Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Per the 2023 Choice Benefit email from today the SWU certs won’t be emailed out until April 2023.

Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Per the 2023 Choice Benefit email from today the SWU certs won’t be emailed out until April 2023.
Good catch. The only reason I could see for these certs arriving in April is perhaps AA trying to avoid some competition for their own elites using SWUs? (I'm not sure when they receive it). If that's the case, can't say I completely fault it, but honestly giving certificates in April with an expiration of December the same year seems bogus. (Though I guess 12 months is just as arbitrary as 8-9 months)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Does seeem strange that we should be locked out of upgrades in Jan / Feb when demand is generally lower. I would have burned mine already if I could have!
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Did anyone have success using this last year?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Yes, Yes & Yes! Third yes thanks to a generous FTer that wasn't going to use theirs. I used one for AA LHR-LAX in F just to add another Carrier F to my list. What a disappointment. AA departs LHR T3 so no Concord lounge access, no FFD in LAX on arrival. We did get a "soup" course in the air, which I ordeted but never got.

The others, upgrading BA flights to EU from PE to J. One flown, one coming up in 10 days. If I had more, I could have used them.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
I used both of mine too - one a fantastic redemption MIA-SCL, the other - because time was running out in mid-December - meh on GYE-MIA.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:10 pm

I wonder if the April timing is due to AA resetting their elite calendar years to March?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Yes, bought AA economy ticket for $488 and upgraded to business DFW to NRT using the certificate. However, it does take some work to find the flight to use.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zdfld
The only reason I could see for these certs arriving in April is perhaps AA trying to avoid some competition for their own elites using SWUs?
That's the last thing AA cares about.

Perhaps AA's IT team is too busy canceling confirmed SWU reservations to deal with the AS SWU right now. SWU / upgrade cleared then reversed (merged threads)
Originally Posted by olouie
I wonder if the April timing is due to AA resetting their elite calendar years to March?
Makes as much sense as anything else. But AA allows its own elites to select SWU as a benefit anytime between when the benefit is earned and December 31 of the year following.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
I used both of mine too on AA SEA-LHR in April for me & Mrs the42ndstate. “Flagship” biz.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Had no problem using mine last year on JFK-CDG and LHR-JFK. Waitlisted for both and upgrade cleared on both.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Yes, bought AA economy ticket for $488 and upgraded to business DFW to NRT using the certificate. However, it does take some work to find the flight to use.
I've never used the AA upgrade certs and pretty much fly AS domestically 100% of the time. However, I'm looking at a trip to New Zealand next year. Could you please expound on "it does take some work to find the flight to use?" I'm guessing you mean looking for a flight that has upgrade space available, which would be C class? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pipeliner
I've never used the AA upgrade certs and pretty much fly AS domestically 100% of the time. However, I'm looking at a trip to New Zealand next year. Could you please expound on "it does take some work to find the flight to use?" I'm guessing you mean looking for a flight that has upgrade space available, which would be C class? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Yup, finding the right flavo(u)r of C can be challenging (not a lot of space on most routes) and having an agent apply the swu correctly can also be challenging.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm guessing you mean looking for a flight that has upgrade space available, which would be C class?
It's a subset of C. The existence of C does not mean there's upgrade space.

Many reports of AA phone agents denying the existence of AS SWU or having no idea how to apply them. Then of course there's the need to reissue the ticket, which AA agents will not infrequently neglect to do, resulting in the SWU dropping off and a downgrade which AA will then refuse to remedy.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
You must find upgradable AA ticket but also have to find one that is reasonably priced. AA tends to be higher cost. It's best if you can find AA ticket that has immediate upgrade availability but if that is not possible make sure you get waitlisted on a flight that has a lot of J seats for upgrade. That's what I did and it worked. $3k seat for $488. Return flight I used miles to buy 1st class ticket on JL.
tobikosan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.