Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let the Mileage Run Games Begin! (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I think I'm done with MRs for a bit, barring cheap fares popping up for April. I was really hoping to have flown a bit more, but it is what it is. There's always Q4.

-J.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I think I'm done with MRs for a bit, barring cheap fares popping up for April. I was really hoping to have flown a bit more, but it is what it is. There's always Q4.

-J.
Agreed. Last few days of cheap flying season (assuming you have purchased those tix in advance). After Labor Day and October should be another block of cheaper fares.

I thought I was crazy in the amount of MRs I fly, but some of y'all are on another level ​​​​​
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM
Somewhat relevant side-topic - interesting article from 2016 about how the domestic majors have made mileage runs increasingly irrelevant.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/07/mileage-run-dead/

AS seems to be the only US airline that focuses on distance alone, but my hunch is that credit card spend will increasingly play a larger role in terms of achieving status, even for AS elites.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Not exactly an MR but did a quick family visit for the weekend, since I managed to GGU both legs SFO-BOS-SFO. If anyone's on Monday 3/6 AS356 BOS-SFO let me know, I'm in 2A!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Not exactly an MR but did a quick family visit for the weekend, since I managed to GGU both legs SFO-BOS-SFO. If anyone's on Monday 3/6 AS356 BOS-SFO let me know, I'm in 2A!
Aw man missed you by a day, I'm on SFO-BOS-SFO for 3/7 and 3/8
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I applaud you all! I've only done 4 transcon mileage runs and I'm tired. That with organic travel only has me at 29k EQM so far. I have a Europe trip coming up and other domestic spring/summer travel so I'll evaluate in Q3/Q4 what I need to bridge the gap to 75k. Hopefully there will be some good AS deals in the fall.
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
My wife needed 10k for MVPG. CMH-SEA-CMH, CMH-JFK-SFO-JFK-SFO-SEA-CMH. She got one upgrade to 1st as an MVP, had 2 flights delayed and 1 cancelled. 2 hotel nights on certs. 13,644 mi for $1231=9 cpm. Our goal used to be nmt 6 cpm.
What is your cutoff cpm? Did you do better than 9 cpm?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Yikes. I won't do a MR if it's more than 8 cpm. Was looking at some ANC itineraries for next month and got them down to around 7ish, though flying ANC-FAI-ANC and then to points southeast seems like a little overkill.

I was first sucked into AS when they had the 50% off sales and I was getting sub-2 cpm.

-J.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Yikes. I won't do a MR if it's more than 8 cpm. Was looking at some ANC itineraries for next month and got them down to around 7ish, though flying ANC-FAI-ANC and then to points southeast seems like a little overkill.

I was first sucked into AS when they had the 50% off sales and I was getting sub-2 cpm.

-J.
8 cpm would be a no-go for me.....I generally prefer to keep mileage runs at 5 cpm or less by:

1. Concentrating my mileage runs during mileage run "season" (January/February/October)
2. Using the companion certificate--I don't usually book mileage runs without my spouse because that would result in one of us not having the same status and it would result in too much time away from each other on weekends.
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75
Recovering from an extended Sat/Sun transcon (ANC LAX FLL LAX SEA ANC) at a CPM of 6.3 cent/mile or $594 for 9431 BIS miles in 28 hours. In all cases, miles hit my account within minutes of landing. Even better, the 20K mileage challenge posted on the return leg to LAX and triggered FC upgrades on the next two flights Note to self, the SEA overnight from midnight to 6am should be avoided. One coffeeshop open, that's it. Even the self-driving robot floor cleaners were bored.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Aeroplan 50k, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
usually the transcons to boston, nyc, fll are the ones i do, just to get the cpm around 4-5. more than 6 i try not to touch. i usually keep an excel sheet with the distances locked with the formula inputted so i can just check quickly what the cpm will be.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriotts Titanium, OWE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
8 cpm would be a no-go for me.....I generally prefer to keep mileage runs at 5 cpm or less by:

1. Concentrating my mileage runs during mileage run "season" (January/February/October)
2. Using the companion certificate--I don't usually book mileage runs without my spouse because that would result in one of us not having the same status and it would result in too much time away from each other on weekends.
This is my exact strategy. I am also PDX based. I also do 1st week in December for my season.

5 cpm or less, companion cert., in main cabin because we have about a 70% upgrade success.

Just did our last PDX-EWR-PDX mr for the winter season. 40k bis so far this year. We may hit 100k this year with our international travel.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:30 pm

This seems sweet if you're willing to be in saver (wow at the upcharge to main). With segment minimums this is over 6000 EQM, right?

notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
This seems sweet if you're willing to be in saver (wow at the upcharge to main). With segment minimums this is over 6000 EQM, right?

This reminds me of the mileage run deal back during the VX days when you could buy a SFO-LAX ticket and connect in FLL or JFK---anyone remember that one? I crossed the country twice in one weekend and since it was VX (crediting to AS), there were no elite upgrades to F....the middle seat in the last row on JFK-SFO was the real low point of the trip.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am in CA next week, and am doing a turn on my day off: SJC-OGG-SJC.
beckoa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.