

I guess I figured if the OP was a road warrior flying 200k+ miles that they wouldn't even bother asking a question about timing at SFO. Figured this is your "normal" traveler wanting to be the last person on the plane or the 1st person on the 5 o'clock news hollering about long TSA lines and how they missed their flight.
firecracker725 and Tack like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Just to answer OP (even it is kind of late now): TSA Prechk @ SFO took nearly 45 minutes @ T2 for whatever reason ! and I never see the PC line -that long !!! and this is at 7am of 1/14/23.

I cross to Terminal A later ( 9am?) and it only queue with 15 pp line so I think that about normal ( as of recent memory).

Clear line is , of course, very short !

And AS 1st-class luggage drop, is also short: kudos to AS
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Irrelevant to OP at this point, but Clear. I will never get rid of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.