Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a subset of C. The existence of C does not mean there's upgrade space.

Many reports of AA phone agents denying the existence of AS SWU or having no idea how to apply them. Then of course there's the need to reissue the ticket, which AA agents will not infrequently neglect to do, resulting in the SWU dropping off and a downgrade which AA will then refuse to remedy.
Not OP, but how do we search for this subset of C on ExpertFlyer?

And do you know if it's complicated to resissue a ticket or is it just a few extra clicks or keystrokes, which numerous AAgents seems to forget? Is receiving an email confirmation with the relevant segments in the new cabin indication that the ticket has been properly reissued (again, if you happen to know)?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Not OP, but how do we search for this subset of C on ExpertFlyer?

This is the C bucket you want to select on the specific segment you’re looking to upgrade from Y to J with the SWU.

And do you know if it's complicated to resissue a ticket or is it just a few extra clicks or keystrokes, which numerous AAgents seems to forget? Is receiving an email confirmation with the relevant segments in the new cabin indication that the ticket has been properly reissued (again, if you happen to know)?
The process of booking/confirming the upgrade/reissuing the ticket seems to take a while (~10-15mins) especially if you compare it to dropping a code in when using a AS GGU, but it’s not difficult if you’ve researched the flights on EF prior and feed it all to them (if you’re booking and confirming the upgrade all in one go). Yup you’ll get a email with the info showing your confirmed seats, so you’ll know you’re all set.

As a piece of advice, I found some (daytime) EXP desk agents unhelpful, but all the evening/night crew I spoke to had been wonderful so I’d suggest trying then if it’s your first time. Maybe the lighter call volumes made them more willing to spend the time to really help a AS FF plan/use their SWU.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Feb 26, 2023 at 12:01 am
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Phone agents can't reissue tickets. The ticketing desk does that and it can take hours. It's an unbelievably lame process based - literally - on 1960s technology.

Contrast with UA, where you can do all this online, and the ticket need not be reissued. Not pitching UA, just comparing the IT and relative difficulty levels of the processes. AA's is awful.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have to cancel an AA flight for my son and I that I successfully attached two AA upgrades I received from making 100K. Any idea what happens to them now? I know in last years forum it was said they would still be available. Thx
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
Phone agents can't reissue tickets. The ticketing desk does that and it can take hours. It's an unbelievably lame process based - literally - on 1960s technology.

Contrast with UA, where you can do all this online, and the ticket need not be reissued. Not pitching UA, just comparing the IT and relative difficulty levels of the processes. AA's is awful.
That does sound awful. That also sounds like the product of bureaucracy/policy, rather than anything technical, as if AA grew up in a time (it probably did) when an independent ticketing desk was important and the legacy of that merely continued. Kind of like a supermarket that still has dedicated baggers.

I was once at an intl out station, where, during check in, my travel companion was told his recently-changed ticket hadn't been reissued and he couldn't check in. This was easily solved by the check-in agent re-issuing the ticket. So I've indirectly experienced this hiccup, but it seems airport people can do it too?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger

The process of booking/confirming the upgrade/reissuing the ticket seems to take a while (~10-15mins) especially if you compare it to dropping a code in when using a AS GGU, but it’s not difficult if you’ve researched the flights on EF prior and feed it all to them (if you’re booking and confirming the upgrade all in one go). Yup you’ll get a email with the info showing your confirmed seats, so you’ll know you’re all set.

As a piece of advice, I found some (daytime) EXP desk agents unhelpful, but all the evening/night crew I spoke to had been wonderful so I’d suggest trying then if it’s your first time. Maybe the lighter call volumes made them more willing to spend the time to really help a AS FF plan/use their SWU.
Thank you! Specific replies like this are very helpful to any FTer trying to learn something new. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Once again and another example of AS being treated like the red-headed stepchild by AA. Whether it's lounge access or SWU sent in April, AS MVP 100K get the short end of the stick with clueless AA employees. You know that AS treats AA EXP like rock stars and we have to beg for our benefits. Why do we have to wait until the year is half over to get the upgrade certs?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:41 am

Wonder if these will be sent out towards the end of April?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by hsumh316
Wonder if these will be sent out towards the end of April?
I believe AS is waiting until April 31st. /s

It is a bit disappointing that these aren't scheduled to be issued until Q2. Hopefully, AS improves this perk for next year. 🤙🏻🍹
hsumh316, pmblinn and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Once again and another example of AS being treated like the red-headed stepchild by AA. Whether it's lounge access or SWU sent in April, AS MVP 100K get the short end of the stick with clueless AA employees. You know that AS treats AA EXP like rock stars and we have to beg for our benefits. Why do we have to wait until the year is half over to get the upgrade certs?
Because otherwise we would use them during the slow season before Summer comes.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
I believe AS is waiting until April 31st. /s

It is a bit disappointing that these aren't scheduled to be issued until Q2. Hopefully, AS improves this perk for next year. 🤙🏻🍹
Maybe that means they will "accidentally" give them out to those of us who recently requalified for 75K due to the Q1 promotion....one can hope, right?
tobikosan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:05 am

April 18 is the new April 31.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 100k
Aa certs are here

perhaps I can you use them
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Just got the email with the SWU's.

Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:09 am

+1 for receiving it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.